Search Unity

Energy Hook - 3d swinging and parkour in the vein of Spider-Man 2 - feedback please!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by JamieFristrom, Nov 17, 2012.

1. JamieFristrom

JamieFristrom

Hey all! Once upon a time I made Spider-Man 2, and now I'm making a trick/style sports game like SSX / PGR / Tony Hawk but with Spider-Man 2ish game mechanics.

Absolutely amazed at how easy Unity3d, SketchUp, and stock assets (mostly from Mixamo and the Google 3D warehouse) have made this. I heart Unity.

I'm going to launch a kickstarter in a few weeks and am looking for feedback, positive or negative, but mostly negative: so check out the video (http://youtu.be/LMrrIchUpAs) and tell me - why wouldn't you help fund this? What should I fix?

Thanks and take care!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
    J-WeB likes this.
  2. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Really dig the way your art style is going.
    Also this looks like a lot of fun!

I would just consider tweaking the character to look a little less like Faith from Mirror's Edge.

3. trooper

trooper

Video was worth watching :) Great demo!

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Interesting... but as KS first impressions count, that video is far from good enough. Fix up the camera, it loses the player when on walls, and speed up the animation a bit (was a bit of turbo walking going on) and consider water kickup trails if you swing close to water, just cos players like that.

Consider camera shakes and things for impactful landings and so on. There's a real lack of "presence" in the feel right now, which would be essential to this game's success in my view. The mechanics and the prototype have started things off nicely, now is the time to give it energy and polish before the KS. IMHO on the right track.

5. napster

napster

Video is showing your efforts, Keep it up !

6. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

One of this biggest things I noticed...when she is running on roof tops at times it appears as though she is sliding over the roof. I don't think the run animation and the actual movement of the character are synced up just yet. The other thing I noticed is losing the camera view sometimes..I guess a more springy or more reactive camera would be ideal. Love the rendering style of the world though...looks very Borderlands, which is awesome!

7. JamieFristrom

JamieFristrom

Thanks everybody for your feedback so far. All your complaints make sense. On it!

8. The Ghost

The Ghost

As a dev, awesome job so far.
    As a player, I would never fund it because of the looks, although I'm sure it'll start looking much better when the real art assets come in.

9. JamieFristrom

JamieFristrom

Thanks everybody, here's what I've done since:
    - rewrote the camera from scratch with tilt and shake
    - sync'd up animations
    - gave her some gear - hopefully she looks a little less like a Faith knock-off now
    - effects for her jets and boosting (oh, that's why she can jump so high!)

And Ghost said what I was hoping not to hear. The artist I'm going to work with, Paul Whitehead, is a total badass, but can't afford to help much until we have funding. But people might not fund it because of the current programmer art. Catch-22.

Ghost (and everyone) - do you dislike the art mostly because it's cartoony or mostly because it's clearly not done? Because we're going to go for a cartoony look, but intend to have more geometric detail and cleaner textures with much higher texel density.

If the former, bummer, but it's good you wouldn't fund it because it's not going to be what you want.
    If the latter, what do you recommend:
    * back off on the art - texture it all in orange-box or something, so it's crystal clear that the real art isn't in yet
    * keep working on the art, even though I'm not an artist. And, if you think I should keep working on the art, what do you think is the one most important thing to do to make it look better?

Thanks so much for your help everyone.

10. JamieFristrom

JamieFristrom

Thanks again for your help, everybody - I spent a long time responding to feedback and actually getting the game up to a playable demo state, and launched the Kickstarter, and it's doing awesome!

Check it out! Hope I have your vote, so to speak.

radiantboy likes this.
  11. radiantboy

radiantboy

You should sell the swinging mechanics on the store now the game is old etc :) Would love to buy that

12. mykyta-pasternatskyi

mykyta-pasternatskyi

I would love to buy too, because I am still guessing how to make character swing on the web

13. atemkengfolefac6

atemkengfolefac6

Do you have to buy?