Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Environment probe issues

Discussion in 'AR' started by eco_bach, May 20, 2019.

1. eco_bach

eco_bach

2 issues I am having.
    The first is the sudden jumping of the maps instead of a smooth transition.
    Another user mentioned it here as well
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/arkit-glitch-with-environment-probe-texture.580537/

The 2nd seems to be that certain environments tend to ‘fool’ the probes or are more challenging to resolve.
    For instance testing recently in an indoor atrium with sunlight coming in from overhead but no blue sky visible I can clearly see blue sky being reflected in my reflective material.
    Are some environments better than others for environment probes?
    How are they created and updated?
    Does the orientation of your mobile device matter when the application launches and the probes are first created?

Can they be manually placed and if so, what would be the advantages over letting Arkit do it automatically? <bump>

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  2. enhawk

enhawk

You can manually place them, I’m doing this by having them spawn by raycasting a hit to a plane, as provided in the arkit samples. As for spawning them by a vector3, looked a bit complex so skipped for now. Actually would be great to know how this is done, any clues @jimmya ?

AR Render probes don’t support blending so they will change image abruptly.

The update frequency seems to be a system thing, not sure how to edit this.

Orientation has no effect.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  3. eco_bach

eco_bach

Thanks. The official Apple ARkit documentation confirms manually placing is possible and also that softening transitions should be done automatically by SceneKit. Need an easy way to accomplish both with ARFoundation.

With ARSCNView, if the environment probe texture(s) affecting an object change (either because the object moves or because a new texture becomes available for its current position), SceneKit automatically uses a short fade-in animation to transition to the new result.

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/arkit/adding_realistic_reflections_to_an_ar_experience

Created a quick demo but until Unity refines the Environment Probe feature to allow disabling of runtime auto placement its unusable IMHO.

Last edited: May 26, 2019