Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Error about TMP Dropdown

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Rachan, Dec 2, 2023.

1. Rachan

Rachan

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    PlayerHUD.AddLog (System.String log, System.Boolean replace) (at Assets/Santhai/Scripts/GUI/PlayerHUD.cs:646)
    Santhai.Play2DSound (UnityEngine.AudioClip soundfx, System.Boolean multiple) (at Assets/Santhai/Scripts/GamePlay/GameData.cs:2942)
    Santhai.PlayButtonSound (System.Boolean mul) (at Assets/Santhai/Scripts/GamePlay/GameData.cs:2806)
    GUIOptionMenu.EquipOption (System.Int32 type) (at Assets/Santhai/Scripts/GUI/GUIOptionMenu.cs:71)
    UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCall`1[T1].Invoke (T1 args0) (at <30adf90198bc4c4b83910c6fb1877998>:0)
    UnityEngine.Events.UnityEvent`1[T0].Invoke (T0 arg0) (at <30adf90198bc4c4b83910c6fb1877998>:0)
    TMPro.TMP_Dropdown.SetValue (System.Int32 value, System.Boolean sendCallback) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.textmeshpro@3.0.6/Scripts/Runtime/TMP_Dropdown.cs:431)
    TMPro.TMP_Dropdown.set_value (System.Int32 value) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.textmeshpro@3.0.6/Scripts/Runtime/TMP_Dropdown.cs:406)
    GUIOptionMenu.LoadSetting () (at Assets/Santhai/Scripts/GUI/GUIOptionMenu.cs:383)
    GUIOptionMenu.OnEnable () (at Assets/Santhai/Scripts/GUI/GUIOptionMenu.cs:130)

I using Unity 2022.3.14f1 and I got this error every time I back to main menu scene
    What happen? and how to fix?

Thanks!!!

2. spiney199

spiney199

It's just a null-ref from your own code. You need to investigate your own code here.

Rachan likes this.
  3. Rachan

Rachan

Thank you very much!
    But I can't even know where...

I just go to playing scene and other playing scene,
    and then move back to first scene (mainmenu)
    and then this Error log will show up!

4. spiney199

spiney199

Do you not know how to read stack traces? It literally tells you where the error happened. PlayerHUD.cs at line 646.

Rachan likes this.
  5. Rachan

Rachan

this is when I double crick to that error
    Code (CSharp):
    1. void SetValue(int value, bool sendCallback = true)
    2.         {
    3.             if (Application.isPlaying && (value == m_Value || options.Count == 0))
    4.                 return;
    6.             m_Value = Mathf.Clamp(value, m_Placeholder ? -1 : 0, options.Count - 1);
    7.             RefreshShownValue();
    9.             if (sendCallback)
    10.             {
    11.                 // Notify all listeners
    12.                 UISystemProfilerApi.AddMarker("Dropdown.value", this);
    13.                 m_OnValueChanged.Invoke(m_Value);
    14.             }
    15.         }
    and this is line 646

Code (CSharp):
    1. DropdownItem item = itemToggle.gameObject.AddComponent<DropdownItem>();
    and I can't even changing anything in this script, if I modified something and save, then it restore to before.

6. spiney199

spiney199

Likely the error opens the Unity UI package code because it happened in a callback. Still doesn't change the fact that the error is in your own code.
    itemToggle
    is null. Figure out why it ends up null and fix it.

Rachan likes this.