Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Erosion Brush - a tool to paint terrain with noise and erosion

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Wright, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Elzean

Elzean

As soon as the terrain is not in the root it doesnt work for me, is there a way to fix that ? It's very inconvenient in my current project :/

2. Adragen

Adragen

I think thatis the problem i am having, assuming tc2 does not create terrain in the root location.

3. AaronC

AaronC

Hi Denis, love your erosion brush!

If using in Beta 5.5.0.9 and beyond, people may find they need to add

using UnityEngine.Profiling;

At the top of the script.

Thanks again Denis!

sturentzler likes this.
  4. Ebonicus

Ebonicus

upload_2016-11-8_20-20-18.png

@Wright

I paid for this extension and keep getting errors. The debugger points me to this code section.
    After fixing other errors about unused variables that are no longer used but still active in the code, I got a worse error.

I purchased a license copy from Unity asset store, and and the bitcoin code keeps generating an error about inaccessible websites. Why does your extension have bitcoin mining code warning in the DLL? Probably a scare tactic for torrenters, which I understand, but I am a paid user. I just expect a fully functional piece of software that doesnt cause debug warning pointing me to a bitcoin warning.

I will report this to Unity a full refund. I am just trying to learn, I dont have time to waste debugging a paid extension, or worrying about my machine being used as a bitcoin miner.

Such a shame, I really like the erosion tool, a lot, and your videos are really nice. I will need to contact Unity for a refund.

5. Jaimi

Jaimi

@Ebonicus - that'
    That's a warning, not an error. It's saying "hey, this code will never, ever be executed. Just an FYI". If it offends you, delete the whole block (starting from line 600 t0 611).

6. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

Imports into an empty project with 10 warnings!

7. Ebonicus

Ebonicus

I have decided to keep erosion brush, it is just too nice of an extension, and its simple to use. Look at this beautiful terrain I made in just a few minutes:

upload_2016-11-15_8-56-51.png

I would like to have the developer know that some warnings should be repaired, every time I import from the asset store into a new project, I have to fix the same errors to clear all the warnings. I don't even know if I am commenting out code that might be needed. That is undesirable for somebody that is new to Unity, and a paid user.

Here are some of the errors:

upload_2016-11-15_8-51-59.png

DesertRaven likes this.
  8. Jaimi

Jaimi

Those are only warnings, they do not need to be fixed unless you just want to fix them. They are informational messages to the developer. Fixing them or not fixing them will have no effect on the running of the code. You can turn off the display of them in the console if you want, by clicking the yellow triangle.

9. Ebonicus

Ebonicus

Thank you, I understand this. But I like to fix all of my own warnings and errors, and I cannot see them when buried under a bunch of warnings from an asset that continuously appear. If I make a habit of ignoring warnings, I might be missing something I should fix.

Adam-Bailey and DesertRaven like this.
  10. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

I really dig this plugin, just wish for a few more options.
    I create terrains from hand drawings, with specific designed areas, I like this tool because it makes a more believable looking terrain out of a rough sculpted version easily.
    I'd like to have more texture painting options added, like slope and height depended parameters. Are you planing to add anything like this in the near future?
    I've looked at map magic, but here I can not put together a terrain based on a specific design/drawing.
    Sometimes we don't want a random generated terrain.

11. alamonelf

alamonelf

I enjoyed the tutorial video and wanted this tool to build transition in Gaia terrains. However even in a clean project Unityv5.5.0f3 say....

-----CompilerOutput:-stdout--exitcode: 1--compilationhadfailure: True--outfile: Temp/Assembly-CSharp.dll
    Compilation failed: 2 error(s), 1 warnings
    -----CompilerOutput:-stderr----------
    Assets/ErosionBrush/Scripts/Extensions.cs(191,30): warning CS0618: `UnityEditor.EditorUtility.SetSelectedWireframeHidden(UnityEngine.Renderer, bool)' is obsolete: `Use EditorUtility.SetSelectedRenderState'
    Assets/ErosionBrush/Scripts/Layout.cs(479,5): error CS0103: The name `Profiler' does not exist in the current context
    Assets/ErosionBrush/Scripts/Layout.cs(618,5): error CS0103: The name `Profiler' does not exist in the current context
    -----EndCompilerOutput---------------
    - Finished compile Library/ScriptAssemblies/Assembly-CSharp.dll
    Assets/ErosionBrush/Scripts/Extensions.cs(191,30): warning CS0618: `UnityEditor.EditorUtility.SetSelectedWireframeHidden(UnityEngine.Renderer, bool)' is obsolete: `Use EditorUtility.SetSelectedRenderState'

(Filename: Assets/ErosionBrush/Scripts/Extensions.cs Line: 191)

Assets/ErosionBrush/Scripts/Layout.cs(479,5): error CS0103: The name `Profiler' does not exist in the current context

(Filename: Assets/ErosionBrush/Scripts/Layout.cs Line: 479)

Assets/ErosionBrush/Scripts/Layout.cs(618,5): error CS0103: The name `Profiler' does not exist in the current context

(Filename: Assets/ErosionBrush/Scripts/Layout.cs Line: 618)

ok maybe it says something a liitle different in the console so I dug up something for copy paste here.

