Search Unity

Entire Quixel MEGASCAN Now Free for Unreal Engine, Can we get this Please Unity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LIVENDA_LABS, Nov 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

You could, but the license is different depending on whether you have a subscription or are accessing them as an Unreal user.

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

Oh no catastrophe!
    Now I won't be able to make my cubes look beautiful.
    I am switching to UE cubes instead ...

Emanx140, Martin_H and iamthwee like this.
  3. outtoplay

outtoplay

something more in the line of Thousands of 2d and 3d assets. Guess if they are good enough for several feature films, they'd be good enough for the average professional users. Unless their genre was Angry Birds or Luigi's Mansion.

4. neoshaman

neoshaman

You mean the model of competing with your customer?

Also it's not just quixel, they also released all asset of their still born paragon game, for free, like high quality human character with high quality environment and shader. Especially since unity is struggling with realistic character, let's not talk about game ready version.

5. Brainslum

Brainslum

Ue4 is just still levels above unity. I'm a user of both engines and I wont be back to unity until they have something as matured as ue4 currently(built in behavior tree, visual scripting, physics and physics animation, etc.

6. iamthwee

iamthwee

RTX Light Probes?

7. Antypodish

Antypodish

Yeah why not. I would just need to buy GPU supporting RTX first :)

8. iamthwee

iamthwee

Adobe acquires substance, unreal acquires Quixel, Google acquires Adobe + unreal.

9. iamthwee

iamthwee

Ask Santa Claus, that's what I did :D

Antypodish likes this.
  10. Antypodish

Antypodish

I see what you trying. You try to convince me to stay with Unity :p

11. iamthwee

iamthwee

If you think *this* thread affects 99% of indie devs switching to unreal you'd be right - but then of course two days later they return to unity mu ha ha.

Ippokratis and Ruberta like this.
  12. Billy4184

Billy4184

I'm more interested in streamlining the entire process of making a game than in getting a bunch of stuff for free. If someone gave you a Ferrari engine in return for your hyundai it doesn't help you get to work any faster, quite the contrary.

It's not a bad thing to have, for sure. But it doesn't change anything for me. I still weigh both engines in terms of how fast they help me to reach my goals, and Unity still has a marginal advantage in usability. If I really need photogrammetric textures I know where to find them for $20.

angrypenguin and Ryiah like this.
  13. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Meh, dont care. I went down the whole "maybe unreal would be better/easier/higher quality/x" and you know what? Its no different. Its not really any harder to code for, but its also not really capable of more unless you are capable of more, which means I need to learn a new engine to a better standard than the one I already know.

Seeing as I know how long it took me to learn unity to this standard, theres just no point, itll take too long and the benefits dont outweigh that time cost at all.

If I was able to implement anything easier in unreal then I would have switched already but so far nothing is any easier, its just different and that in no way helps things.

14. sxa

sxa

I honestly think that this opens up the market. Its only free if you're on Unreal, and I actually expect some non-Unreal users are going to be thinking about how to preempt the potential issue of this going Unreal-only further down the line.

angrypenguin likes this.
  15. Ruberta

Ruberta

True, DOTS Sample is coming and I'm so excited for that.

iamthwee and Teila like this.
  16. Goatogrammetry

Goatogrammetry

Well, you have noticed that Unreal Engine is the one people who do photo-realistic games tend to use (now even more no doubt) and Unity is the low-poly or 1988 pixel art game engine....

Now, having done a little research, it appears that Megascans are just a bunch of set-pieces that'd be really, really hard to make a real game level out of, while my stuff is very specifically designed to provide meaty vis-blocking and geometry-creating pieces. It'll be a trick to get that point across to people if they're not even looking for stuff outside of Quixel's in-engine editor though.

17. konsic

konsic

Unreal is looking toward movie industry for previz, scene setup and archviz.

18. Murgilod

Murgilod

Yeah, it's too bad that Unity isn't getting support for additional render pipleline options and huge performance improvements or anything.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  19. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

$19 a month is good value for what you get if you want to use quixel still. If you aren't making a HDRP game then you probably don't care.

If you are making a HDRP game you would have some kind of budget that can cover this. High end art is not cheap.

angrypenguin, XthemeCore and Ryiah like this.
  20. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

High end art is cheap in Unreal , as in free ;)

21. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

It is, but unfortunately if you are a team (even if it's just 2 people) and not a lone artist/freelancer or whatever, you need to go with the INDIE option which is $199/month.

Ryiah likes this.
  22. Frienbert

Frienbert

megascans are not just set pieces when paired with their mixer software.

23. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

as in 5% per quarter per platform ;)

$19 for a few months - 2 or 3 at most? vs a lifetime per quarter, per platform of 5%. Unfortunately for me, the 5% really is a deal breaker. I don't want dependencies.

I want to be as free with my own stuff as I possibly could be. If epic actually handled that 5% behind the scenes for every store, so I would never have to worry about it...

... I'd definitely consider UE4.

XthemeCore, Ryiah and Martin_H like this.
  24. Antypodish

Antypodish

Speaking, like if the tool was free before whole story ....
    Is halve price for most and people still crying out. Sorry but I don't get it.

Martin_H likes this.
  25. iamthwee

iamthwee

I've been closely watching this thread and so far. . .

I've read nothing of Substance :D Get it? No? OK

neoshaman and Player7 like this.
  26. chingwa

chingwa

Also dat China money... aiyaaah.

iamthwee likes this.
  27. Hexer_

Hexer_

A little joke in this grim times..
    Can you imagine what Unity's demo team is doing right now?
    My guess is they're drawing straws to see who will go into the wilderness and photoscan those beautiful assets for their next demo :p

Don-Gray likes this.
  28. keeponshading

keeponshading

What an move...

Lumberyard has Speed Tree
    Unreal the complete Megascans Library

Crazy times.
    The hard thing is that big companys who needed to pay more than 100k per year for the Studio License before get it now for free.?
    Thats an big value.

29. iamthwee

iamthwee

This is going to herald an explosion of walking simulators indie AAA games, nothing new exciting times!

30. kdgalla

kdgalla

Meh, pretty soon there'll be a free app on your phone where you can just walk around an object with your camera pointed at it and it'll instantly make an optimized 3D model with an unlit albedo map, normal map, AO and smoothness.

31. keeponshading

keeponshading

Or someone deploys an unreal mesh streamer so that i can stream the meshes to my unity build.)
    Should be ok with the licensing. LOL.

Don-Gray likes this.
  32. ChunkyToads

ChunkyToads

Inline with countering Epic's new advantage, has anyone here used the program Agisoft Metashape?

Thinking of giving it a go myself for creating high-quality photogrammic assets. As with any model creation I'd imagine it's much more dynamic to than using assets from a static library (ie Quixel Megasans). I've used some opensource and free alternatives but honestly the price tag of $170 doesn't seem outrageous if it can perform much better.... Found this review, looks great.

Moonjump, OCASM and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  33. iamthwee

iamthwee

If I was going to use these type of assets, and it would be purely for a single scene as a proof of concept or something, definitely not for a game, I wouldn't even bother with creating my OWN photogrammic assets. The Quixel library should more than cover you IMO.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  34. Brainslum

Brainslum

I tried ue4 and never looked back unity. I highly suggest trying it out. Everything is seamlessly integrated with their built in behavior tree. Visual scripting and tons of engine features. All the robust features that have, become something in the asset store in unity that's less performant and have upgrading and compatibility issue with each other.

After using ue4 I think unity is a lie

35. Brainslum

Brainslum

Unity promised visual scripting in unite la for 2019.2..a year past its not even available in packages but only github. now they are pushing things like reflect.. how about a built in ai solution like behavior tree? Networking? Networking is 100 times easier and more robust in ue4. Unity needs to push hard on being a game engine now. Ue4 is just so solid nowadays. Unity is turning into a archivist and simulation thing. I guess its gonna be bought by microsoft and used to run simulations with ecs for azure. It really sucks compared to ue4 as a game engine/previa engine for film and animation

36. iamthwee

iamthwee

@Brainslum out of interest how close have you come to making a 'complete' game inside unreal?

37. Antypodish

Antypodish

So what are you doing here? Ranting? You know how such threads end up ...

38. Ryiah

Ryiah

Basically nothing important that can't be implemented by a skilled developer or through the asset store.

iamthwee likes this.
  39. Murgilod

Murgilod

I think a few people here are overestimating the need for photogrammetric assets, even in AAA space.

OCASM, Martin_H, angrypenguin and 2 others like this.
  40. iamthwee

iamthwee

Simple question yet elusively difficult for unreal indies to answer it seems. . .

41. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

42. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Unity acquired Obvioos, creators of Furioos.
    Take that, Unreal.
    Nobody falls for 10736 free AAA+ quality assets, especially 3d artists.
    Right?

Unity's decision to not create first-party games using the engine is wrong in every possible way. Diversification is one thing, losing focus is another. Unity lost focus. Networking is a mess, HDRP is used only for "short movies" after [Edit-thanks Murgilod] 2 years, ECS is "promising" 4-5 years after its announcement.

