Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

EntityReference '==' operator not working as expected

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by Berzee, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Berzee

Berzee

This might just be me making silly Typescript mistakes, but here's my problem.

I created a component with four EntityReference fields.
    upload_2018-12-11_9-6-5.png

I then added this component and a Sprite2DSequencePlayer to the same entity and assigned some sprite sequences.
    upload_2018-12-11_9-15-55.png

As you can see, SequencePlayer defaults to using the "Anim_D" sequence referred to by Animations.D. However, the following System script does not find them to be equal even after setting the sequence again directly.
    Code (JavaScript):
    1. OnUpdate():void {
    2.             this.world.forEach([game.Movement, ut.Core2D.Sprite2DSequencePlayer, game.Animations],
    3.                 (movement, sequencePlayer, animations) => {
    5.                     console.log(this.world.getEntityName(sequencePlayer.sequence));
    6.                     console.log("sequencePlayer.sequence == animations.D? " + (sequencePlayer.sequence == animations.D));
    7.                     sequencePlayer.sequence = animations.D;
    8.                     console.log("How about now? " + (sequencePlayer.sequence == animations.D));
    The output of this code is:

Anim_D
    sequencePlayer.sequence == animations.D? false
    How about now? false

Any idea why these "==" checks are returning false? Is there a different way to test if two EntityReferences are equal, or pointing to the same entity? I've been able to get around it for now by comparing the results of this.world.getEntityName() for each, but that's obviously not ideal.

Thanks pals. =)

Attached Files:

2. etienne_unity

etienne_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Berzee

EntityReference fields are represented as
    ut.Entity
    objects in TypeScript. The equality operator on JavaScript objects will only return true if the two operands share the same memory address, which is not the case in your example. See this page for more info.

To compare two
    ut.Entity
    instances, you can do this:

Code (JavaScript):
    1. static Equals(a: ut.Entity, b: ut.Entity) : boolean {
    2.   return (a.index == b.index && a.version == b.version);
    3. }

3. Berzee

Berzee

Ahh, I thought it would be something like that. Your suggested equals function works fine, as does just comparing the index values in my case. Thanks!

I am idly curious why this line in my code above:
    sequencePlayer.sequence = animations.D;

doesn't actually set the variables to the same memory address, when something similar in Javascript gives a different result (https://jsfiddle.net/Berzee/89udgket/) ... but I'm quite satisfied with the index solution. =)

4. v_vuk

v_vuk

Unity Technologies

Comparing just the index values isn't safe -- the indices are reused as entities are created and destroyed, and the version distinguishes that. But.. it does highlight that we didn't actually expose an equals method on Entity in TypeScript. Oops. Will fix.