Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Entire Quixel MEGASCAN Now Free for Unreal Engine, Can we get this Please Unity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LIVENDA_LABS, Nov 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murgilod

Murgilod

https://unity.com/solutions/film-animation-cinematics

They have an entire initiative where this is the entire focus.

Ryiah and MadeFromPolygons like this.
  2. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

It's great to have future ambitions, btw Murgilod, just curious, what is your knowledge with UE and what type of projects are you working on with Unity, cheers.

Hexer_ likes this.
  3. iamthwee

iamthwee

Encouragement is always important.

LIVENDA_LABS likes this.
  4. Murgilod

Murgilod

It's not really a "future ambition" because this is actively being used. Unlike your CTAA solution that you never actually delivered it to a bunch of your customers.

5. sxa

sxa

Do you have anything website-wise you could point me to on a UE4->Arnold workflow? We give our students access to Unity but If there's an Unreal->Arnold route, we'd be interested in knowing what that was.

(FWIW, to be pedantic its not really Maya Arnold, its just Arnold. Arnold can render for Maya, 3DMax, Houdini, Katana etc. My observation is that a Maya->Arnold render happens by literally converting the maya scenefile into an arnold .ass file on the fly. )

Martin_H likes this.
  6. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

By who?

7. superjayman

superjayman

Unity is soo fragmented it's A Nightmare To Use!!. This was not an issue in earlier versions but now there is no clear workflow left, and it's confusing as hell! DOTS, ECS what a joke too little too late Unity..Where is clear documentation? Unity ==> Game Over..

8. Murgilod

Murgilod

Do none of y'all ever actually like... do any amount of research into the things you say and ask?

Unity has been at this for a few years now and have been actively courting studios globally for that whole time. Hell, a big complaint not too long ago was that Unity was focusing too much on film and TV.

9. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

I think this video was made in UE4 :) How about Cryengine? what are your thoughts

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  10. Murgilod

Murgilod

11. superjayman

superjayman

Unity Can We Please Get The Entire Quixel Megascan For Free? What is Unity Offering?

12. Billy4184

Billy4184

Ask not what Unity can do for you, but what you can do for Unity.

It sounds like it will need all the help it can get, judging by this prophecy ...

Ruberta and Martin_H like this.
  13. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I for one am looking forward to seeing a ton of terrible looking games that occasionally have a few super realistic high quality assets and materials thrown in.

BIGTIMEMASTER likes this.
  14. iamthwee

iamthwee

15. Martin_H

Martin_H

Maybe a kitchen sink game that doesn't do any one thing really well either?

For real though, I have no idea if it would help them or not, but I feel like clearly some things must be handled poorly internally (@neoshaman gave some good examples) and and I'm willing to bet that many from Unity staff would agree, because in every big company it's like that.

You're spot on, and I boycotted steam many years longer than most, during its rise to power. But I'd still rather let valve have that monopoly than e.g. EA, Zenimax, Actiblizz, Tencent, Apple, Microsoft, ... pretty much every one I can think of. I think we got damn lucky with Valve being the ones to irresponsibly wield this amount of power compared to who could have ended up having it. Though it's definitely good to see them get some actual competition from epic!

BIGTIMEMASTER and AcidArrow like this.
  16. Lex4art

Lex4art

It's hard or simply impossible to do anything modern/cool stuff in Unity because it's still mobile-oriented engine with ancient 4GB limit for assets per scene file. Current solutions are "by programmers for programmers" - asset bundles/addressables are not for artist people, really. Hope that will change with 2020.x releases as mentioned, but with current state you will stuck with 32-bit 4GB limit using Quixel assets very quickly.

17. Murgilod

Murgilod

There are multiple ways to address this that were all covered in this thread here.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-please-read-this.766637/

Even consoles have issue with that limit, it's not just "because mobile." It's not "hard or impossible" to do any of this, you just have to put a bit of effort into your project structure, which you should be doing anyway.

Ryiah likes this.
  18. neoshaman

neoshaman

- Why talk about epic store and steam when there is GOG the bae
    - Stop dissing Blender, Nvdia, AMD, Google, Ubisoft and Epic has shift to it, and it has an increasing presence in cinema. https://fund.blender.org/
    - Unity is simply a jack of all trade (master of none) it's a mediocre engine, and it turns out that is his strength, because you can get far enough to either design around it, and take off and do your own from where it lack. It has frustrating limitation but they aren't damning, their existence are damning though ...

