Search Unity

1. Unity 2020.1 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Environment Gator

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Karlbovsky, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

Well, I guess you're right... I was waiting for any Information but didn't ask.. I'm using 2017.2 (and 2017.1 at that time) and unity simply crashed with environment gator. The project folder is about 120gb and I have no idea why it crashes, it seems to have a conflict with something in my project folder, a clean install works so I was hoping for someone else to have this problem so he could report it.

General feedback: there were shadow issues if the cloud object had shadows enabled (in 5.x, not 6), because of the scale of the object. Maybe it would be beneficial to have a shader-driven camera background instead.

2. Karlbovsky

Karlbovsky

@Carpe-Denius Hi, did u get some info from the crash report? I´m testing version 6 in Unity2017.1.0 in several projects with no issues/crashes.

You´re right, I´m trying to find better solutions for the rendering-part in general.

3. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

You won't believe it, but I tried it today to see if I now get some error messages (unlike the last time, where I had to wait two days to fully roll back a backup project) and it worked now...

Edit for first feedback: I haven't found everything yet, but it seems to look better now. with 5.x I thought it looked professional, though a bit outdated (maybe the textures?), but still good. Now it looks up to date.

Some things:
    - the moon shouldn't get transparent depending on the moon phase, just dark
    - follow camera doesn't seem to work / is not intended for the sky dome?
    - fog (in the lighting panel) can't be disabled
    - the sun sets in the south? Is it possible to rotate it?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  4. Karlbovsky

Karlbovsky

@Carpe-Denius Hi, thanks for the feedback..

• The moon can be set to use different shaders ( even opaque ) but yeah, I've noticed some weird behavior with transparency, anyway I'm already looking for a better solution that should be easier to setup with a better look.
    • Sorry, what are you referring to with "follow camera doesn't seem to work / is not intended for the sky dome?"
    • Actually you shouldn't be able to enable the Fog in the lighting panel, since it is set to off at Start by the EG.
    • Yes, you can rotate the Space game-object doing the following steps :
    • Select the Space game-object in Hierarchy.
    Screenshot (13).png
    • In the Inspector, click the EG Space label to show the properties.
    Screenshot (14).png
    • Change the Start Rotation Y parameter.
    Screenshot (15).png

5. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

With target color set to white the moon becomes visible

One can set the camera to ttf (target to follow?), but the skydome doesn't move. I can walk out of the skydome.

It was driven by EG, but the enabled bool was forced by the postprocessing stack

Great, worked. Thank you.

6. Karlbovsky

Karlbovsky

You' re right , i´m gonna check a couple of things then I let you know...even if a better overall solution is on the way ;)

Ok, now i got it, yes the TTF thing is for the Elements-Gator particle systems only.

7. Karlbovsky

Karlbovsky

Hi to all,

just a quick update about the future of the EG and also about the new audio engine.

I've started working on the future EG updates, the first will be a minor update and it will include :

EG - next Minor Update ( 6.0.3.2 )

- Improvements : Small refinements to all Modules [started]
    - Improvements : Performances improvement. [started]
    - Improvements : Small retouches to the included particle-systems. [done]
    - New Feat : Wind Direction in editor and set for each Weather Condition. [done]
    - New Audio Engine integration : Audio Gator 1.0.3.0 [started]

The second one will be a bit bigger and it will include :

EG - next Major Update ( 6.1.3.0 )

- Post Processing Rack integration. [started]
    - Weather System ( features and visuals ) [todo]
    - Clouds System ( features, setup and visuals ) [todo]
    - Modules Refactoring ( code and Editors ) [started]
    - Performance improvements. [started]

There's no ETA for the updates but i think i can give you some dates as soon as I finish working at the new audio-engine.

Audio Gator
    The new Audio Gator is almost ready, currently working on the Documentation and small
    refinements. It contains many improvements and lots of new features.
    The entire system has been rewritten and now it can be integrated in any project as a stand-alone component
    with lots of production-friendly features that help with the integration.

To list just few new features:

- Integrates with any type of Weather System through the API.
    - Integrates with any type of Day-Night cycle system through the API.
    - It can be used as an audio-resources manager.
    - New Audio-Zone of type Music that will manage background music and events-driven audio, according to the current active scene or ingame-events.
    - New Editor and setup system.

and lot more...

Have a look at the new documentation to get more info ( it's a work in progress doc but it is almost completed ).

The new Audio Gator will be available as a separate package on the Asset Store but the exact same version will be included inside the Environment-Gator package as well.

That's all for this update.
    As always for any question and/or suggestion feel free to contact me !

Best Regards,

StevenP94 likes this.
  8. Karlbovsky

Karlbovsky

Hi there, a quick sum up of the next updates status.

The 6.0.3.2 is almost done and I hope to be able to publish it during the next week. It has become a little bit "larger" than I thought and I'm now smoothing the edges and updating the documentation.

This is an extract of the dev log :

Features
    Audio : Added the Audio Gator component version 1.0.3.0 ( Brand new version. Includes lots of new features and improvements ).
    Weather : Added wind direction option. It is now selectable in editor, according to weather conditions.
    EG System : Added new extensions module. Will handle packages/assets that can be integrated with the EG.

