Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Erosion Brush - a tool to paint terrain with noise and erosion

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Wright, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Autarkis

Autarkis

Oh great news @Wright! MapMagic looks cool, will have to see how you keep developing it, and hm, if you need any beta tester for a multi terrain EB I would love to take part in that :p

2. OUTER-GAMER

OUTER-GAMER

Hello! When we can buy in the Store MapMagic?

3. badapp

badapp

I just updated the EB to 1.31 and unity 5.2.3f1 and now the EB won't work, all I get is this error in the console... What am I doing wrong? Capture5.JPG

4. Wright

Wright

OUTER GAMER, I plan to release MapMagic this month, maybe a bit later - there are still some things to do.

Autarkis, thanks! I'll keep that in mind!

Trifecta3D, does this error occurs in demo scene? If not - could you please send me your scene with terrain and terrain data. And it's always worth a try clean install (remove EB folder and import it again) in case if some files were not updated - this happens quite often.

S_Darkwell, version with fixed pro skin is in Asset Store now.

PS Unity4-compatible version was updated and returned to Asset Store. Now it's similar to Unity5 version in all aspects except demo-scene.

DesertRaven and S_Darkwell like this.
  5. S_Darkwell

S_Darkwell

@Wright: Looks perfect! Thank you again!

- S.

6. Gregg-Patton

Gregg-Patton

I'm really liking erosion brush!

The global brush doesn't seem to apply textures, is this something it might do in the future?

DesertRaven likes this.
  7. badapp

badapp

I tried the demo scene and it works. I also tried starting completely new projects and that will not, so I don't know that sending my project would help. It seems that there may be some conflict with this newest release of unity.

8. Wright

Wright

S_Darkwell, you welcome )

Gregg Patton, just checked it out, and it seems that global brush applies textures. But since standard brush makes multiple stamps in one place and global brush applies only one stamp on all the terrain texture painting is very transparent. I think I should make some global brush paint factor in future versions.

Trifecta3D, if demo scene is ok then the problem is in the scene. I could not reproduce the bug neither in demo, nor in new scene (I've tested in Unity 5.2.3). So investigating your scene is the only way to find out what causes the error.

9. badapp

badapp

Ok I figured it out. If it helps you in the future the problem is with making terrains smaller than the 500 by 500 standard terrain that unity starts with.

10. Wright

Wright

Hm, checked out terrain of 100*100 with different heightmap and control texture resolutions from 64(65) to 1024(1025). And could not make an error to appear.

11. sathya

sathya

When building for Windows 8.1 i get lots of errors. Please refer the attached screenshot. using Untiy 5.3

Attached Files:

12. Wright

Wright

sathya, thanks for your report, I could reproduce the bug trying to build for Windows 8.1 platform using Unity 5.3. The bug is caused by dll-file. I'll try to find a way to include dlls in build, or renounce dlls (this is an approach I like less: compiled files works faster because of function inlining).

If anybody needs a quick fix please mail me your order num, and I'll send you non-dll script version.

13. Kiwi-Hawk

Kiwi-Hawk

Kia ora

Has there been an update the site didn't mention I see in the video there more sliders that I don't have like blur, wind Amount?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  14. Wright

Wright

Kiwi-Hawk, the last update was on December 3rd, 2015. Blur is now a part of downscale feature, and wind amount was just removed because it's just a version of blur that was implemented internally in generator.

15. InsideOutBoy

InsideOutBoy

I completely love this asset, one of the best I've ever bought, and so user-friendly. But...

I've had to stick with 1.2 since the latest update came out a couple of months ago. :( I just can't replicate the erosion effects that I'd tweaked in 1.2

I find it particularly hard to achieve a ruffled look in 1.3, and in general, the erosion feels less subtle. I use the global brush a lot but if I do that in 1.3, it tends to make the landscape either very jaggy or too smooth at the other end, whereas 1.2 gave it a great windblown, craggy appearance (once I'd set it up correctly).

For example these kinds of effects are really hard for me to produce in 1.3. No matter how I set, it would totally deform that mountainside.

I suppose I'm saying I wish the sliders hadn't changed in 1.3, as I think maybe something got lost in the process?

Anyway, thanks for the asset. 1.2 is glorious. :)

DesertRaven likes this.
  16. Kiwi-Hawk

Kiwi-Hawk

I got an email bacj from him saying he no longer support this sadly,. another asset store rippof

17. Wright

Wright

Kiwi-Hawk's post about stopping EB support is false and completely without merit. I have not stopped supporting EB, not going to stop support, nor ever wrote the messages stating it. The last pm to Kiwi-Hawk states explicitly:
    I believe it happened because of inattentive reading, or maybe the word 'not' lost somewhere in the wilds of the Internet during message deliver :)

InsideOutBoy, actually, this ruffled look appeared because of the algorithm drawback. I think I'll implement it (or similar effect) once again, but make it switchable. I can provide you wip versions so you could check whether it is the effect you want to achieve or not if you'd like to.

