Search Unity

Equiping stats modifinig item and loading into a game.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shobosa, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Shobosa

Shobosa

Hello,

thank you for taking the time to read this question. I am making a 3d based game that has a lobby system and an inventory area for player to add bonuses through gear. Once the player loads all the gear and joins the game the gear and bonus are not loading into the game with them. I like to learn on my own so I am not looking for someone to write my code. I am looking for someone to direct me to a tutorial or lesson where I can learn more about loading avatars into game base on the items they pick from the inventory.

thanks,

jesse

2. Anaxis_Studio

Anaxis_Studio

Once the player loads all the gear and joins the game the gear and bonus are not loading into the game with them.

Are you using DoNotDestroyOnLoad for the objects you want the player to take with them into the next scene? Are you persisting data?

https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Object.DontDestroyOnLoad.html

You don't mention how experienced you are with Unity or exactly what your problem is regarding persistence. Yet, it sounds like you are making a multiplayer game so it's a little confusing how something so small is causing an issue.

How are you associating these items/bonuses with the player? without knowing that it's almost impossible to help.

I'm going to make a few assumptions in order to help (if I understand you correctly).

So, you have a naked player and they start in Scene 1. This is where they can pick their clothes, weapons, bonus perks, etc. They then choose to "start game" and are subsequent loaded into Scene 2.

Your issue is that, when they are loaded into Scene 2, it's as a naked player, not a player with the clothes/guns/perks they selected. Are you persisting data? if not that is your issue.

Again, I have to stress there are multiple ways to do this so this is just one way you could "potentially" fix the issue.

1) create an empty game object in Scene 1.
    2) create a new script "PlayerChoices" and attach it to that game object.
    3) fill this script with attributes for the player

public int shirtColour;
    public int hairColour;

etc

4) When they player selects an option, store that data in the script. If they change their choice then update the variable.
    5) attach a DoNotDestroyOnLoad script to the empty game object.
    6) Voila. When you load scene 2 just load a player model based on the attributes from the "PlayerChoices" script.

https://learn.unity.com/tutorial/persistence-saving-and-loading-data

That tutorial is a bit old but it works for persisting data between scenes and between game sessions.

I apologise if this is not what you were looking for but you provided little information.

3. Shobosa

Shobosa

First thanks for your response. I know the editor, just not the code and I might be overestimating how much I can do with this editor. I am going to watch the tutorial and read the doc's you provided and see what I can do. thank you for the help.