Search Unity

Resolved Entities Renderer and Sprite Rendering

Discussion in 'DOTS Dev Blitz Day 2022 - Q&A' started by Kmsxkuse, Dec 7, 2022.

1. Kmsxkuse

Kmsxkuse

Are there any plans to integrate sprite rendering with the existing entities renderer within the near-ish future? Say within a year or so.

Should I instead be drawing up plans to implement my own (or use one of the repos someone else made)?

ThatDan123 likes this.
  2. JussiKnuuttila

JussiKnuuttila

Unity Technologies

Sprite Rendering is currently not supported by Entities Graphics, and is not currently on the roadmap.

I recommend leaving feedback about this on the public DOTS roadmap here: https://unity.com/roadmap/unity-platform/dots. Feedback left there has the best chance of being taken into account in the official DOTS planning.

3. mangorock

mangorock

The lack of anything 2D is concerning for the future of ECS in Unity. Not focusing on physics and more advanced animation yet is understandable. You want basics first. It's more-so an issue, very worrying, that you haven't given us basics for 2D at all.

I left feedback on the page you listed, hopefully others express concern. It's been mentioned quite a few times already in these threads, but also elsewhere. Whether they remember to express this in your official feedback outlet or not - I'd like to reiterate: at the very least devs deserve some kind of 2D foundation. Sorting and sorting groups for 2D in Entities.Graphics would be an appropriate start. This is something that shouldn't be prolonged to 2024-2025 and beyond. 2022-2023 is more than reasonable, considering 2D's current state of nothing. Other features can be reworked and implemented via the 3D options.

Unity integrated sorting order and groups in the engine some years ago, we need versions compatible in Entities.Graphics. On our side, this can be implemented with custom DrawMeshIndirect sorting. However, last time I checked, it was rather hacky getting structured buffers working in Shader Graph to begin with. This is something that Entities.Graphics should be handling out of the gate, out of the box, rather than built on top of it. It's the best path forward, considering it enables accessibility to utilize property overrides.

The devs who trusted in Project Tiny seem to be left with nothing today. No info, no plans. No reason to trust the engine. The introduction of minimum basics would signal that their faith isn't misplaced using ECS in Unity for 2D.

4. mrbinggrae

mrbinggrae

When will Unity DOTS support Sprite Renderer? I also need 2D Animation for DOTS. Will a Sprite Renderer for DOTS be available by 2037? Maybe Unity doesn't have Sprites for DOTS in mind. :(:(:(

5. Lo-renzo

Lo-renzo

https://github.com/Antoshidza/NSprites

Not the same but this might be the closest thing to what you're looking for?

mrbinggrae likes this.
  6. mrbinggrae

mrbinggrae