Search Unity

Question Ensure virtual-physical synchronicity in 36m² room

Discussion in 'VR' started by PascalTheDog, Jul 8, 2021.

1. PascalTheDog

PascalTheDog

I've been tasked with developing a multiplayer VR experience for the Oculus Quest 2 that takes places in a 36m² (6x6) room. The position/rotation of the player's avatar in virtual space and of the actual player in physical space should be synchronized as accurately as possible, as if those spaces were one and the same.

If I draw my 6x6 guardian from the center of the room and then start the app facing forward, everything is where it should be and to scale: I will be at the center of the virtual space, facing forward. If I quit the app, move around within the guardian (even with the headset in sleep mode) and launch the app again, I'll start where I moved to, facing whichever direction I'm actually facing. Nice.

But if I leave the guardian's boundaries, all hell breaks loose. Upon reentry, the virtual space and physical space are completely out of sync, and will remain so even if I reset the app. At this point, the only thing I can do is redraw the guardian. It appears the headset looses tracks of the virtual space's relation to the guardian and unsuccessfully tries to recreate it. I should note that the guardian itself didn't move; its boundaries still match that of the physical room.

Is there any way to ensure robust, long-term virtual-physical synchronicity? Or at least some sort of hack that ensures the room and the guardian can be made to remain reasonably aligned?