Search Unity

Feedback EntityCache folder

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by georgeq, Aug 23, 2019.

1. georgeq

georgeq

It is not a major problem, however the fact that DOTS is creating this folder insider the Assets folder makes the project's structure feel a little bit messy and kind of out the designer's control. I think this folder does not belong there and should be hosted somewhere else.

2. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

The problem is the existence of the files. They are a cache only and they do not belong in version control.
    It belongs in the asset pipeline like any other unity asset. This required a bunch of features regarding dependency declaration in the asset pipeline that are only supported in asset pipeline V2. This is shipping in 19.3 at which point we will switch to that and then those files will be pulled down from cache server or automatically rebuild.

What we have now is a temporary poor mans solution. But hey it got the job done...

3. georgeq

georgeq

I understand... and actually this is not really a problem, is more a "Housekeeping" kind of issue, it doesn't affect your workflow nor interferes with your productivity... but it makes your Assets folder "feel" dirty, very much like a stain in the wall, no one is going to die because of that, many won't care or even notice it. But to the eyes of few obsessive people like me, it won't "feel" 100% right... And maybe you don't even need to move the folder to another location, just mark it as "hidden"... like I said, this is more a matter of feeling not a technical issue.