First-party games might help to regain focus. VR is a lost cause, AR is at least 2-3 years away, hype and exposure cannot sustain this company forever.

Create a first-party game. That Fps Sample thing, Nicholas's Static sky, the helicopter game that started it all but never finished, a casual game. Focus.

And yes, well-played Unreal, again.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    jcarpay, Stardog and Goatogrammetry like this.
  43. Goatogrammetry

Goatogrammetry

Get Zephyr by 3D Flow. I know that Quixel uses Reality Capture, but I highly recommend Zephyr. This guy's video, by the way, shows how to get 10% to a game model. 90% of the work lies ahead of him. He took far too few photos, and used the wrong kind of camera in the wrong kind of lighting. His scan of the tree actually failed (note the phantom chunk of grass hanging below it, and he'd have to spend a day dealing with the top) He's done no retopo (with a nice UV unwrap) and his mesh had so few photos that Agisoft failed to get anything but the basic shape (No surface detail) and yet that basic shape is using 10x as many triangles as you'd want for a game asset. He's still got to do de-lighting and LODs colliders and all that goes with a game object.

44. Murgilod

Murgilod

Not even remotely true. HDRP was only even an integrated thing in the 2018.1 beta. Before that it was so experimental that it may as well not even exist. Not only that, but you can see plenty of people using HDRP in production in both the HDRP and WIP forums.

ECS's formal announcement was in 2017, so this is... like... just a lie.

AR is in pretty common use in a lot of not-game related industries.

Making a game would not benefit Unity in any practical way and this has been covered in every thread where somebody floats this half-baked idea.

OCASM, angrypenguin and Ryiah like this.
  45. Stardog

Stardog

Too true. They always deny they don't need to make games, and even embed staff into development teams to get feedback on how the engine is used, but I feel like, if they made games, their priorities would be very different. We would have a lot more useful features inside the editor. Unity terrain shader only supports diffuse/normal map...yikes.

46. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

47. Murgilod

Murgilod

The job system and ECS are two different things.

48. Ryiah

Ryiah

People keep making this statement but I feel like it wouldn't have any real impact on the company because the people who make decisions and set priorities have already worked in the game development industry as either actual game developers or management of game developers.

John Riccitiello, for example, worked for Electronic Arts starting from 1997 till 2014. That's seventeen years of experience working in various roles of management for the company. Are you saying that's not enough for him to direct the company now?

49. Goatogrammetry

Goatogrammetry

In the end, I detect a little jealousy about Epic's massive budget and ability to buy a key provider in the industry. Hey Unity. Give me that mega-grant that Epic declined (now I know why LOL) and I'll make photogrammetry for you!

Here's my 2 cents. Unity has a lot of fancy features that take some skill and expertise to access. As an artist, I am a bit intimidated by shader graphs, scriptable pipelines, vfx graph, the soon to be released kinematica, that inscrutable hair shader from the racoon short, the new rigging/animation stuff... Not to mention the code stuff which is all French to me. Stuff like Quixel and Speed Tree are things ANYONE can just drop in and have fun with, so it has a bigger WOW factor even if its kinda not even engine specific. And we're at a loss to think of what Unity COULD do. If they partnered with Occulus and sent out dev kits for free I'd perk up.

50. Brainslum

Brainslum

This is fundamentally wrong. You can build all the wheels for godot as well. But that's not making a product. With ue4, the game management system is insane. In unity you can try to implement ue4s level and spawn management with scriptableobject. Nothing in the asset store even comes close to what ue4 gives to players. entire animation system is far superior. Animation montage, animation curves directly feed logics in ue4. In unity you need something like animancer to do that. And just wait ecs destroy all ur hard effort. Behavior tree sounds like a simple task? How long does it take opsive to bring it to such level? Yet with ue4 everything can simply reference built in blackboard? How about rendering? I created the same shader with hdrp lit compared to ue4 out of the box digital human example. Unity s shadown and reflection simply dont hold up
    I once had that mentality 'build it youself'. How about roll my own animation montage in unity? How about a full fleshed physics animation system integrated in persona? How about a powerful retargeting system that let you define custom rig and retargeting generic rigs? My rage does not come from. It came from the mentality unity has nurtured. The longer they make u make roll it yourself the more likely you go to the asset store for something else. Its bussiness model is different. And they dont focus on game making. For console games, only thing unity has an edge is cinemachine. I dont make mobile games or 2d but that aspect unity definitely wins

PutridEx likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.