Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Error: Cannot move file

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by AdamKane, Aug 27, 2016.

1. AdamKane

AdamKane

What's the next step to take after getting "Cannot move file"? I got this just after doing a large update (35 revisions).

Thanks

2. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

Hi @AdamKane
    Check your editor.log or editor-prev.log to see what file can't be moved. Usually this is the result of a file that has been deleted on your local disc, or has been moved to a different nested location on your local disc.

The error should look like:
    If you do not see that error, try launching Unity from command line with the -enableCollabEventLogs parameter. This is a TON of extra logging. If you need assistance parsing the mess (its a lot) submit a bug and ping me back the bug case # :)

thank you so much for working with us, Adam! It really makes the product better!

AdamKane likes this.
  3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Got this also but there is no known named file that's the problem, not sure how to proceed.

4. Tinovdk

Tinovdk

Not sure if this is related as I also have conflicting files that won't resolve, but in addition I'm also getting the 'Cannot move file' error. As @holliebuckets instructed, I ran unity with the suffix "-enableCollabEventLogs" and attached the log to report which can be found here: 828852_1i6krnvjsh9gtlii

TM06.gif

In the meanwhile, is there any way I can bypass this issue and continue work? ^^

Update: I tried to remove the project and download it again from the cloud which gave me this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8443942/ShareX/2016-09/Unity_2016-09-04_13-12-28.png

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    SgerbwdGwyn likes this.
  5. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

Looks like you may be unblocked. Thank you soooo much for the bug report! I'll reply to that just to confirm it is resolved for now.

Tinovdk likes this.
  6. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

Starting to see more of these due to orphaned meta files. We are working on a fix, but in the meantime checking the Dashboard and/or clearing your Unity Temp file should help :)

SgerbwdGwyn likes this.
  7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

OK I will instruct to clear temp files, thank you! Can you give advice how to avoid this?

8. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

I wish I could, hippo <3 It more like: sometimes a file moved to a folder that was edited that was in a different folder at one time that....

Once I get a better grasp on the root cause, I'll have a much more concise answer and then a FIX. If for some reason the Temp folder doesn't work, the last resort is to delete the project locally and re-download from the cloud.

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

That last resort is ugly when there's also changes they'd like to commit but have to deal with pending incoming first :)

This will get fixed eventually won't it? or at least give us good diagnostics and an ability to repair it within Unity... Not being pressury or naggy, just asking for features to help us use it.

10. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

Ya the last resort is above and beyond my least favorite. It forces the dev to put a ton of trust on the Server and after experiencing issues, that trust can be weak.

It will get fixed, as soon as we figure out what the root cause is. I can run around chasing specific cases but it won't help everyone. You are never naggy hippo ^_^ These are very real concerns and frustrations. I want it to be good. I'm with you :)

hippocoder likes this.
  11. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Well what did it this time was that I deleted a folder in plugins folder which had dlls (it was dotween pro) and updated it to the latest version, then moved that latest version into the plugins folder (where I try to store all plugins/middleware). At least I think that's the behaviour that caused it.

It would be a common scenario actually: many asset authors recommend that developers delete the old version before installing the new version, perhaps that's a clue or something, made worse by a move as well.

holliebuckets likes this.
  12. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

@hippocoder i think we found it. we are pushing a fix to a dev environment today. I'll use your exact repro steps and test that the fix works before updating you further/passing out more false hopes.

I appreciate you so much!! Thank you so much for all your help/efforts!!

13. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

14. Mulegames

Mulegames

Hey, was wondering what the state of this is at? Our team is running into the same "Cannot move" issue due to .meta files (according to the editor.logs), specifically when anyone does an asset re-import. Is there possibly just a best practice to take for this? I would assume delete, commit, import, commit?

15. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

@Mulegames it is still a known issue as our fix is a bit larger and will require some heavy testing before we can push it live. The best workaround is to re-create a dummy .meta file on the machine with the "Cannot move" error, then pull. You *should* be fine after that, but there may be a couple of pushing back and forths before the dummy file is completely resolved.

If you run into specific issues with your Gaia plugin, could you start a new thread for that one? I'm very interested in tracking any issues surrounding plug ins too!

16. Otto_Oliveira

Otto_Oliveira

Hi,
    I just had that error.
    @holliebuckets I didn't understand where to place the dummy .meta file and how to know which file is missing.

Thanks

17. br0kenp0ly

br0kenp0ly

Still getting the same error every now and then too. Any info on when you`ll release the bugfix?

18. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

Check your editor.log. You will see something like "Cannot Move File" and then below there there should be a path to which file cannot be moved.

19. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

hi!
    Could you confirm what version of Unity you are on?

20. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

Hi, still getting this on 5.50b6

21. br0kenp0ly

br0kenp0ly

Latest official release --> 5.5.0f3

22. QuentinLG

QuentinLG

Just had the same:

[Collab] FindMovedFile failed:
    Cannot find moved file Assets/testcontroller.mat -> Assets/Materials/testcontroller.mat

And this actually prevent any merge, so you just get stuck there.
    It's true that I deleted the file in the local version and moved it somewhere else in the remote. But I should be asked which file I want to keep (or here whether I want to ahve the file moved or deleted) instead of just being stuck.

