Search Unity

Energy Bar Toolkit - 2D and 3D Progress Bars

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by genail, Mar 30, 2013.

1. genail

genail

Are you able to upgrade to Unity 2017.3.0? I have a version that fixes that one too, but the package is prepared for the newest version of Unity.

2. Gruguir

Gruguir

thanks but i'll just wait - i sent you a PM

3. SpyrosUn

SpyrosUn

Hi there, thank you for the great product, this is really helpful for my latest project :D

I am using Text Mesh Pro labels all around my project and I am wondering if these are supported by the sliders. It looks like the drag drop on the unity Editor requires the vanilla labels. Is there some way to customize ?

Thanks a lot and keep up the great work !

4. heartigan

heartigan

Hi there,

I have hit the `PropertySpecialResizeMode' does not exist in the current context error too, is there a way to fix this?
    Thanks and keep up the good work!

Heartigan

5. dFlynnSo

dFlynnSo

Hi,

using Unity 2017.3.1p2 - the ugui rendering is a bit strange, looks out of place.
    When will the new version be released?

greetz

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  6. rayfigs

rayfigs

using version 2017.3.1f1 and EBT version 4.0.1 and am also getting these errors:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets/Energy Bar Toolkit/Scripts/Editor/EnergyBarTransformRendererInspector.cs(126,13): error CS0103: The name `PropertySpecialResizeMode' does not exist in the current context
    2. Assets/Energy Bar Toolkit/Scripts/Editor/EnergyBarSequenceRendererInspector.cs(113,13): error CS0103: The name `PropertySpecialResizeMode' does not exist in the current context
    3. Assets/Energy Bar Toolkit/Scripts/Editor/EnergyBarRepeatRendererInspector.cs(93,13
    4. ): error CS0103: The name `PropertySpecialResizeMode' does not exist in the current context
    5. Assets/Energy Bar Toolkit/Scripts/Editor/EnergyBarRendererInspector.cs(140,13): error CS0103: The name `PropertySpecialResizeMode' does not exist in the current context

7. super-cypher

super-cypher

im also getting these errors please can you pm me the fix for latest version of unity 2017.3.1f1?

Energy Bar Toolkit/Scripts/Editor/EnergyBarRendererInspector.cs(140,13): error CS0103: The name `PropertySpecialResizeMode' does not exist in the current context

Assets/Energy Bar Toolkit/Scripts/Editor/EnergyBarRepeatRendererInspector.cs(93,13): error CS0103: The name `PropertySpecialResizeMode' does not exist in the current context

Assets/Energy Bar Toolkit/Scripts/Editor/EnergyBarSequenceRendererInspector.cs(113,13): error CS0103: The name `PropertySpecialResizeMode' does not exist in the current context

Assets/Energy Bar Toolkit/Scripts/Editor/EnergyBarTransformRendererInspector.cs(126,13): error CS0103: The name `PropertySpecialResizeMode' does not exist in the current context

8. genail

genail

Sorry guys for the delay. I will release the version this week.

@rayfigs @super-cypher Sending you a PM...

9. genail

genail

@super-cypher I cannot start a new conversation with you, please enable within your profile settings.

10. dFlynnSo

dFlynnSo

Thx for the Info

11. genail

genail

@rayfigs @super-cypher
    Hey, sorry for the confusion but fixed EBT version should be available for couple of months now. If you still have this issue, please make sure to remove Energy Bar Toolkit folder and re-import it again. I checked it against the newest Unity version.

12. boolean01

boolean01

Hi there

In Unity 2017.4.0f1 there seems to be a positioning bug for filled bars. Using the Example 1 scene in an otherwise empty project, adding a new filled bar creates the foreground sprite at the wrong position:

UnityEnergyBarBug.PNG

Strange huh? Seems to work fine in Unity 2017.3.1f1.

13. genail

genail

These API behavior changes are killing me...
    Thanks for the report, I'm looking into it!

14. Obsurveyor

Obsurveyor

Is it possible to create a repeated bar that wraps with uGUI? Think of the hearts example, but if you get enough hearts, you could have two rows of them instead of just one. Just checking to see if I can save myself the trouble of having to write something totally custom.

15. genail

genail

Hi!
    Sorry for late reply.

Unfortunately you can't do it out of the box, but it can be done programmatically. You can set up multiple instances in separate rows and then just set their fill values right.