Improvements
    Clouds : New Shaders ( 2D and Cube Map HDR ). Procedurally generated alpha transitions based on texture input alpha with edge smoothing.
    Clouds : New Textures. Better looking textures and smaller in sizes. Textures created to better blend with the new shaders and the EG Global Fog FX.
    Clouds : Color Mode. Added the Follow Horizon option.
    Weather System : Overall improvements. Precipitation intensities and variability can now be selected for each weather condition.
    Particle Systems : Minor improvements ( Visual & Code ). Started preparation for new features.
    Particle Systems : Thunder ( Visual ). Added light emission feature.
    EGEngine : Started overall performance improvements.
    Post Processing Stack : Preparing the system to integrate and control the Post Processing Stack.
    Editor : Celestial Bodies Module. Added Space Start Rotation option ( the value will be stored into presets ).
    Editors : Added more in-editor helpers and suggestions + overall enhancements.
    Presets : Default Presets reworked to take advantage of the new features. New Presets added.
    API : Enhancements to the system. More features are available through the API.

Changes
    Clouds : Usage of GSphere Top layer discontinued. Now the 3rd GSphere is a full-spherical mesh that uses an additional CubeMap ( HDR ) texture. Its scale and y.position are editable.
    Sun-Moon : Shader changed to Alpha Blended. Alpha controlled by ToD and Weather conditions.
    Fog : Faster transition time ( for FogHeight and FogDensity values ).
    Fog : Global Fog Advanced values are now editable in editor and stored into Presets.
    Legacy Image Effects : Support for Image effects scripts has been discontinued. Sun shafts and Global Fog still available. They are internally maintained till Post Processing Stack further developments.
    Events System : The SetCurrentPrecipitation event now uses the EGEnumeration static class to select the precipitation type.

Fixes
    Editor : Weather Module. Clouds color is now applied correctly in Editor mode.
    Editor : Fixed display dialog error when a preset user folder was not found and the cancel creation button was clicked.
    Particles Systems : Time and Weather checks now works for all the GElements of type FX.
    Sun : Fixed Sun-Scale behaviour according to current skybox mode.
    Moon : Moon-Phases fixed wrong phase selection during week #4.
    Starfield : Corrected visibility when a scene starts in Overcast / Storm mode.

Well, even if this update will be a "preparation" for the next major update ( 6.1 ), contains a lot of improvements and new features.

I'll be back as soon as I'm ready to publish it.
    Have a nice weekend and happy coding!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    treshold likes this.
  9. treshold

treshold

Sounds great! Keep up the good work!

StevenP94 likes this.
  10. StevenP94

StevenP94

Great work!

11. Karlbovsky

Karlbovsky

Hi to all,
    the update is ready but not submitted yet.
    I've also added a very first implementation of the PostProcessingStack dynamic controls feature ( Color Grading effect only ). Temperature, Saturation and Contrast values are now stored into presets using Animation Curves and will animate according to ToD.

Just a question. How "bad" will be if I submit the next updates using only Unity2017.*. versions ? I'm aware that it's not the most used version atm, but it looks like it is growing fast and it will become soon...

treshold likes this.
  12. treshold

treshold

I'm usually migrating very slowly to newer versions but this has been exception :D I'm totally fine with only Unity2017 updates :)

13. StevenP94

StevenP94

I'm on 5.6 yet, but planning the upgrade...

14. Karlbovsky

Karlbovsky

Yep, not 100% sure yet, but I think I'll go with a 2017.1 version upload. Today I've started the Draft for the package submission and finished updating the documentation. Now, it seems that lately package's submissions reviews are super slow ( I've submitted the Audio Gator package almost 2 weeks ago and still nothing ) and since I´m going for a short 4 days holidays this Friday, I might decide to submit the update, early next week. I'm kind of excited for this small but huge update!

15. Karlbovsky

Karlbovsky

Hi, the new update ( 6.0.3.2 ) has been submitted for review. At the end, I decided to upload it with Unity 2017.1. version only :eek:!
    I'll be back as soon as the package will be published ( fingers crossed )...

Purple.jpg
    sneak peek of the new update
    P.S.
    The Audio Gator stand-alone package has been released on the Asset Store! ( FYI It's the same package included with the upcoming update of the EG. Spread the word. ;))

Cheers,

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    treshold likes this.
  16. treshold

treshold

does this mean that we don't need legacy image effects after next update?

17. Karlbovsky

Karlbovsky

Correct, I'll maintain the sun-shafts and global Fog legacy image effects internally till further developments of the post processing stack.

treshold likes this.
  18. treshold

treshold

Quick question, I can't find a spot where I can adjust EG -system rotation so it would be East -West on my map. I browsed documentation and clicked through EG modules. I think there was value that could be adjusted in earlier versions :)

19. Karlbovsky

Karlbovsky

@treshold Hi, yep sure, it's under the Celestial Bodies module now ( in 6.0.3.2 ). It's called Space Start Rotation.

CBModule.png

If you are using an older version, select the Space game-object and open its inspector.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    treshold likes this.
  20. Karlbovsky

Karlbovsky

I´m going to remove the Environment Gator from the asset store since I am working on a brand new asset that will replace it. For customers that have already purchased the package will still be able to download it.

Best Regards,

21. treshold

treshold

Is there any upgrade-path for the owners of the gator? :D

22. Karlbovsky

Karlbovsky

I don´t know yet, but most probably not, since this is gonna be a completely new project.
    The idea is to have a modular system with a free 'core' asset that has basic features ( like a complete Time-manager, Day-Night cycle, a simple game-framework) that can be expanded buying additional modules when needed ( i.e. Audio-Module, Clouds-Module, Camera-Module, etc...).

Anyway, it's too early to define how the project will be shaped.

23. StevenP94

StevenP94

Good luck for your new project, please keep us informed!

24. Karlbovsky

Karlbovsky

!! IMPORTANT !!
    This version of the Environment Gator (v6.0) and the Audio Gator(v1.0) asset are going to be release for FREE soon !!
    Not sure if using the Asset Store or if I'll put them as a direct download on my website.​

@StevenP94 Thank you!!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  25. Hexer_

Hexer_

Any news? I loved this asset :)

unityunity