Also I stick to unity because i'm lazy, and I know it's limitation enough to live with it. It's like old blitz3D, though I prefer the later because it has its limitation on sleeves and don't make empty promise, too bad it died.

Ruberta and Ryiah like this.
  19. Martin_H

Martin_H

I think "have dipped their toe in the water of using it" is far more accurate than "have shifted to". And I'm saying that as one of the most longterm blender users on this forum. I remember the days where it didn't have an undo function, wasn't open source and if you wanted a manual, you had to buy a book.

But I do agree it's the future and they all should pump waaaay more cash into it. Unity too! It's sad they aren't funding it yet, considering how much Blender does for "democratizing gamedev" and allowing people to fill Unity's assetstore with content.

Ryiah likes this.
  20. Ryiah

Ryiah

21. Murgilod

Murgilod

neoshaman and Martin_H like this.
  22. Ruberta

Ruberta

I'm back and I have a plan. We must save the Unity!
    I'll make a big ambitious game and giving Unity the new slogan.
    "Make Your Dream, Made With Unity" sounds good, right? :D
    Then release it everywhere without exclusive deal. (Steam, GOG, Microsoft Store, etc.)

There is something that still concerned me. I check most recent game released on steam that made with Unity.
    DORAEMON STORY OF SEASONS
    Disco Elysium
    My Friend Pedro
    I try to pick games from either professional video game company and indie game developer.
    These issues might from from developer or Unity engine itself. Can someone make this clear for me, please?
    1. No Sound
    This is the most common issue happens to most Unity game on steam. It mostly come from audio enhance software such as ASUS Sonic Studio. Does Unity fix this yet? Do other engine have this issue? What can we do to avoid this?
    2.Resolution and video refresh rate
    Some users report problem about 4k resolution and they want to run it smooth on 144 hz monitor. Is this possible yet?
    See this post => Over 144fps on my 144hz monitor but it feels like 24fps
    3.Crash
    This issue might be from the game developer. But how can we sure about that? Sometime when the game try to load something, the game turn to not responding state. This give a bad feeling for player.
    4.A lot of GPU usage
    Not sure why player focus on this. See this link => Disco Elysium (20 October 2019)
    When someone answer with a simple word "Unity" the answer is clear to player. It's sad that player think it was Unity fault. What do you think about this issue? Can someone compare to other engine?

23. Murgilod

Murgilod

...why do you think Unity, the most popular game engine on earth, needs saving?

Jingle-Fett likes this.
  24. Martin_H

Martin_H

Good luck trying to make the players understand such things. They don't even properly understand framerate vs frame time and neither do most of the youtubers and journalists reporting on games.

If I was making games I'd try to educate the userbase at least a tiny bit by making them understand some of the simpler concepts like framerates and entitling them to a feeling of smug superiority, but it's naive to think it's easy or even possible to undo years of entrenched negative sentiments in this area.

They declined a zachtronics game at first!

25. Ruberta

Ruberta

Because of bad reputation that happens to Unity and the fear of prophecy become true. People decide the engine from the product that come out of it. Not the engine itself. While there are ton of games made with Unity, there is not much that truly shine. Now developer or even player salute unreal engine everywhere. The prophecy is nearly come. Unity team work hard to implement the engine for sure (I hope so) but they need the developer to make it shine. (Also the engine need to be very stable but the issue from the past can be seen. Hmm... I think this need someone to confirm about four issues that I listed on previous post.)

Chititita likes this.
  26. neoshaman

neoshaman

Everytime someone said "unity is doomed" its market share increase :( they don't really need to make too much effort by now.

27. Martin_H

Martin_H

Go to the forum of Insurgency:Sandstorm and check how much people are liking those UE4 games. My impression is that all the the good will towards that engine has mostly been eroded by the reality of indie games released with that engine. I've even seen one person say "Why didn't they use a good engine, like Unity?". And the Kingdom Come: Deliverance forum has tons of bitching and moaning about cryengine too, even though cryengine pretty consistently is the only engine that delivers games that visually still "wow" me. I'm amazed KCD delivers the visuals and scope it has at all, and I'm not mad about lack of stable 60fps on my mid tier system.

