Search Unity

Enthusiast here and new to Unity3D game development - some questions about my RPG options

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ebj5883, Sep 2, 2016.

1. ebj5883

ebj5883

I wasn't sure if this question should be posted in the "Design" forum or here, but I apologize if this is the wrong place. I chose this because I don't have an active project going at the moment.

At any rate, I've tried making an RPG sometime back in 2009 with RPG Maker 2003, but my PC crashed and I lost it all (I didn't like the front view battle system anyway). Luckily I was only 5 or 6 hours into it. I'm only just now making the attempt to get back into this, and through the use of another forum, was referred to Unity3D. I just thought that I'd assess my options on this forum, where I could presumably attain a direct answer to my questions:

1.) I'd like to have a "Star Ocean" style battle system, where traveling the world map or any dungeons which have random encounters results in being brought to a zone where you can freely move around to battle the enemies. I understand that this is likely a tall order, but I thought I'd ask nonetheless. A second preference would be a turn based style, like older Final Fantasy games. I'd imagine that this is much more practical.

2.) I'd also like for the end of my game to have a secret dungeon, but only after beating the game. By this I mean that, say... after defeating the story's final boss, you watch the ending and then its over. Upon restarting the game however, a previously blocked path would now be open, which would be where the secret dungeon exists. Another option for this could be a choice which is made at the end, where one ends the game, and the other allows travel to the secret zone. I have no idea which of these is more practical than the other, or if either of them can be done at all.

I'm willing to drop some money into this engine if I can attain these goals. I have the free version of the engine downloaded, so I'd also be curious to know how much more simple it is to make a game with a paid version. The appeal to the RPG Maker series was that it was basically drag and drop style. I know I won't have that with this software, but my options seem far more vast.

2. drewradley

drewradley

3. ebj5883

ebj5883

Interesting. The reviews seem to reflect that this is the go-to kit to use. I'll look into it, but will this provide all tools needed to make a complete game?

4. N1warhead

N1warhead

Only one way to find out. Right under "GET STARTED" in the middle there's a full free version it says.

5. RockoDyne

RockoDyne

In the same way that RPG Maker can make a complete game. You're stuck with their base template of a game until you get dirty and extend their systems or create your own.

6. ebj5883

ebj5883

I literally just learned that before coming back to the post. I'm at work at the moment, so my research ability is diminished. Thanks for the input! This is great news for me.

7. ebj5883

ebj5883

Oh I totally understand having limitations based on the software or kit. I was just referring to how I saw another kit reflecting its purpose of creating one aspect of a game rather than a full one. I was just seeing if this was a comprehensive kit or not.

8. Dave-Carlile

Dave-Carlile

You can do anything you need to do with the free version. The paid version lets you remove Unity's splash screen and provides some cloud based benefits. Otherwise it's the exact same software.

9. RockoDyne

RockoDyne

Let's say it covers about 80-90% of the basic needs. Whether your needs align with those basic needs is likely to be a big issue.

10. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Unity is awesome. I think you can do what you want with it. In any case you should definitely go through some of the beginner tutorials in the "Learn" section and grasp the engine before using a kit. Theyre video tutorials and really short and to the point. Theres also some practical example tutorials like the 2D rogue like game tutorial.

theANMATOR2b likes this.