Please let me know if you need my further assistance with that :)

Best,
    Piotr

16. TanselAltinel

TanselAltinel

Hey man, is there any update about this? I'm planning to upgrade the project to 2017.4.x for LTS and keep the project at that version indefinitely until release.

I know it's been hard on you too, because I've been upgrading the project since 5.4 to currently 2017.2.p3 and each upgrade, regardless of their advantages, had been a huge pain.

Currently there was an issue with the progress bars as they do not comply with transparent parts of the image but as a whole, where I had to calculate min/max values according to actual image / transparent useful parts ratio to provide same functionality, but after nearly 3 years of development I want to settle with a stable version of Unity.

Currently this is the only asset that keeps me from upgrading, but no pressure :)

17. genail

genail

Hi!
    Did some progress, but it's still broken in several places. I hope to get it done this weekend. Thank you for understanding! :) I will post an update here as soon as the new version will be released.

Best,
    Piotr

18. TanselAltinel

TanselAltinel

Well, this has been such a nice and helpful asset for my project, and I'm sure for many people feel the same. Worth every cent. Keep up to good work, and again, no pressure. I'm not releasing the game at this weekend :p

19. Abelius

Abelius

Hi there,

I've got these errors just importing the asset into my project...:

I see you're in the middle of trying to fix the plugin regarding some problems in newer versions of Unity, but I'm still using 5.5.3f1, so I was wondering if it would be possible that you could provide to me a way to download a previous version of EBT that doesn't throw these critical errors around.

I *just* want to add some simple bars, nothing major.

20. derkoi

derkoi

I'm seeing this issue also.

21. Abelius

Abelius

So, at the end I've needed to buy another plugin because you didn't even reply to a genuine support request in your official Unity plugin support thread.

If you don't give timely support and you're also trying to fix the thing (after recognizing it's not working properly) why the plugin is still listed in the Asset Store, man? Yours is not exactly the cheapest one in its category, you know...?

derkoi likes this.
  22. Obsurveyor

Obsurveyor

What did you go with? Unity 2017.3.1f1 and Energy Bar Toolkit serialization is broken when Projects go between Mac and PC(or maybe through version control), so I think I need to move on to something else too.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  23. Abelius

Abelius

Oh, I went for Health and Progress Bars Pro

It seems more simple. And to be honest, I expect Mad Pixel to fix EBT eventually, as the reason because I bought it was because it seemed superior to any other one out there.

But a plugin is as good as its support. And we don't even have a proper forum here, which is... significant to say the least. I should have known better... :-/

24. derkoi

derkoi

I'd switch myself but I use DoozyUI which only has support for Energy Bar Toolkit. Sure I suppose I could hack it to work but then I'd need to maintain my changes...

25. TakaakiIchijo

TakaakiIchijo

Hi Mad Pixel Machine team,

I've just using Energy bar toolkit for Nintendo Switch prototype, then I found two small fixes for EnergyBarSpawnerUGUI.cs.

Code (CSharp):
    1. #if !(UNITY_FLASH || UNITY_NACL || UNITY_METRO || UNITY_WP8 || UNITY_WEBGL)
    2.             if (networkInstantiate) {
    3.                 Network.Destroy(instance.gameObject);
    4.             } else {
    5.                 Destroy(instance.gameObject);
    6.             }
    7. #else
    8.                 Destroy(instance.gameObject);
    9. #endif
    fix to:

Code (CSharp):
    1. #if !(UNITY_FLASH || UNITY_NACL || UNITY_METRO || UNITY_WP8 || UNITY_WEBGL || UNITY_SWITCH)
    2.             if (networkInstantiate) {
    3.                 Network.Destroy(instance.gameObject);
    4.             } else {
    5.                 Destroy(instance.gameObject);
    6.             }
    7. #else
    8.                 Destroy(instance.gameObject);
    9. #endif
    and

Code (CSharp):
    1. #if !(UNITY_FLASH || UNITY_NACL || UNITY_METRO || UNITY_WP8 || UNITY_WEBGL)
    2.         if (networkInstantiate) {
    3.             bar = Network.Instantiate(barPrefab, barPrefab.transform.position, barPrefab.transform.rotation, networkGroup) as EnergyBarUGUIBase;
    4.         } else {
    5.             bar = Instantiate(barPrefab) as EnergyBarUGUIBase;
    6.         }
    7. #else
    8.         bar = Instantiate(barPrefab) as EnergyBarUGUIBase;
    9. #endif
    fix to:

Code (CSharp):
    1. #if !(UNITY_FLASH || UNITY_NACL || UNITY_METRO || UNITY_WP8 || UNITY_WEBGL || UNITY_SWITCH)
    2.         if (networkInstantiate) {
    3.             bar = Network.Instantiate(barPrefab, barPrefab.transform.position, barPrefab.transform.rotation, networkGroup) as EnergyBarUGUIBase;
    4.         } else {
    5.             bar = Instantiate(barPrefab) as EnergyBarUGUIBase;
    6.         }
    7. #else
    8.         bar = Instantiate(barPrefab) as EnergyBarUGUIBase;
    9. #endif
    After this it seems works in Switch, so please consider to add Switch platform define directives in next update.

Thanks.

hopeful likes this.
  26. genail

genail

Hey guys,
    I'm sorry but for some reason I did not receive any notification about any of above messages, and I haven't looked into this thread until now when somebody just asked me by mail if EBT is still supported. I believe the reason is if I won't click on a unity forums notification, I'm getting automatically unsubscribed until I actually do :/ Please remember that the most reliable support channel is by mail.

For anyone who is having issues:

1. If you're upgrading from previous EBT version, please make sure to remove and import Energy Bar Toolkit again. Usually it works!
    2. If you're seeting rendering issues, please make sure to upgrade Unity to the latest version available - it's an Unity bug.

@TakaakiIchijo Thank you for the fix man :)

27. Oshigawa

Oshigawa

Hello @genail

when can we expect support for Unity 2018? There's not too many problems and they're all related to UnityEngine.Network being obsolete

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  28. Kyle873

Kyle873

Yeah, running into those same compile errors as well in 2018.2. Slightly concerned considering the last version on the asset store seems to be from last September, but judging by reading through the thread it is still being worked on.

29. genail

genail

@Kruko @Kyle873 Sorry guys from the delay. I was planning to release a new version this weekend but the newest Unity version keeps crashing on me on my pc box. I should be able to work on it within the next few days. I will keep you posted!

30. genail

genail

Hi guys!
    The new version should be now available! Please let me know in case of any issues.

31. XCPU

XCPU

Looks like the 4.0.1 is still there, even though it says updated.
    just tried downloading the new one, even deleted my old one, but the one downloaded
    is 4.0.1 not 4.0.2. some kind of store mess up, or just slow?
    fyi.

32. genail

genail

Hmm, that's strange. The previous version is there for older Unity releases but for newer, it should be using 4.0.2. What Unity version are you using?

33. XCPU

XCPU

2018.1 ya, I did find it strange. anyways can't try again till next week anyways.

34. secondsight_

secondsight_

Hey there,
    On the verge of buying this package. I´m on Unity 2017.4
    Can someone please tell me if the current version on the asset store is working without any errors ?

Thanks !

35. Oshigawa

Oshigawa

Yes.

genail and secondsight_ like this.
  36. Oshigawa

Oshigawa

hey @genail

i just wanted to let you know there will be crashes when new unity comes out of beta

Code (CSharp):
    1. InvalidOperationException: Destroying a GameObject inside a Prefab instance is not allowed.
    2.   at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Object.DestroyImmediate(UnityEngine.Object,bool)
    3.   at UnityEngine.Object.DestroyImmediate (UnityEngine.Object obj) [0x00005] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime\Export\UnityEngineObject.bindings.cs:322
    4.   at EnergyBarToolkit.MadGameObject.SafeDestroy (UnityEngine.Object go) [0x00015] in <d03286a81c92466fa26b77053c76e252>:0
    5.   at EnergyBarToolkit.EnergyBarUGUIBase.RemoveCreatedChildren () [0x00069] in C:\Users\Kruko\Desktop\Desktop\Unity Backup\Prebacivanje na prefabe 4\Assets\Energy Bar Toolkit\Scripts\uGUI\EnergyBarUGUIBase.cs:221
    6.   at EnergyBarToolkit.RepeatedRendererUGUI.Rebuild () [0x00001] in C:\Users\Kruko\Desktop\Desktop\Unity Backup\Prebacivanje na prefabe 4\Assets\Energy Bar Toolkit\Scripts\uGUI\RepeatedRendererUGUI.cs:385
    7.   at EnergyBarToolkit.RepeatedRendererUGUI.UpdateRebuild () [0x0000c] in C:\Users\Kruko\Desktop\Desktop\Unity Backup\Prebacivanje na prefabe 4\Assets\Energy Bar Toolkit\Scripts\uGUI\RepeatedRendererUGUI.cs:351
    8.   at EnergyBarToolkit.RepeatedRendererUGUI.Update () [0x00008] in C:\Users\Kruko\Desktop\Desktop\Unity Backup\Prebacivanje na prefabe 4\Assets\Energy Bar Toolkit\Scripts\uGUI\RepeatedRendererUGUI.cs:168
    cheers