I fixed it by creating an empty material named testcontroller.mat in Assets, but that shouldn't be needed.
    And then I had an warning for merge comflict with "there are 0 merge conflict" and I couldn't dismiss it (nor fix the 0 conflict ^^'). So I restored to the previous commit (which is where I should have been after the merge).
    At which point I realized that restoring to this previous commit removed the content of a folder that I had added to the collabignor!!! I could have lost some work there... Things that are in the collabignor should be left untouched by both push and reset (if collab is running git behind the scene a reset shouldn't impact those files).

Note: using Unity 5.5.0x1-CollabPreview on Windows.

23. Ponshuu

Ponshuu

Heyo! This issue is still occuring in 2019.4.1f1. Restoring to the most recent last commit does resolve the issue, but of course that means I lose any work done on my end that wasn't already committed. (Thankfully not a huge issue as I'm keeping backups of all source files, but still quite risky & inconvenient!)

upload_2020-6-27_16-4-33.png

Attached Files:

Mojo-Game-Studio likes this.
  24. Mojo-Game-Studio

Mojo-Game-Studio

25. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Mojo-Game-Studio, could you try closing Unity, opening your Project's root folder, going into the Library/Collab folder, deleting the CollabSnapshot file, reopening your Project, wait for it to resync with Collab and then see if you can publish again?

26. Mojo-Game-Studio

Mojo-Game-Studio

I solved it by just deleting the oculus folder and then applying the collab, then I just reinstalled the oculus package, hand for me it was just the oculus package dll's causing problems, so easy enough to fix the problem, next time if it happens I'll try your method...thanks

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  27. jeffries7

jeffries7

I've just had the same issue that @Mojo-Game-Studio mentions above. The only way I was able to fix this was by deleting the entire Oculus folder. I tried the solution @ryanc-unity suggested as well as just deleting the .dll but neither worked for me.

Mojo-Game-Studio likes this.
  28. Halno

Halno

I have been having this same issue since a few days ago and neither of this solutions is working for me, unfortunately.
    I am working in a project with few other people and this problem it's being a total headache.
    I will try to explain what exactly happened to us:

- I was working in an asset, when I ended working in it I made a prefab out of it and I uploaded it in the Collab.
    I think the problem is, that there was already a prefab of that asset, but I did not know at the moment.
    - Another person (which we will call Person 2) in the project downloaded my Collab update. Then, he had some Collab merge problems with the material of the prefab, and he chose the server version (MY version, to be clear).
    - The next day, I had to start working in another PC, but this time it was a Mac (my previous PC and Person 2's PC which I mentioned earlier were using Windows 10).
    When I tried to download the project, I had Collab merge problems with two files related to this prefab material which had the .meta extension.
    - Later in the day, another of my work companions (Person 3) tried to download the project in his machine (another Mac), and had the same issue as me.
    - We logged in in the account that I used to upload this Collab update that started to give us problems, and we found out that the prefab of this asset was cloned. We deleted the "wrong one", copied the folder which contained this asset, replaced this exact folder in Person 2's project and update it in the Collab.
    - I tried to download the update in my account in the Windows PC. I had merge problems, so I copied the correct folder, deleted the wrong one and replaced it. When I clicked Collab after doing this, it freezed for like 5 seconds and then correctly updated it, it was solved!
    - But that does not work in Mac. If you copy the folder, delete the wrong one and try to replace it, Unity instead of freezing for a few seconds will just crash, close and not update at all.

We have tried many things: deleting the ENTIRE project and downloading it again, copy the "correct" folder and add a fake .meta file with the same name as the file that is giving issues (which was mentioned earlier in this thread), tried to update to a previous version of the project (which we even could not do) and neither of it is working.

This issue is blocking us, since the people which is using Mac can not download the actual version of the project in the Collab in Unity, which means that also they can not upload anything they work on.

We need a fix as soon as possible, and we would really appreciate some help here. Sorry if my post was too extense, but I wanted to explain this issue with detail.

We are using Unity version 2019.4.2f1.

29. j-swerve

j-swerve

I'm getting this error. I'm using unity 2020.1.0b6.3521. It keeps saying a .dll file cannot be moved. Specifically, it is a file for wwise, a sound program for unity.
    At this point I've tried everything and nothing works. I have a ton of work uncommitted so I can't just redownload my project from cloud.

Though one thing I would do if there was an option is remove a commit because it's the most recent commit that causes the unity collaborate to not work. Please help.

1. How can I remove a commit that is causing the issue
    2. Or what is a better way to fix the issue

Why is this issue so frustrating I mean I've literally been working on my project for over a year and a half and all the sudden I can't use collaborate ??? like It's just really sad that this issue has been around for years and it's still unresolved ??? need answers please ????????