28. Murgilod

Murgilod

People say this like... every six months and I have yet to see anything but anecdotal reasons for it, like some rando on Steam saying "Unity? no buy!!"

Like, are you legit trying to say that Disco Elysium, one of the top rated indie games this year, a game that has an absolutely gorgeous visual style, a game that completely eschews common crpg mechanics in favour of making dialogue the primary way you engage with the world, does not shine?

Are you saying that Hollow Knight, a game that came out two years ago that people are still talking about does not shine?

That Ori and the Blind Forest does not shine?

That Cuphead does not shine?

There is no prophecy, just you spouting nonsense because you're looking at people who focus entirely on graphical fidelity over all else. There are loads of great Unity games, many of them incredibly popular, across just a huge variety of genres. You are, much like others before you, making up a "sky is falling" prediction while not actually stopping to consider all the games made with Unity that are just absolutely big deal games.

pk_Holzbaum and Ryiah like this.
  29. Zarconis

Zarconis

Waves and droves, I've been using UE since after the Unity 5.X debacle (going to use Unity for a shmup). Stay on the beaten track of TP / FPS / Top down / Shmup mid sized games and you're essentially laughing. Tools, logic, implementation etc. is night and day plus it generally works as you'd expect it to (unlike Unity), get creative though and you might as well kiss your project goodbye or you'll end up releasing a sub par POS.

Also if it's not inline with their own games bugs generally don't get fixed, for all this talk of devs being open source wizards they couldn't even fix basic shadow issues in UE (which remained for years). Unity maybe "demo" like in areas but even though the initial haul takes several time the amount of effort you're not going to be landed in a pit of complexity further down the line.

Sure, I wouldn't try and take on some of the more complex games in Unity because after all it's made for indie ventures but the term "indie" is very broad and some can be very impressive nevertheless.

iamthwee likes this.
  30. neoshaman

neoshaman

What about the leadwerk engine :p?

Lex4art likes this.
  31. Martin_H

Martin_H

Good to see you back, have you worked on something gamedev related recently?

Zarconis and iamthwee like this.
  32. Ruberta

Ruberta

Those games are shine too. OK, you're right. We don't need to save Unity. Anyway, Unity need to be fixed. Some problems can be found even in those shinny games. I don't believe it's only developer fault.

33. Ryiah

Ryiah

Since I can trust you to know the capabilities of UE4 (unlike the vast majority of pro-UE4 posters in this and other threads that just spit out the same nonsense with nothing to back them up), what's the closest equivalent to Unity DOTS? If there isn't a close equivalent how hard would it be to get UE4 to handle scenes like the ones Unity has showcased?

Edit: Just in case it's not obvious I'm primarily referring to scenes like MegaCity.

https://unity.com/megacity

Because everyone in this thread praising UE4 is pointing towards functionality (eg visual scripting, behaviour trees, etc) that while very useful is ultimately not that difficult to build on top of just about every engine out there including some of the badly made ones. I don't care about any of that. I care about getting high performance with high entity counts.

34. Frienbert

Frienbert

you don't care but for a company that builds an engine on democratizing game development, I would expect them to have all the tools that help create games for people not skilled enough to add them. This is even a quote from Quxels article about joining forces with epic "First of all, I’m proud to say that we are joining forces with Epic Games, for what is the next step in democratizing transformative technology and content."

35. Ryiah

Ryiah

And we're slowly getting them. Unity DOTS VS (I'm calling it this because Unity sucks at naming) is coming with 2020.1.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Unity3D/comments/b4ncv2/visual_scripting_is_coming_to_unity_20201/

That said like @BIGTIMEMASTER pointed out just having these assets doesn't mean your game will look good. You need to have the skill and knowledge to make proper use of them. Sane defaults (Unity really needs these) only take you so far. And if you have the skill and knowledge making your own photorealistic assets is not that much harder.

Below is a guide to creating your own photogrammetry assets on a very reasonable budget of no more than $1000.

https://3dscanexpert.com/beginners-guide-3d-scanning-photogrammetry/

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  36. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

Who cares if their visual scripting isn't ready yet when I can name three alternatives from the Asset Store?

On the contrary, as a Unity early adopter, I'm against them adding all those features because professionals like me already have mature third party tools doing a perfect job. The last thing I want is to pay for more half assed products like collaborate instead of solving bugs and maintaining the engine.

