Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Enlighten 3 Integration

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by shkar-noori, Aug 14, 2015.

1. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

Hi,

as I'm aware unity still uses Enlighten 2.22 , and Enlighten 3 was released at GDC in march ,and in the Unite Europe's Advanced Global Illumination session it was mentioned that its in the works and is being worked on, but I don't see it on the public roadmap, are there any estimations on this upgrade? cause as I've seen Enlighten 3 bring a lot of optimization and new features to the table, for example the new Enlighten 3.02 is 16 times faster than Enlighen 3.0, so it should bring a lot of performance upgrade going from 2.22 to 3.02,

Enlighten 3.02 Blog

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
    ImpossibleRobert and Pawige like this.
  2. Teo

Teo

That's interesting.

Depends on what agreement got Unity with Enlighten. Else depends on how fast Unity will update it.

3. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

Will it looks like the license with enlighten has no issues as of now, so its the matter of time before it arrives, but I want some more details about the new features and what should we expect from the new enlighten.

4. Teo

Teo

Well, there isn't anything on Unity roadmap about Enlighten 3 integration, so we have to wait for someone to Unity to confirm this and when this will come out.

5. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

Still waiting for a unity developer to show up.

6. Teo

Teo

Not gonna happen today I think, is Sunday in Europe.

7. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

shkar-noori likes this.
  8. Teo

Teo

shkar-noori likes this.
  9. SomeGuy22

SomeGuy22

Still no talk about dual lightmapping?? I'm starting to get worried :confused:

10. Teo

Teo

Yes any official reply to this could be nice.

Personally I really don't care about baked lights, I am more interested in precomputed real time GI and 3.02 seems to be a nice update.

11. Jesper-Mortensen

Jesper-Mortensen

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Due to technical reasons we stayed with Enlighten 2.22 for a while longer than we would have liked. The reason was that a lot of Unity specific features were added to Enlighten on a branch based on Enlighten 2.22. However, all those features are now in the mainline Enlighten 3 and we have recently upgraded to Enlighten 3.02. This will be made available in Unity 5.3 which is going into alpha about now. We have not integrated new Enlighten 3 features but they will trickle in along the way. But you will benefit from all the optimisations and quality improvements.

@Teo, we are not planning to integrate Forge, but will consider using some of the workflow ideas from it.

Cheers,
    Jesper

12. Teo

Teo

Please consider that live editing from Forge, that's the most useful stuff I think.

Also, thanks for reply, can't wait for 5.3 then:)

13. shkar-noori

shkar-noori