Search Unity

Epic Readies UE3 For iPhone

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by maxfax2009, Dec 23, 2009.

1. maxfax2009

maxfax2009

2. Discord

Discord

Well, Unity iphone isn't free either. And unreal tool is limited to certain ipods which is a shame.

3. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

At the moment, yea, but lets see what they cook up in the future. Exciting! :D

4. RuThaN

RuThaN

Mark Rein, boss of Epic emphasized this new on Gamasutra, so this will important.

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

it might become important.
    The OpenGL ES 2.0 requirement is a kill criterium at least for the time beeing though as it cuts a major part of the market.

What it though clearly is, is a clear "go" sign for professional devs and the iphone platform.

That it won't happen with UDK was clear. Requires source to get it optimized and work with the iPhone SDK.

6. KaelisAsur

KaelisAsur

Am i the only one who thinks this is a bit of an overkill? Having to learn UDK, one of the most advanced/complicated toolkits out there, just to do a game for iPhone? I also have doubts on how much control it will give you in terms of optimization - UDK being so high-level and all.

7. Dreamora

Dreamora

There is and won't be an UDK version of it.

Only Unreal Tech, where you have source access

As such it won't be an overkill, because you already know everything directly related to the unreal technology, you only need some dedicated work force for the iphone related changes.

8. n0mad

n0mad

UDK becoming free was not harmful for Unity.
    Now, I humbly think that UEngine3 coming to handhelds can become much, much more important.

Future will tell.

9. KaelisAsur

KaelisAsur

I see. Still, Unreal Tech (or UE3, rather) uses UDK as IDE, doesnt it?

Thats a huge assumption.

I dont see how, to be honest. The same reason why UDK is not harmful for Unity apply to UE3 for handhelds... right?

10. WinningGuy

WinningGuy

A buddy of mine worked on an iPhone game using the Radiant engine. (A modified Quake engine)

It looked pretty sweet.

11. Dreamora

Dreamora

The UDK is a non source version of the Unreal Technology, not vice versa :)

Not really.
    If you fork out half a million on a technology as you do with Unreal Tech, its a fair assumption that you intend to use it, anything else would be plain stupid, wouldn't it.

There are even more reasons.
    UDK has a given potential to be a harm as it is free.
    But Unreal Tech is a multi hundred thousand tech, I doubt that is even remotely comparable to the <= $3000 of Unity iPhone Advanced

12. n0mad

n0mad

Even if Unity is as good as UDK, Unreal Engine is an old popular thing. Its popularity can appeal a lot of gamers and devs, very quickly. You know, the infamous "Let's have a look at it for a month". Being a long time developer with Unity won't stop people from giving it a try.

So in the end, it's not this time yet, but when UDK will provide the same platforms as Unity, give the same kind of tools and the same performances, *bonus the huge popularity*, I'm not sure that "just being trying UDK" will make the average dev go back to Unity.

Except the price, of course.

Unity will need to be evangelized much faster to face that moment.

13. KaelisAsur

KaelisAsur

Yes, thats what i mean. If you use UE3, you still need to learn UDK, as UDK is the IDE (and scripting) part of UE3.

I was assuming that there would be a separate licensing path for this; something accessible to small teams at least. But i guess this doesnt have to be the case, which, as you mentioned, would mean that you cant compare it with Unity as n0mad implies.

14. WinningGuy

WinningGuy

Unity is certainly not lacking for power when it comes to the iPhone, so I don't see UE3 making an iPhone version being that big a threat to Unity.

Sure, it will be significant competition. But I don't see Unity losing many customers over it.

And by the time UE3 is widely available for iPhone, we'll probably have a significantly improved Unity 3.0 for the XBOX 360. It may not take a huge market share from UE3, but I'm sure it will take some. Especially from Devs who buy the source code and like using the Unity Editor.

And it will probably be a good option for games that are not pushing the limit. For example, Rainbow Six: Vegas and Vegas II used UE2. I'm sure Unity 3.0 will be much preferred over UE2.

15. RuThaN

RuThaN

Only developer newbie, can spoke so UKD is more complicated than Unity, if you want do same things as in UDK, your level of difficulty will more, more bigger.
    You dont have to use all tools in UDK, UDK can be also small simple editor as Unity, dont click on advanced features and use only notepad scripting in C++ via dllbind. Lowlevel scripting hell waits on you, on your failure.

16. ugur

ugur

As a tech geek seeing unreal run on an iDevice was exciting.
    As game developer for the platform it doesn´t interest me really because it only supports the newest devices which excludes the majority of the market; pricing will probably be too high compared to unity and i also don´t see any advantage in using this over using unity unless one is already an established unreal engine developer and wants to port some content over.
    I imagine few companies would go out and develop exclusive content fully maxing out open gl es 2.0 with this seeing how in the iphone market its conntected to lots of marketing push and/or luck to make any really high sales figures that would pay up for that.
    Once the next psp and ds come out (and if they have similar spec hardware) it could become more interesting though by then maybe unity has support for those going, too.

I don´t think either this or flash to iphone deploy would have huge negative impact for unity in the mid term since they are catering to a bit different developer segments, and for flash, in those segments which do overlap, many users already switched over to unity or maybe will use both solutions for different use cases.

What i´m sure about though is that both flash to iphone and unreal on iphone will have a big impact for developers of iPhone content as there will be even much more competition from both the high end and low end sides and types of content.
    I image there will be lots more quick ports of exisiting content as far as possible/ feasable.

17. 4kgrabysky

4kgrabysky

Edited by HiggyB, user banned for posting WoW spam.

18. giyomu

giyomu

... :?:

19. Deleted User

Deleted User

twas after-Christmas spam :)

20. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Yup, that was a spam post indeed. In the future please be sure to alert a moderator (like me, or check the names listed at the top of each forum section) so we can take care of the post(s) and user, thanks!

21. maxfax2009

maxfax2009

thanks HiggyB :)

Crap Spam :(

22. giyomu

giyomu

nice Spam artwork HiggyB :D

23. john1234

john1234

hey guys u can easily download free games by installing installous app fromn cydia...
    thats totally free..

24. Dreamora

Dreamora

just that jailbreaking is illegal by the various eulas you agreed if you ever used itunes or signed as iphone dev