Ryiah and AcidArrow like this.
  37. Brainslum

Brainslum

I was at LA Unite. I am fully aware. But UE4 is levels levels above Unity on this one.

In LA its impossible to use Unity for animation & film unless disney who partnered with them. Because Unity has no 3rd party support. I am talking about Ncam, Brainstorm infinity set, blackmagic ultimatte workflow etc.

This is just a few of them. Also UE4 Motion builder live link is much more robust than mesh sync.

Unity for film, it just looks flashy. If you work in this area, you will know how hard it is to actually use unity, its like introducing Blender in the industry. THERE IS NO SUPPORT. UNITY NEEDS TO APPROACH TO THESE PARTIES SO it is actually used in LA

38. Brainslum

Brainslum

People saying AAA art is cheap....

Okay, you can paint on a paper easily unless you don't have hands, that doesn't make a painter cheap. You can get complete games from UE4 marketplace, that doesnt make ue4 games cheap and unity games more expensive.

There is still much greater depth in realtime art compared to other workflows. Its easy to start but hard to master. you need to master substance designer, painter, and UE4 rendering. Making photoreal stuff is like doing life drawing, it's a practice to push your knowledge. On top of all of these, what makes a great artist is the idea, just like game.

You'd be surprised how much a professional real time artist is paid. It is probably more than many people's indie game will ever make.

My point is, make something, visually or a complete game. Not experimenting with ECS Physics kind of S*** for years. Thats the culture Unity has nurtured. Creating tools and feel accomplished is a good practice but is not a healthy mindset unless your goal is to build tools.

When I jump into UE4, I have a great idea of how short time im investing in and what end product i am getting.A lot of these requires 3rd party soft/hardwares that dont support unity

Peope in LA would choose UE4 ANY DAY for its blueprint feels.

Against blueprint? Against accessible AAA Art? Go to a professional hub and see how clients and business leader reacts to it. Unity is out of the competition round 1.

39. Brainslum

Brainslum

The problem with Unity, is its incomplete. DOTS is years away from having a complete, matured stack like UE4 now. You do everything of your game in the editor its butter smooth and those 'shiny toy' you mentioned, are practical toolsets from years of developing games. They solve every pain in the ass when there is one.

When you do need to roll something hard on your own and go crunch mode in UE4, you get great reward from it. In unity, I have been going crunch mode to cover its holes and things unsupported. Now it is much better after 2018.3, but still far behind.

40. Ryiah

Ryiah

Completely agree, and since you're the ones coming to our turf telling us we're doing it wrong, how about you show us what you've accomplished rather than writing walls of text.

Unity DOTS is completely viable now. You don't need a complete stack because it's fully capable of working with the current approach (MonoBehaviours attached to GameObjects) with no additional work.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  41. Brainslum

Brainslum

42. iamthwee

iamthwee

+1

43. iamthwee

iamthwee

Also, I was wondering about the state of scripting without blueprints in c++, in truth, this is one of the biggest things holding me back from trying unreal. I've heard about skookum script and uscript but unsure if it's any good/ likely to be properly supported.

I think of the c++ tuts I've found the one belows appears the most concise and easy to understand, but still looks quite daunting.

Ryiah likes this.
  44. keeponshading

keeponshading

My point of view.
    All Unity and Unreal users took big benefits from last years ongoing competition.
    No one would exist without the other like it is today.

The fight for users and market share in automotive, film, archviz.... will get much harder.

The texture texture streaming Unreal developed last 8 months in combination with the unlimted free access to the Megascans Lib is an huge strategic action.

The 1.2 Mio Mega Grant to Blender Foundation, too.

Epic has an enormous free cashflow
    Just be prepared for more agressive bigger and smaller strategic actions like aquiring
    Silicon Studio and fireing out Yebis and Enlighten for free or aquiring Unitys Essential Assets for now like Bakery, Photon or Rewired ... for obvious reasons and little money.

Just be prepared and have answers.

45. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

Could you please expand about this with some practical examples?

So far, what you are describing looks like things I have already but I don't know UE enough to compare.

Thanks.

MadeFromPolygons and iamthwee like this.
  46. Ryiah

Ryiah

Acquiring Bakery (and expanding it to support realtime global illumination) would make many of us very happy, but Rewired is a completely different story because the new input system is both very good and far easier to learn than Rewired.

neoshaman and MadeFromPolygons like this.
  47. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

It's not free at all. They take 5% of your revenue which is a lot more than Unity for professionals.

