Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Enlighten... slow or stalled?

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by Whippets, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Whippets

Whippets

Anyone else finding that Enlighten stalls on "Enlighten - LightTransport" at 1% and never gets any further?

I'm trying a simple scene with a cube, a directional light and a flat 1000x1000 terrain.

gmaust6 and larsvmd like this.
  2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Try removing lightmapping from the static option when you click on the terrain (top right corner), it's the terrain that's giving Enlighten a hard time.

I did a single plane mesh, six trees, three buildings and it took 3 hours to pre-compute.. Yes I have logged a bug report.

gmaust6 and Anisoropos like this.
  3. carking1996

carking1996

Will wait to see if I have this bug, also, and see what happens.

4. Whippets

Whippets

Yep, removing lightmapping-static on the terrain sorts the problem.

Looking at my windows Process list, there are 2 processes called "JobProcess.exe" which are eating up 25% CPU time each (running 2 of my 4 cores at 100%), using 1Gb RAM each and winding the fan up quite a bit :)

These are unity processes which I presume are Enlighten workers - but should they really hog a whole core each and take an (as yet) infinite time to complete?

Update: Now each JobProcess.exe is eating 1.5Gb RAM and still steadily rising.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
    gmaust6 likes this.
  5. Deleted User

Deleted User

We have 32GB per machine for lightmass, it'll keep going.. Munch Munch!..

gmaust6 likes this.
  6. Michal-Leszczynski

Michal-Leszczynski

I have also issue with enlighten.

I get constant error message in console:

'CreateSystem' job failed with error code: 10 ('Failed writing Precomp Packed System file.').

Any way to turn fix this or at least turn enlighten off?

7. Whippets

Whippets

Heh XD I only have 4Gb. If I leave Enlighten going, and have firefox browsing, I start to run into memory pagination >.< doh

8. carking1996

carking1996

I think well see a unity person come here soon bout it.

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

To switch it off, go in into lightmapping and select on-demand. Don't forget to submit a bug report please :)..

carking1996 likes this.
  10. bmccall1

bmccall1

What exactly does using the lightmapping do if you have real time GI? Could someone explain that?

Thanks!

Whippets likes this.
  11. Whippets

Whippets

Maybe some more in-depth tutorials are needed to explain all of these settings and options :)

12. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

>Any way to turn fix this or at least turn enlighten off?

You can switch to OnDemand Lightmap mode to turn off automatic baking.

If there is a bake failure happening where it gives you an error then please file a bug report with a project that contains the scene that fails to bake.

You might also want to reduce the "Precompute Resolution" to a smaller value.
    You also want to make sure your models have unique uvs. If you havent made unique uvs yourself, please use the automatic UV unwrapping tool.

Please make sure to watch this:
    http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules/beginner/5-pre-order-beta/unity5-lighting-overview

Some more in depth talk about enlighten:

13. sqallpl

sqallpl

Hey Joachim,

What do you mean by the unique uvs? Do you mean that model just need to be unwrapped (generally) or do you mean that the faces in the model can't be overlapped in the uv map? I mean the case when multiple faces from a model use same pixels/space in the uv map.

14. niosop2

niosop2

The second. No faces should overlap in the UV map that's used for lightmapping.

15. bmccall1

bmccall1

i took static lightmapping out of my terrains. and i still cannot get lighting to bake. it runs for a while and then locks the system up to ridiculous levels.

I'm at 9 gigs ram in use on one of the jobprocess.exe as we speak.

16. sqallpl

sqallpl

Even when I'm using Dynamic GI instead of static?

EDIT: I've just checked this in Dynamic GI mode with a mesh that has overlapped uvs (multiple faces are using same space on the uv map) and looks like it works fine.

I've put one part of a mesh in a 'black box' created with cubes, so one part of this mesh is inside the box and the other one is outside of the box.

The part that is inside the box is dark as it should be. The part that is outside is not affected, it's not dark and it uses same uv space(faces that are outside of the box are using same uv space as the faces inside the box), I can clearly see same parts of the texture from an overlapped uvs. The ones that are inside the box are dark, the ones on top are not.

I'm not sure if it works fine but it looks like it's ok. I'm still testing it.

EDIT 2: I'venoticed one more thing. Same mesh, one with uv map, another one without uv map. They both look almost same in the lightmap preview and both are bouncing my Directional Light.

It looks like a projection from ortho view or something likt that. The mesh is a wooden plank. here is the screenshot from the one without uvs. The one with uvs looks almost identical.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  17. Kuba

Kuba

Generally the second UVs should be proper lightmapping UVs, no matter whether you are using realtime GI or baked GI: http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LightmappingUV.html

In case of realtime GI Enlighten packs the charts (UV islands) again, so even if there were overlapping charts they will be fixed in the realtime lightmap. However if you had overlapping triangles within one chart this will not be automatically corrected and should be fixed by the user: either by enabling UV generation on the model importer or by fixing the UVs manually.

18. bmccall1

bmccall1

Just a follow up from yesterday's post. I let that same bake run over night, which btw rendered the computer totally unusable (hitting ctrl alt delete took about 3 minutes to respond) This morning I woke up and Unity had just stopped using memory altogether, most of my apps had crashed and the system was just unresponsive. The bake, obviously, never finished.

Its hanging on clustering when it happens.

19. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

hi bmccall1, could you please file a bug with your project attached so we can take a look. Thanks!

20. bmccall1

bmccall1

Sure. My project is a few gigs total. That ok?

21. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Yes, not a problem.

22. sgehrman

sgehrman

< You can switch to OnDemand Lightmap mode to turn off automatic baking.

Where is this setting?

23. Mauri

Mauri

24. Elecman

Elecman

My project always stalls Enlighten as well. If I mark the terrain as non-static, it goes a bit further, but still stalls eventually.

Bug report filed. Case 644008.

25. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

1) Open the Lighting Window
    2) Go to the General GI Settings section.
    3) From the Workflow drop-down options, select OnDemand.

Screenshot:

Attached Files:

larsvmd likes this.
  26. thehosse

thehosse

I'm still having major issues with 5.0.0b19 and lightmapping, I'm trying to bake scene GI onto lightmaps and just have realtime direct lighting.

No matter what settings I try the cluster process eventually hangs. Even clearing the lightmap data and restarting Unity does nothing. I'm using a 990x cpu with 12gb memory, the job processes just soak up memory until Unity begins to stall or close itself.

Seems light Enlighten is so far off from being usable still, I'm beginning to doubt Unity's decision to move over from Beast.!

27. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

@thehosse please submit a bug report with your scene so we can have a look and resolve the problem for you. Thanks!