18. InsideOutBoy

InsideOutBoy

Thanks for the swift response. If the next version has some of the options back of the 1.2 version, that'd be awesome, even if you make it a toggle. 1.2 is probably my most used Asset Store purchase, I love it. :)

It's up to you, but if you want, send a wip version to farroadgames@gmail.com and I'll try to see if I can reproduce my 1.2 erosion results in it for you (when time allows).

Thanks for the help.

19. newfinalflashers

newfinalflashers

I updated mine and not working still :(

20. Wright

Wright

@newfinalflashers,
    It would be great if you could answer any of my posts. I don't know neither your EB version (it could be 1.3_u4 or 1.3_u5, they both available for download at the Asset Store), nor you Unity version. I'm afraid I cannot help you until I know what happened.

Btw @all, the ruffle is back! I'm testing the future EB release right now, so you can expect an update soon. And in addition, performance has improved markedly because of using MapMagic erosion calculations (it's same mathematical algorithm, but it got different implementation).

21. Autarkis

Autarkis

Awesome about the forthcoming update Wright :), is multi terrain erosion brush coming soon ? That's the one feature I'm definitely waiting for!

Also, in the latest version of EB, you have preset saving, but only in-script. Would it be possible to save a list of presets to a prefab ( like RTP and terrain composer and other assets do?) Would to great to maintain a full library of various presets outside of the script editor window for quick setups.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  22. newfinalflashers

newfinalflashers

How do I know which is mine sorry for not appropriately responding for 5.1.3f1

23. Wright

Wright

newfinalflashers, there are two EB versions on Asset Store:
    • the first one is made for Unity 4, I've never checked if it is compatible with Unity 5
    • the second one is Unity 5 version, which requires at least Unity 5.2.1
    So, when you are trying to download EB from Unity 5.1.3 the Asset Store determines that the Unity5 version will not run with your Unity (and that is true), so it downloads Unity 4 version - and this is really confusing.

Unfortunately I cannot make make EB compatible with early Unity 5 versions (there was a bug with updating terrain collider). It wouldn't be right to support numerous EB versions anyways. So the best way out is to upgrade your Unity version to 5.2.1 or later.

24. newfinalflashers

newfinalflashers

25. Xenonus

Xenonus

Can't wait for the next version with the reactivated ruffle. Just let me know, if there's a way to get it faster, then the store update.

26. Wright

Wright

27. Kiwi-Hawk

Kiwi-Hawk

I am humbly sorry good Sir the word NOT did get lost in translation and I was/am wrong, I'm also very pleased to see your still here there are so many assets that sadly now go without support, it please's me this is not one of them

Again I am terribly sorry for my mistake

28. Wright

Wright

New Erosion Brush version is available at the Asset Store. It has a ruffle parameter which randomizes erosion one the slopes to make it a bit more uneven. It also got an improved performance (especially when working without downscale).
    Enjoy!

Kiwi-Hawk, that's all right :)

29. Kiwi-Hawk

Kiwi-Hawk

Thank you for the update

30. ksam2

ksam2

I can set noise to terrain with this brush but how can I smooth noisy places?

31. Wright

Wright

I'm finalizing the new Erosion Brush version that will have:
    • Multiple terrain painting mode:
    • Dual mode - Noise and Erosion at the same time:

Any of the Erosion Brush users can take part in a new version beta test. Please mail me your order number If you'd like to participate.

ice2011, TheSeawolf and Adam-Bailey like this.
  32. khos85

khos85

Oooh, I like the idea of Multiple terrain painting mode! Can you paint textures in that mode too?

Wright likes this.
  33. Adam-Bailey

Adam-Bailey

Great work, I'll be emailing you my order number in the next few days for sure, excited to try that out!

Wright likes this.
  34. buttmatrix

buttmatrix

How effective is EB at including fine detail on terrain (e.g. m^2)? [EB seems quite effective at generating high-res brush strokes on a large scale, but is there sufficient granularity to 'touch up' terrain in detail?]

35. Autarkis

Autarkis

@Wright, loving the multiple terrain support coming soon :)
    @buttmatrix, what I do after a main erosion pass is completely is to go in with the noise brush at very low settings to bring back more details (and redo a little bit of erosion after)

Wright and buttmatrix like this.
  36. Wright

Wright

EB has a downscale parameter that can resize a height map before processing, but if it is set to 1 EB works with each every pixel. So you can create as fine detail as your terrain height map allows if the downscale is off.

Sure! I've just made a quick videos briefly demonstrating new features and I wanted to make them as compact as possible.

37. Angry-Hobbit

Angry-Hobbit

I just updated to erosion brush 1.5. It no longer paints the Crag or Sediment textures in either Erosion or Noise mode. Yes I have the Box checked and textures selected. It worked before the update. Any way I can roll back to previous version because the only difference I can see in this update is the fact that it no longer paints Crag or Sediment textures.

Well Luckily I had the previous version of Erosion Brush installed in another project. So I just deleted 1.5 update and went back to older version.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  38. Wright

Wright

Sure, I can send you any version you'd like. Just provide me your order number via email.

