Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Env. lighting source forced to Skybox (2018.1.0f2 HD RP template preview)

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by allenwp, May 8, 2018.

1. allenwp

allenwp

Hi there,

I'm trying out the new 2018.1.0f2 HD RP template preview and am struggling with a setting that keeps getting reverted every time I run a scene:

When I change the Environment Lighting Source to "Color" in the Lighting window and press "Play" on any scene the Lighting Source gets changed to "Skybox". This even happens in a new empty scene that has all the default game objects deleted.

This doesn't happen if I make a new project using the 3D template instead.

Anyone know what project setting might be causing this to happen? Either way, this behaviour ends up coming across as a bug, tbh.

Thanks!
    Allen

2. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

HDRP doesn't use the lighting tab for anything except baking lightmaps/GI

You control everything else with the Scene Settings or in the Template Sample scene it's on a game object called Volume Settings

upload_2018-5-8_18-5-53.png

allenwp likes this.
  3. nyxassasin

nyxassasin

Its the HDRP asset.... When this is placed in Graphics->SRP Asset slot it always sets lighting to skybox on play...
    Need a solution plz

allenwp likes this.
  4. allenwp

allenwp

Yep, that was it! When the HDRenderPipelineAsset.asset is assigned as the Scriptable Render Pipeline Settings under the Graphics Settings, the problem that I described happens. When removed, it no longer happens.

Also, @Grimreaper358 thanks for the explanation! I am very new to this and hadn't quite understood that the environment lighting settings were controlled by the RP script/profile, but this makes sense in retrospect.

That said, even after understanding this, I find it a bit confusing and unintuitive that the lighting window controls *some* of the environment lighting settings (when you change these, you see it change in the game view). I'm sure this will make more and more sense as I dig into it, but it's not the greatest UX when starting out with this template...

5. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

Yea, it's still preview/experimental so it's not properly integrated into the engine yet so as time goes on things will make more sense/easier to manage and the UI will be more flushed out. If you look at the Lightweight pipeline it's already well integrated into the UI and doesn't seem like an addon, HDRP will be like that at some point