Search Unity

Entities Package Source and Change-Log? (aka: How to *work* with Packages?)

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by The5, May 19, 2018.

1. The5

The5

Since the ECS is implemented in C# itself, I figured the source should be available somewhere.
    Eventually I noticed that the packages are stored somewhere in AppData and the .cs files for the ECS are there.

But how does this Package system work for such C# packages generally?
    • Is there a repository where we can inspect the source?
    • Is there a commit history we can see changes?
    • Is there a change-log released for new packages so we can see what functionality might break/change?
    I do not quite grasp how to work with these packages yet.
    For example, updating to 0.0.12-preview.2 which now gives me a "System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException".
    I would like to be able to figure out what changed and what I got to resolve in order to fix this.
    The "View Changes" link in the Packages manager redirects you to a unavailable page:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.entities@0.0-preview.2/changelog/CHANGELOG.html

Also there is a ton of dead links to ECS source files scattered trough the documentation repository. So at some point ECS actually was a public repository it seems.

Is there something I am overlooking when working with the Entities package (or any other C# package)? Or is this possibly due to ECS being in preview and the changelog and source will be available eventually?

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    S_Darkwell likes this.
  2. S_Darkwell

S_Darkwell

I am getting the same error as @The5 mentioned using Unity v2018.2.0b4 and the package Entities v0.0.12-preview.2.

I do not have this error using the package Entities v0.0.12-preview.1.

- S.

3. Singtaa

Singtaa

Same here. I'm also getting System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException on 0.0.12 preview 2.

And OP is right. It's a bit hard to diagnose problems like this on our own when there's no repo to look at.

4. avvie

avvie

I posted on a related thread. But yeah, as far as i understand when you have a GameObjectComponent you get:

Code (CSharp):
    1. ReflectionTypeLoadException: Exception of type 'System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException' was thrown.
    2. System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () (at <e1a80661d61443feb3dbdaac88eeb776>:0)
    3. Unity.Entities.DefaultWorldInitialization.Initialize (System.String worldName, System.Boolean editorWorld) (at C:/Users/avvie/AppData/Local/Unity/cache/packages/staging-packages.unity.com/com.unity.entities@0.0.12-preview.2/Unity.Entities.Hybrid/Injection/DefaultWorldInitialization.cs:69)
    4. Unity.Entities.AutomaticWorldBootstrap.Initialize () (at C:/Users/avvie/AppData/Local/Unity/cache/packages/staging-packages.unity.com/com.unity.entities@0.0.12-preview.2/Unity.Entities.Hybrid/Injection/AutomaticWorldBootstrap.cs:11)