But it would be great if you could send me the scene with a terrain since I cannot reproduce the bug.

39. _Luthien_

_Luthien_

I am trying out the Erosion brush now for the first time on a little test terrain and it looks very promising!
    However, I cannot figure out how to work around the known issue "Fix Unity5 Brush Positioning" mentioned on page 8 of the readme.pdf of the Erosion brush asset ... it says there that I should Turn Toggle on to fix it.

I'm still a bit of a Unity newbie so forgive my ignorance, but I can't figure out what that Toggle should be?
    In the menu I found Game Object -> UI -> toggle, Game Object -> toggle active state and there's Component -> UI -> toggle / toggle group. But none of those seem to have any effect on the brush position or seem even related to this issue.

Can you tell me which Toggle is meant here?

Incidentally, other than the readme.pdf mentions, the regular terrain sculpt brushes do not have this issue. It's just the Erosion brush.

I use Unity 5.4.0. b18 personal, on OSX 10.11.5

Thanks for your help!
    Lúthien

40. Autarkis

Autarkis

The toggle is in the inspector in the erosion script portion. Scroll down, it's towards the bottom.

41. docsavage

docsavage

Hi @Wright, Love this asset. Just wondering if the mutliterrain editing is likely soon?

Thanks

Edit - Forget that. Thought it wasn't implemented as it wasn't working as in the video demo. I noticed an error message in the editor saying the script was trying to access a terrain that didn't exist. Checked it snf was one of the terrains was somehow corrupted as the terrain component was greyed out. Had this with other tools currently testing so not a fault of EB. Tried a new set of terrains and it works great. Thanks anyway.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  42. Wright

Wright

Thanks!

Glad you solved that out!

43. docsavage

docsavage

Hi Wright.

Sorry still having some problems. I have sent a private message to your pm but can't add images for some reason so I will add here. Thanks

First image is showing how the terrains start to come unstitched when doing multi terrain painting. I used the combined erosion and noise brush option.

Seperated.png

Second image is showing the error message I am seeing. The terrains and components are all active before adding the erosion brush script to the parent gameobject. Also note the circled area. That area was painted over but was unaffected by the brush. It just doesn't paint that area at all. The area is between terrains 0,0,0 and 500,0,0. I have had this problem everytime tested up to now.

UnaffectedArea.png

Thanks @Wright.

doc

Edit - using windows 10 64 bit. Unity 5.3.6 p2

Edit 2 - Forgot to mention that global brush doesn't work on multiple terrains. Not sure if this is normal. Thanks:).

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    adsc likes this.
  44. Adragen

Adragen

Hi, i just purchased this and m trying to use it on my existing terrain and it does not seem to work or be doing anything, i have the editor open am in paint mode but nothing actually happens when i paint. I'm sure i'm missing something but the pdf (documentation) that comes with this is pretty vague and am unsure if i have set it up correctly. I have even tried on a new terrain piece and it still does not seem to be doing anything, only thing that did work was the global paint option.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

45. Adragen

Adragen

Ok to update on my previous post it seems it does not want to work with my TC terrain, after creating a new terrain (2nd time around worked, 1st time did not) it seems to work but not with my Terrain Composer terrain is there a trick to get it to work or is it not supported with that terrain.?

46. docsavage

docsavage

Hi @Adragen,

I'm no expert ont his but i'd say make sure you have the script attached to the terrain or if you have multiple terrains try it on the parent gameobject of the terrains. Aslo if you are using TC2 then some of your node settings maybe resetting the terrains and over writing erosion brush. If that's the case make sure the nodes are switched off. But remember when you refresh it may undo all your work.

Hope that helps some

Adragen likes this.
  47. Adragen

Adragen

Hi, thanks for the reply but no luck unfortunately. The script is definately attached as i have all my textures etc within the textur section and am able to use the tool but it just doesnt do anything, my game lags as tho it is computing but nothing seems to be happening to the terrain.
    If i create a new terrain even in the same scene it appears to work on the new terrain but not on my existing terrain and all my nodes are off on tc2 so i was figuring maybe it needed to be unlocked to work but dont want to do that as i have made manual adjustments and tweaks to my terrain and for me to enable any of the nodes it wil basically break my level. Im gonna try a new scene with tc2 and eb and see if it works that way or not. I was really hoping for it to work now as there are areas that could really benefit this tool in this scene but i guess its just not gonna work :(

48. docsavage

docsavage

Hi @Adragen,

Only other thing I can think of is try some new project scenes without TC2 and see if you can narrow it down. Otherwise I'd see if Wright can advise.

Depending on your project it may also be worth looking at MapMagic by @Wright. It's got Erosion in as well. Worth a look.

49. Adragen

Adragen

hi, yeah will try a new scene over the coming days. I was looking at map magic but our team is already set up using world machine and tc2, i may still look into on a personal level, was just hoping erosion brush could have helped out on my current scene.

50. adsc

adsc

Is it just me or does the "Brush Spacing" setting not affect the noise brush? Also, it doesn't seem to allow me to change the seed, it's always reverting to 12345 immediately.

unityunity