Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Equi Angular youtube videos in 2018 player?

Discussion in '2018.1 Beta' started by Fonefen, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Fonefen

Fonefen

Is it possible to play Equi Angular youtube videos from the unity 2018 player?

2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Equi Angular projection isn’t supported outside the box, but you could write your own shaders to do it. However, bridging with YouTube is not doable right now, not legally anyways. You can possibly scrape the YouTube player web app to get actual movie URLs but, apart from the fact this goes most probably against their EULA, you’d also be missing the YouTube features such as dynamic resolution switching, adjustments for target platform and picking URL suitable for the user’s current location.

3. sgower

sgower

Regarding playing Youtube videos, is anyone else having problems? I'm using an asset that retrieves the correct youtube streaming URL, and then uses a Video Player to play the video. In Unity 2018.1b13, this *sometimes* works, but very often the Video player doesn't play the video. As far as I can tell I'm doing everything correctly. When I cut and paste the URL into a browser, the video plays fine. I've tried disabling and re-enabling the Video player. I've tried pausing and then playing the video. Nothing seems to work. I believe 2017 didn't have this problem because everything was working fine for me in 2017 and now it's broken in the lastest 2018 beta. Anyone have any thoughts?

upload_2018-4-17_14-10-7.png