Search Unity

Engine CONSISTENTLY thinks I want to move objects along the least likely axis.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by IllTemperedTunas, Apr 27, 2020.

1. IllTemperedTunas

IllTemperedTunas

Edit: adding video for ease of seeing issue

Does anyone else have this issue or know of a solution?

Lets say i'm looking at an object damn near face on, a cube, and i want to move it up and to the left.

NOPE! Unity thinks i want to send it way off yonder into the G*D &(&#'ed mountains.

It's so frustrating. Could an update be applied to disable movement along a specific axis if that axis is nearly parallel to the current view angle?

I can't be the only person that finds this annoying as hell.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  2. DiegoDePalacio

DiegoDePalacio

Unity Technologies

Hi @IllTemperedTunas ,

I'm sorry that you're having issues while moving your objects inside the Editor.

What you can do is to use the "Move Gizmo" handles:
    • If you drag one of the arrows you're going to move your object in one axis;
    • If you drag one of the colored "planes" near to the center of the gizmo, you're going to move your object in a specific plane (one axis will be locked);
    • If you hold shift while clicking and dragging in the center of the Move Gizmo, the center of the Gizmo changes to a flat square. The flat square indicates that you can move the GameObject around on a plane relative to the direction the Scene view Camera is facing.
    You can find more detailed information about it here: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/PositioningGameObjects.html

Good luck with it!

Moonjump likes this.
  3. IllTemperedTunas

IllTemperedTunas

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to reply, Diego!
    Perhaps this video will illustrate the issue better:

From the angle I am looking at this sphere, I would most likely want to move it within the XY coordinates.

However becasue the Z move gizmo overrides the XY section of the gizmo it thinks I want to move the sphere all the way backwards into the distance.

Can you see how from this angle moving the sphere into the distance is the least likely thing I would want to do? Yet Unity forces me to click the Z axis move gimble.

At the end of the video I am able to JUST BARELY select the XY movement on the sphere.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  4. IllTemperedTunas

IllTemperedTunas

To give some contrast, here is the gimble in 3ds Max:

SO MUCH EASIER to select between the various axis and X,Y,Z or XY, ZY, ZX.

5. DiegoDePalacio

DiegoDePalacio

Unity Technologies

6. IllTemperedTunas

IllTemperedTunas

Hmm i'm not seeing a way to change the selection movement gizmos though...
    I appreciate you trying to help but this doesn't address the problem of the size of the movement gizmos being too big when you are parallel to their axis.