Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Enlighten filled up my 1TB SSD o.O

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by TwoWholeWorms, Feb 19, 2015.

1. TwoWholeWorms

TwoWholeWorms

So, I set Unity off building the lighting for my scene last night, and when I woke up this morning it was to the Force Quit dialogue box telling me that my system had run out of application memory. After killing Unity, I noticed that I also had only 2GB disk space left, when it was 600GB when I went to sleep. o_O

My scene is just 16 4096x4096 terrains in a 4x4 grid with a few models dumped on top of it—nothing /that/ complicated. Does it seriously require more disk space to calculate the lighting for a single scene than it does to render the whole of Big Buck Bunny in 4K? o_O

2. orb

orb

Holy crap. I hope they don't ask for the temporary files for the bug report ;)

TwoWholeWorms and shkar-noori like this.
  3. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Holy Dogshit. That is insane.

4. seattlebluesky

seattlebluesky

RC2? What are the Lighting baked and realtime settings?

5. idunlop_oefun

idunlop_oefun

I had a similar issue occur on RC2. Yosemite ran out of memory and prompted me to close down applications. I reported my issue with scene; bug - 672845.

6. TwoWholeWorms

TwoWholeWorms

Yeah, it's 5.0.0f2, and I have an emissive texture I use to emulate corridor lighting without actually having to have 180 individual tiny point lights. :p Sometimes it works fine (although it takes hours to process) and sometimes it seems to hang and get stuck on something and it just keeps writing data in the process. >.<

7. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

@TwoWholeWorms could you please file a bug report with your scene attached so we can take a look? We have a pretty good idea of what is wrong but we would like to have your scene to verify that the fix works.
    Also, was your disk filled because of virtual memory swapping to the hard drive or was it some specific files that wasn't cleaned up?

8. TwoWholeWorms

TwoWholeWorms

Alas, it wasn't swapping that caused the fill-up; it figuratively dumped the entire Internet into the GICache folder, which I unfortunately just deleted rather than diagnosing properly.

I'll try to re-create the issue and get the scene to you for testing.

9. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

That shouldn't happen, the Gi Cache folder size is capped at 25 Gb per default IIRC.

10. SteveB

SteveB

Yikes...

...speaking of memory usage, where can we see the size of the final precomputed data for a given scene that's been processed for realtime GI?

11. idunlop_oefun

idunlop_oefun

12. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Thank you for the report @idunlop_oefun! I am not sure it is the same issue and would like a report from @TwoWholeWorms too. We'll have a look at both ofc.