Search Unity

Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by moonjump, Dec 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antypodish

Antypodish

Funny saying, but I agree with both @LurkingNinjaDev and @Ryiah points.

However, myself I am not interested in console games, hence I am not looking specifically what is provided for this platform. There are too much differences between, in both content and quality.

Is not secret, that games expectations on consoles are typically lower than for PC equivalent.
    Or if you like in other words, desktop gamers tends to be more demanding.

So there is different target audience.

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

A specific, small, loud subset of them do, yes.

3. Antypodish

Antypodish

If you call small subset, who like modding games, high end graphics, or just more complex game play, that is fair enough ;)

4. Murgilod

Murgilod

What you just said has literally nothing to do with what I just said.

5. Antypodish

Antypodish

Then please elaborate. That is why I put "if" at the front of my statement.
    I am not mind reader.

6. Murgilod

Murgilod

A small subset just means that, out of the people who use PC games, a lot of them don't even change the default settings, let alone mod their game or even expect something more complex. Users running things at the default settings became such a problem that we ended up with multiple solutions coming out to fix this problem on PCs in the same year.

Also, the biggest sellers on PC are almost exclusively console ports. With the exception of the first Dragon Age game, complexity parity has pretty much been the standard since the HD console generation kicked off.

On top of that, the vast majority of games have like zero modding support.

7. RichardKain

RichardKain

And now we have another potential Steam-rival stepping up to the plate. Discord, already in the business of selling digital games, has now announced that they will be offering developers a 90/10 profit split, and will be broadening their selection of games to encapsulate a greater number of indie releases.

Discord actually stands a good chance of expanding their store presence. They are already one of the go-to services for gaming chat and messaging communities. As such, they already enjoy a broad user base, a significant advantage for this type of effort. Their existing infrastructure gives them access to game integration features that significantly boost the appeal of shopping from them. Discord-optimized titles will automatically have hooks for voice and text chat, friends lists, and other Discord-specific community features. Definitely a good place to be starting off from.

And once again, the extremely developer-friendly profit split is going to have a lot of developers salivating, and seriously considering Discord as a potential store-front.

8. yoonitee

yoonitee

These guys don't think much of the store so far...

Nor do I at the moment.

But Epic do have a tendency to move fast and improve things very quickly.

9. Hexer_

Hexer_

Unity should carefully consider their next business steps.
    Epic already has huge revenue from Fortnite ($3 billion), let alone their game engine.

I wish Unity would make their own global success game that supports them financially and inspires others to pick up the engine. We'll see what happens, but I'm afraid unless Unity does something huge Epic will leave them behind in a few years, simply for the fact they make more money and can invest it in their offer and make it better.

10. Murgilod

Murgilod

Unity is literally the most used game engine on the planet.

Kiwasi likes this.
  11. Antypodish

Antypodish

And so? For fraction of such revenue, epic store should be really epic and attractive by now, not ... meh as is at its current state.

12. yoonitee

yoonitee

I think Unity should just stick to what it's doing and not chase after pots of gold at the ends of rainbows. Stick to within it's means. Make a nice game engine that's profitable. Maybe even go totally free and run entirely on donations.

13. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

This thread is chewing over the same cyclic points, should I lock it or ...? up to you guys. At least inject something fresh ;)

Socrates likes this.
  14. Antypodish

Antypodish

If you feel for it, you can lock it. I don't mind. Yet I don't want speak for others ...
    However, topic feels a bit stagnate, but we wait for big Epic move, to inject something fresh, so we can change our minds and start worship it. We may even move then to UE :p

15. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

OK... but really the point I made was, if there's nothing really to be said, it's best not to go over the same ground.

Socrates and Antypodish like this.
  16. Player7

Player7

yeah a kitten probably dies when you lock a thread hippo, don't you feel bad man :D

...in other news I discovered this hidden board: https://forum.unity.com/forums/wish-list.13/

I think it should reopened so that Unity 2020+ can be better, I know there is a roadmap and feedback portal but I rarely bother with those.

17. Hexer_

Hexer_

Of course but Epic is still more profitable as a company.

LOL, sorry if my opinion on Unity vs. Epic business model upset you.
    Let's not stick our heads into the sand and hope the problem will go away on its own.
    I posted here because I want Unity to succeed and others to talk about these big changes.

18. Antypodish

Antypodish

With that attitude, I would stick to Microsoft XBox.
    In the end, M$ is most profitable of all. So surely any dev will get decent chunk of pie of it. If that matters at all.

Hey, or maybe stick to Java. Minecraft was evaluated, while ago over 2bln$. That beats by far Epic with its puny games.

But in fact, no matter what tools having in hand, if unable to wield it.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  19. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Not upset, I often ask. But clearly it's time to lock it after all. Have fun :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.