Search Unity

Enlighten Baking Resources is literally killing PC

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by tanmaykulkarni, Apr 26, 2021.

1. tanmaykulkarni

tanmaykulkarni

Hey, I am trying to bake light for my scene with Enlighten. The scene has many trees and one directional light casting high resolution shadows, but when the baking reaches 3/17 BAKING RESOURCES, it starts lagging my high end pc, causes a fatal error and then my system closes unity.

I tried changing lightmap resolution and atlas size, still no success. Please help!

I am using Unity 2020.3 with Enlighten, lightmap resolution to 100, Indirect resolution to 1, atlas size 4096

Also, I have many terrains with high scale in lightmap in my scene.

How to bake light for my scene?

2. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

From the sound of it, your project needs to be optimized. Chances are Enlighten is creating a high number of charts for a large number of lightmaps. Such operations can take a very long time.

Are you using Enlighten Baked GI, or Enlighten Realtime GI (or both)? In either case, I would highly recommend reading through our official Enlighten optimization tutorial. While some steps are outdated due to changes to the UI, the principles it teaches are still valid.

PutridEx likes this.
  3. tanmaykulkarni

tanmaykulkarni

I am using Mixed global illumination with Shadowmask mode

4. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

Always use Very-Low parameters... It's 100x faster
    The GI quality is good for games on very low preset (like beast lightmapper)

PutridEx likes this.
  5. tanmaykulkarni

tanmaykulkarni

Thanks for the reply!
    I just got to know that I was using many terrains with high scales in lightmap, I just converted them to one terrain and used Shadowmask instead of subtractive. It massively speed up my bake and gave the perfect results with good graphics and good frame rate.

I suggest other developers to use Shadowmask instead of subtractive as it reduces bake time and also decreases the lightmap storage of your game

PutridEx likes this.