12. JBT27

JBT27

I'm getting this too in 5.5.0p1, and there are a couple of new reviews also citing this. Can it be fixed please?

13. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

Another dead asset. :(

14. JBT27

JBT27

No - Erosion Brush was updated this morning - just checking it out.

Voodoo_ZA likes this.
  15. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

I'am supprised!

Voodoo_ZA and JBT27 like this.
  16. alamonelf

alamonelf

TY
    This worked for me.

17. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

Would it be asked to much to add a few brushes for trees and grass depending on slope? distance to objects?

18. AlejandroDaJ

AlejandroDaJ

Hi, Denis, will you consider updating the tool to support terrains that have non-1:1 width and height and aren't located at 0,0,0? Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  19. Jaimi

Jaimi

I'm not the developer, just a user like you! :)

The developer is Denis Pahunov.

20. AlejandroDaJ

AlejandroDaJ

Whoooops, probably should have read more carefully!

21. Kajamaz

Kajamaz

I'm having issues, I want to remove the Noise Brush from my project, BUT IT KEEPS RETURNING NO MATTER HOW MUCH I DELETE IT! How do i get rid of it?

22. FLevato

FLevato

Just purchased Erosion Brush 1.52 and it's useless. The brush position is so far off I can't even see where I'm painting. The manual says to toggle the "Fix Unity5 Brush Positioning" to on to fix this, but there is no option for this under Erosion -> Settings. How can I get this to work?

_Luthien_ likes this.
  23. _Luthien_

_Luthien_

Hello Denis,

maybe you remember our discussion about the bug I had on a mac with your Erosion Brush, where the location of the mouse did not match with the location of the brush?

Together with another plugin developer (Nathaniel Doldersum of TerrainComposer) I was trying to get his plugin working, because nothing was showing up in the plugin window.

It turned out that that was caused by a difference in how the contents of the window are drawn. Apparently, this is different on Mac OS and Windows.

This also reminded me of the problems I had with your plugin. With Erosion Brush it was that the brush showed up in the exact centre of the window when the mouse was in the bottom right corner, which suggests that there is indeed a problem with calculating the window coordinates.

Because this was indeed the problem with TerrainComposer, the same issue might also effect your plugin in some way when used on Mac OS.

Best regards, Luthien

Hi Flevato, are you also using Mac OS?
    If so, you're probably having the same problem as I have. Let's hope that Denis can fix it.

24. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

I just picked Erosion Brush tool up today, version 1.52, and am using it on a Mac running Sierra and Unity 5.5.2p2.

I tried a test terrain, everything is okay.
    I tried making 4 separate terrains and tiling them, and then created an empty GameObject, and Erosion Brush wasn't working. After double checking everything and re-tracing my steps, I realized that I did not set GameObject's position to x/y/z of 0/0/0. I dragged terrains out of the GameObject, set the position, and then dragged the terrains back in... and it works.

One problem though is that the terrain seams do not appear to stay blended. Is there a way to fix this within Erosion Brush, close isn't good enough as I can not have visible seams.

It is also worth mentioning that I get this error in the Console:

MissingComponentException: There is no 'Terrain' attached to the "Terrain Group" game object, but a script is trying to access it.
    You probably need to add a Terrain to the game object "Terrain Group". Or your script needs to check if the component is attached before using it.
    ErosionBrushPlugin.ErosionBrush.AddGlobalUndo () (at Assets/ErosionBrush/ErosionBrush.cs:459)
    ErosionBrushPlugin.ErosionBrushEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/ErosionBrush/Scripts/Editor/ErosionBrushEditor.cs:327)
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditor (UnityEditor.Editor editor, Int32 editorIndex, Boolean rebuildOptimizedGUIBlock, System.Boolean& showImportedObjectBarNext, UnityEngine.Rect& importedObjectBarRect) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1227)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

25. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

Further testing seems to show that on multi-terrain editing, this does not make any changes to the terrain collision map.

26. sadicus

sadicus

[SOLVED] After much button mashing, it was "Brush Falloff" Unity 5.6 Following the Terrain tutorial with Erosion Brush #Unity
    ...Noise works, but Erosion is having no visible effect.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  27. gecko

gecko

Having problems with a multi-tile terrain. I put the Erosion Brush script on the parent, as shown in the video, but when I paint erosion around the edges of the tiles, there's clearly discrepancies in the heightmaps, creating cracks.

Also, Global Brush doesn't work at all, throws the error below -- is it possible to make that work?