On the other end, you could use Unity free and make the same ArchViz quality without giving them a cent.

MadeFromPolygons and Ryiah like this.
  48. Brainslum

Brainslum

While you say Animation Montages and certain features are shiny toys in UE4, I DISAGREE. THEY ARE WAY MORE PRACTICAL, and are battle tested than ECS. If the one that is doing all the SHINY TOYS, it is Unity, NOT UE4.

Since you say its easy to implement all the UE4 features. Why don't you make a version of Unity that is as complete as UE4? I bet one year of update all those features will be shattered by some deprecated core tech. UE4 enter game mode is blazing fast. Unity is barely addressing this in 2019.3. If you implement the same features. I doubt the stability will even come close. Things like ArtV1 and standard rig is more helpful to gamemaking than experimental ECS alone. It takes everything to make a game, not just ECS.

Let's make something close to Fortnite, Gears of War with Unity first. Then lets see how ECS enhances on top of that.
    It is possible to make them with Unity, but everybody knows it will be a pain in the ass and possibly the product will never see light of day because how much obstacle developers have to face because unity does not provide strong and practical foundation

CryEngine doesn't make you bake lightmaps. Every engine has some shiny toys. But UE4 is the much more complete package. Engine completeness of UE4 wins studio doing film or AAA game if they are not using in house engines.

Secondly, Unity is non existent in Previz/Film/Animation, except (Baymax Dream parnership is a while ago. MTV. Sony Interative all have virtual production studios based in Unreal. Also Culver City Studios like Blur, uses UE4 + NCam in LA nobody uses Unity. The entire industry nobody relies on it.) The disparity is Maya vs Blender in a professional world, even worse. Unity R&D is smart to make it look relevant, but it is not.

My point is, compared to a complete package like UE4, its hard for studios to go unity route when they have millions of investment to be responsible for, the result is major 3rd party hardware and software developers like NCam will not support it because there is no demand. Without those 3rd party companies, its not even possible. UE4 is also taking the entire Broadcast industry by storm. MTV, Sony Interactive,CBS have in house virtual production studios only useing UE4. When money is at stake, complete and matured package is what decision comes to, not experimental feature stacks like ECS.

I talk to Brainstorm/Other viritual production company people on a daily basis. This is everyone's impression on Unity.

49. Brainslum

Brainslum

Blizzard Game Evolve trailer was all rednered in CryEngine, did you know that?

Every engine has at least something in Film/Animation portfolio. I watch really closely to what unity is doing in film/tv. this is my job.

But. On every VFX heavy set in LA. In every virtual production studios in LA. You see UE4. I have never seen Unity. I have been an advocate to introduce UNITY. But there is no support for that in Unity.

In other words. Its currently impossible. The tech is non existent for unity, if you want to do NDisplay/Virtual Production(I mean how to get reflections real? The quality of compositing isn't like you just roll a chroma key shader). BECAUSE RENDER PIPELINE BROKE CLUSTER RENDERING! You know what? Cinemachine is gonna be completely reworked because of all the ECS update!

You just can't deny, UE4 is just a complete package that is very practical in game making/Film. Address all the issues and those are built as core functionalities of the engine. It is designed to do that.

50. keeponshading

keeponshading

Good points. Some thought about rt film

There is a lot in the pipeline.
    HDRP + DXR and VFX Graph really will rock.
    The problem here is the Post Processing Stack.
    V1, V2 and current V3 are always stopped in development after base implementation and platform compatibility is finished.
    Yebis is 1or 2 years ahead. Only because they never stopped refining it.
    For an physical correct sky with volumetric clouds and wathering and an ocean who fills more than 50% of the pixels of most scenarios we must rely on assets like overcloud and crest. These should the be Engine Standards using latest shadering of the underlying RP.

.The Progressive GPU is the biggest drama and gets really dangerous.

Concerning rt film there is a heavy shift from bigger studios like UBISOFT Film or some great Manga Studios to Blender.
    Because community, license cost, artists and OpenSource got more and more important. Epic saw that that and they did the 1.2 Mio fund to Blender foundation.
    There will be an non destructive open source round trip behaviour soon between Blender as DCC and Unreal.
    Together with around 10 000 free available HQ photogrammetry assets they simply have done a good job in term of long term strategy.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.