Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Enlighten is not working with HDRP in Unity 2021.2.0b4.3123

Discussion in '2021.2 Beta' started by DigitalAdam, Jul 20, 2021.

1. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

I thought that Enlighten will be avaiable in 2021. Right now it's grayed-out and I can't select it. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks.

2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hi @adamz,

This forum post explains the plans for future Enlighten support. Enlighten is not going to be available as a solution for baked lighting in HDRP.

3. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Hi. Then when does this blog say otherwise?
    Unity 2021.2 beta is available for feedback | Unity Blog

Scroll down to SRP, and it says "The following features are compatible with URP and HDRP." Enlighten is listed within the SRP section.

4. It says the same thing, what @LeonhardP said:

5. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

From my understanding is that URP and HDRP are using the Scriptable Rendering Pipeline. In the blog it states that everything under SRP is also compatable with URP and HDRP.

Enlighten does work if I use the asset Lightbox for HDRP. His asset changes the Lighting settings to Enlighten. I wanted to not have to use that asset and select it myself.

Attached Files:

6. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Here is an example of it working within 2021.2. I'm using the free LightingBox 2, and that asset allows the engine to choose Enlighten. So Maybe it's a bug?

Enlighten.jpg

7. You don't really read the messages on the inspector...
    screenshot.png

8. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Well it works, I'm able to move the light around and the GI updates in real-time. My guess is since this is a beta, they're still working out the bugs and features.

You'll get further in life if you talk to people respectfully...

9. Again, read the warning. It says, it will use the CPU lightmapper.

???

10. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

I can read what it says. What I'm sharing is the bog post that says it works in HDRP, along with me setting up a test scene with it working when I use that asset, regardless of that warning.

And regarding ???, when you write; "You don't really read..." you imply that I don't pay attention in a condescending way. Maybe that's not how you wanted to come across, either way that's how I took it.

11. runner78

runner78

If you say "it works" then we understand that you mean that Enlighten works, but the message box says Enlighten does not work and CPU PLM is used. So make it as if you haven't read the message correctly.

12. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

What the blog post says is that Realtime GI using Enlighten is supported in HDRP (and URP) from 2021.2. Lightmapping with Enlighten is not supported in HDRP. Those are two different systems.

13. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

I'm trying to bake the lighting so when I move the directional light for a time-of-day system it updates in real time. The problem I'm running into is that I dont know what settings to "check" in the Lighting tab to be able to choose Enlighten in the dropdown. I've tried to only check Realtime Global Illumination and that did work, it grayed-out the entire Lightmapping Settings. I tried to check Realtime Global Illumination along with Baked Global Illumination, and that did not allow me to choose Enlighten. What do I need to do in order to get the Enlighten dropdown/settings?

14. runner78

runner78

You can't have Realtime Global Illumination along with Baked Global Illumination. If you set Baked, you do not have realtime anymore.

KRGraphics likes this.
  15. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

I thought so. I just cant figure out how I can be able to select the Enlighten dropdown.

16. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

You don't. You enable Realtime-GI from that lighting menu and disable baked GI from it. You don't configure lightmap baking at all since you don't want to use it.

Like explained above, lightmapping (baked GI) and realtime GI are two different things. What you describe is that you want only realtime GI.

17. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Got it, thanks.

18. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I just ran into this issue and was banging my head trying to figure it out. It's been a while since I used the lightmapping tools. Now I'm happy :)