MissingComponentException: There is no 'Terrain' attached to the "U.S.A." game object, but a script is trying to access it.
    You probably need to add a Terrain to the game object "U.S.A.". Or your script needs to check if the component is attached before using it.
    ErosionBrushPlugin.ErosionBrush.AddGlobalUndo () (at Assets/ErosionBrush/ErosionBrush.cs:460)
    ErosionBrushPlugin.ErosionBrushEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/ErosionBrush/Scripts/Editor/ErosionBrushEditor.cs:327)
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditor (UnityEditor.Editor editor, Int32 editorIndex, Boolean rebuildOptimizedGUIBlock, System.Boolean& showImportedObjectBarNext, UnityEngine.Rect& importedObjectBarRect) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1222)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

28. wwg

wwg

@Wright, any plans to add Megasplat support to Erosion Brush?

docsavage likes this.
  29. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

As @Wright didn't checked in here since August 10th 2016 I'm wondering if I should buy this asset or not as I need a erosion brush for my current project.
    - Does it work with 2017.3 versions of Unity?
    - Is there support for multi tile terrains?

30. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Works here in 2018.1b8, not sure about multi-tiling terrains.

31. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Ok, thanks. Good to know it works in 2018.x, however working or not with multiple tiles will be the decision maker.

32. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

If it does, I'm not sure how to access the feature.

33. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Didn't see it mentioned in the online documentation, if that is up to date.
    Contact info is on that page also.

34. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

I'ts definitely not updated since Version: 1.52 (May 11, 2017)
    A dead asset as long as support only U5.5 with all these bugs and warnings! o_O

PS: I hope unity can adapt this for 2018.

35. Jaimi

Jaimi

Erosion Brush works great in the current versions of Unit (2017.3). It will also work with multiple terrains. however, it only erodes the selected terrain.

36. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Did test the multi tile support with the trial version on the authors website. It is not throwing errors nor warnings but it only works on the current selected tile (as you need to assign the component to a terrain object, so multiple instances, one for each tile). So erosion cross tiles definetly doesn't work, which is a dealbreaker for me. Thanks for the info guys, I'm moving on looking for another solution then.

37. Jaimi

Jaimi

I just tried the setup above - Put Erosion brush on an empty game object, put multiple terrains under that game object, turned on paint, and it worked fine multi-tile.

38. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Maybe the free trial version does lack this as if I was attaching the component on an empty gameobject no UI was drawn in the inspector, which was working when attaching it to a terrain tile. Thanks for the information, so will reconsider buying just for the sake of gaining precious development time on other stuff.

39. Orcnized

Orcnized

Anyone an idea how to fix the brush offset bug? i'm using 2017.1.1.
    In the Readme file there is something mentioned about toggle on, but where i can find this option to turn it on?

40. MaximilianPs

MaximilianPs

2018.2.6f1 ... the bug still here :rolleyes:

41. MaximilianPs

MaximilianPs

*Got it...
    if you attach the script to a parent with many terrains as child, it will work but the "Brush Bug" still present.
    In any other case: if you attach the script to a single terrain it will work as expected.

Btw, even with the "Brush Bug" still works fine over tiled terrain without any kind of issue.
    It's a great tool!

* Can't change the noise Seed!

42. VisualTech48

VisualTech48

Hello there.

The issue with the offset is till there, is there any plan of fixing it.

Thank you

43. MaximilianPs

MaximilianPs

I can't even make it works on 2018.3 :-(

44. VisualTech48

VisualTech48

Yeah it seems to be broken for 2018 onwards.

45. Wright

Wright

Hi guys, it's been a while. Sorry for that. I'm currently making the next update that will
    - bring Unity 2018.3 compatibility
    - fix the noise seed
    and I'll try to reproduce and fix the other bugs users found, but I need your help to do that:

What exactly is broken in 2018? I've just run through the standard tests in Unity 2018.2 and it all seems to be working fine.

The only offset issue I'm aware of is incorrect brush positioning in Unity pre-5.6. It was a Unity terrain collision bug, and they have fixed it. "Fix brush positioning" toggle that is available in the older Unity versions to neglect that issue, but it has no sense in the latest versions.
    Is that is what you mean? Is it still occurred?

Is that the above mentioned offset bug or something else? Could you please describe the steps to reproduce it?

46. VisualTech48

VisualTech48

Cheers mate.

It happens if you move the terrain, which is an huge issue if you have multiple ones, or if you move even a single one.

If you need any additional information please let me know

47. Wright

Wright

Oh, I see. But only when you move a terrain's parent object, not the terrain itself. Right?

48. dadude123

dadude123

I'm happy to hear this will be updated! Erosion Brush is an awesome tool!

49. VisualTech48

VisualTech48

I'll check it out, but the terrain did not have a parent at all, but it was moved

50. Wright

Wright

New version is available at the Asset Store. It brings:
    - Unity 2018.3b compatibility
    - Fix when terrain has a parent object with position not equal 0,0,0
    - Noise seed value fix

VisualTech48 and MaximilianPs like this.
unityunity