Search Unity

EPIC is giving away $12 Million USD of AAA assets for FREE

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CodeSlug, Mar 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CodeSlug

CodeSlug

This is incredible

Peter77 likes this.
  2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Peter77 and Socrates like this.
  3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Cor this cup of tea is nice. Sometimes you make just the right brew. As for assets I think it's probably great for prototyping but I don't think Jim Sterling will love the flips to come.

4. CodeSlug

CodeSlug

guys why did they shut down Paragon? I really enjoyed the game

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Because fortnite's battle royale made them infinite cash in a short space of time, specially now it's on mobile. Our youth simply cannot get enough of the thrills of hunt or be hunted as it's sorely missing from their experience at various slovenly youth takeaway spots as they devour greasy chicken and generally smell bad while looking good.

AKA cutting your losses and putting resources behind what is majorly profitable. It's normal for a game studio... for what it's worth I think that the whole MOBA thing is being on a bit of a drag at the moment. Pretty clear BR is the fashionable thing and any game that has ambitions will probably include a mode for it.

6. Murgilod

Murgilod

Because you were one of the six people who actually played it.

7. FabDynamic

FabDynamic

Pfft
    This asset pack is way overvalued. I wouldn’t pay more than $6,000,000 for this

;)

flashframe and Kiwasi like this.
  8. CodeSlug

CodeSlug

hmm how could fortnite make so much money when there is already PUBG out? wouldn't that have meant people would just buy PUBG?

I tried PUBG and I have H1Z1 and I dislike those games, really don't get what people see in those games.

But then again I just spent $70 USD for this skin in HoN

9. Ostwind

Ostwind

They are different games with own features and gameplay. It's like saying a Battlefield player could just buy Call of Duty or the other way around.

10. CodeSlug

CodeSlug

Is fortnite good? should I buy it?

Didn't care for H1Z1 KOTK at all so dunno about fortnite

11. Ostwind

Ostwind

Fortnite BR is free.

12. CodeSlug

CodeSlug

wow thats even more amazing

13. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Not really. Seems to be par for the course for Unreal. Every six months or so they announce another set of asset give aways.

Reads to me like they are trying hard to attract novice developers. Unity has been winning that war for a while now. Its got to be hurting Unreal's bottom line.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    Joe-Censored and Martin_H like this.
  14. CodeSlug

CodeSlug

But I thought UE4 was doing extremely great?

Even Dragon Ball Fighter Z uses UE4 same with tekken 7 and the list of titles just goes on and on.

15. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unreal Engine 4 is very successful but that doesn't mean a game made with it will have the same success. Fortnite became successful but Paragon failed to gain enough traction that they decided it was better to abandon the project and give away the assets.

Lu4e and Martin_H like this.
  16. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

They are still doing well in the AAA market. Which is keeping them around and profitable.

But they have pretty much completely lost the hobbyist/amateur/student market. This market isn't profitable, but it is a significant feeder into the more profitable segments of the industry. Losing the feeder market doesn't hurt them now, but it will hurt them in the long run. Giving away these assets costs them nothing, and it might help them in the long run, so its a smart move.

Martin_H likes this.
  17. Not to mention the income from the marketplace. Unity is making a ton of money on the AS because of us, hobbyists. We buy all kind of assets (and giving basically free money to Unity in the process). If Unreal can gain enough hobbyists, they would make considerable amount of money on their marketplace as well. Comparing to that, giving away a bunch of assets, which wouldn't have any use otherwise is a very sane decision.

18. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

The makers of PUBG are currently allowing their game to get destroyed by cheaters, and the player base is getting tired of the excuses. They have even gone so far as to call their own players racists who are calling for China to get region locked, even though they have already admitted 99% of accounts banned for cheating are from China (and the fact Chinese is a nationality, not a race).

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/02/16/99-of-pubgs-banned-cheaters-are-from-china

19. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Anyway back on topic...

- I have no use for any of those models and neither does anyone who isn't a hobbyist because once you get to requiring a single object or texture that isn't that actual AAA quality, you'll be stuck. Because you would have spend an actual fortune to ensure everything else has the same consistency.

IMHO its better for anyone being serious about their games to have some control over their assets (unless it's just for fun) :)

At least all those prototypes will look great!

Ryiah, Lu4e, Kiwasi and 1 other person like this.
  20. konsic

konsic

21. Murgilod

Murgilod

Kiwasi, Ryiah and Ostwind like this.
  22. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yeah gonna lock now.

deliquescator and Ryiah like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.