Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Graphics Enlighten 3

Discussion in '5.3 Beta' started by ImpossibleRobert, Oct 1, 2015.

1. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

The upgrade guide mentions Enlighten 3. Awesome! The change list on the Enlighten blog sounds great. What will this concretely mean for us in Unity? How does it compare to 5.2? What will become faster/better/worse?

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I am also curious. Are there any new features that come with the upgrade to 3?

I've only played with 5.3 for an hour or so, but I haven't noticed anything really new about enlighten so far.

3. O_and_N

O_and_N

Im sure one of the devs posted that elighten 3 will only include stability update and no new features(in regard to enlighten 3).
    On the other hand(as harsh as it may sound)my expectations are low to all that integration.Its been so many months and i know a ¨sertain¨ company had a similar issue with render times which was resolved in 2 months...

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Screen Shot 2015-10-03 at 22.53.19.png

eskovas likes this.
  5. minhdaubu2

minhdaubu2

6. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I don't think there are any new features right now, actually.

7. eskovas

eskovas

Yes! that's what i was most looking forward to :D real-time transparency

Where did you get the slides btw?

shkar-noori likes this.
  8. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

9. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Hmm also curious for this one, is this update gonna be included in 5.3 or gonna be for the next version. . .?

10. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone! I was on stage at Unite Europe 2015 (and I presented an updated version of the talk at Unite Boston recently) and I highly recommend that you watch the youTube version instead of just reading the slides from the presentations. And of course, attend Unite next time :)
    In the presentation I explained: First, we will stabilize the features we have with Enlighten 3, then we will start exposing the new features in future releases. This means that you will see performance improvements in 5.3, then the new features will start appearing as we add them.
    I hope everyone agrees with our decision on focusing on bugfixing and performance instead of adding new features like realtime transparency.

11. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Hei no worries, really thanks for letting us know. I guess i miss this part in the video :p

12. eskovas

eskovas

@KEngelstoft
    No worries, i guess i got a little carried away since i really want that feature :D
    I watched the Unite Europe conference and talk about Enlighten, but totally forgot what was coming in 5.3 when i saw Enlighten 3.

You guys take your time to make Enlighten as stable as possible

13. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

@KEngelstoft good strategy. Are you able to quantify the performance gains yet than come with the upgrade? And which parts of the process should be faster?

14. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

We have seen some good speedups in Clustering and Light Transport, but keep in mind that the results are very scene dependent. Somewhere between no speedups and twice as fast should be possible depending on the scene.

ImpossibleRobert likes this.
  15. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

It's not faster for me, but... the result is much better at seems.

16. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

What I am wondering, in the release notes of 5.2.2p4 you mention a seemingly minor update to enlighten (GI: Upgraded Enlighten to 2.22 UN20) but in the 5.3 release notes nothing at all is written about the upgrade to the major new version 3.0.2. Was it forgotten? Only the two new views are mentioned but no other advantages that should come with it.

17. CastleIsGreat

CastleIsGreat

omg im downloading the beta version now i have the perfect scene in progress to try realtime transparency on!!!!
    edit: tldr: just read posts after jumping ahead super sad now, but happy bug fixes!

18. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

is Enlighten in 5.3?

19. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Yes, but we're not exercising any of its new features yet. Just the perf improvements.

20. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

do you mind telling me what performance improvements are upcoming for Unity in the next month?

21. 101dalmatians

101dalmatians

1.png

What?? if all immovable objects will be included in precalculating build?? will it be 1000x times longer process rather than only use some environment objects like walls, floors and ceiling to be 'static' and let other highly detailed meshes to be lit by light probes? Is this something to be called an improvement or what?

22. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Hi! We have not added any of the new Enlighten 3.x features you so you should not see a performance regression from upgrading. Unity 5.4 will introduce Enlighten 3.03 which should speed up terrain baking and improve Final Gather quality.