37. Oshigawa

Oshigawa

Hey @genail

any updates coming soon? I get this in 2018.3

Code (CSharp):
    1. InvalidOperationException: Destroying a GameObject inside a Prefab instance is not allowed.
    2. UnityEngine.Object.DestroyImmediate (UnityEngine.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/UnityEngineObject.bindings.cs:322)
    3. EnergyBarToolkit.MadGameObject.SafeDestroy (UnityEngine.Object go) (at <d03286a81c92466fa26b77053c76e252>:0)
    4. EnergyBarToolkit.EnergyBarUGUIBase.RemoveCreatedChildren () (at Assets/Energy Bar Toolkit/Scripts/uGUI/EnergyBarUGUIBase.cs:213)
    5. EnergyBarToolkit.RepeatedRendererUGUI.Rebuild () (at Assets/Energy Bar Toolkit/Scripts/uGUI/RepeatedRendererUGUI.cs:385)
    6. EnergyBarToolkit.RepeatedRendererUGUI.UpdateRebuild () (at Assets/Energy Bar Toolkit/Scripts/uGUI/RepeatedRendererUGUI.cs:351)
    7. EnergyBarToolkit.RepeatedRendererUGUI.Update () (at Assets/Energy Bar Toolkit/Scripts/uGUI/RepeatedRendererUGUI.cs:168)

38. genail

genail

Hey @Kruko,
    I will take care of it most probably this week. I'm sorry for the delay.

rrahim likes this.
  39. Oshigawa

Oshigawa

No problem, it's not a breaking error, everything works.

40. Oshigawa

Oshigawa

hi @genail

Any news on this one? It's not a breaking error but it doesn't allow to make a build :/

41. Freznosis

Freznosis

Since there is no word on a fix from the developer for Unity 2018.3, I've done it myself in the meantime. You will need to edit EnergyBarUGUIBase.cs for this fix.

MadGameObject.SafeDestroy is inaccessible for editing since it's compiled into the .dll, so we'll just need to override this ourselves until it's fixed.

Code (CSharp):
    1.         protected void SafeDestroy(UnityEngine.Object go)
    2.         {
    3. #if UNITY_EDITOR //Added for debug purposes, remove if you want.
    4.             print("Attempting to destroy " + go.name);
    5. #endif
    7.             if (Application.isPlaying)
    8.             {
    9.                 UnityEngine.Object.Destroy(go);
    10.             }
    11.             else
    12.             {
    13. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    14.                 if (UnityEditor.PrefabUtility.IsPartOfPrefabInstance(go))
    15.                     UnityEditor.PrefabUtility.UnpackPrefabInstance(UnityEditor.PrefabUtility.GetNearestPrefabInstanceRoot((go as GameObject)), UnityEditor.PrefabUnpackMode.Completely, UnityEditor.InteractionMode.AutomatedAction); //You can also use UnityEditor.InteractionMode.UserAction if you want to be prompted before unpacking. This will also allow you to undo the packing if there was a mistake.
    17.                 UnityEngine.Object.DestroyImmediate(go);
    18. #endif
    19.             }
    20.         }

Code (CSharp):
    1.         #region New Safe Destroy Method by CloudWeightStudios
    2.         /// <summary>
    3.         /// The method used for fixing the prefab.
    4.         /// </summary>
    5.         protected enum SafeDestroyMethod { UnpackAndDestroy, RevertDestroy }
    7.         /// <summary>
    8.         /// Change this at your will to either use the older method of unpacking, or the newer method of removing the added children.
    9.         /// </summary>
    10.         protected SafeDestroyMethod safeDestroyMethod = SafeDestroyMethod.RevertDestroy;
    12.         /// <summary>
    13.         /// Applies the changes to the prefab after destroying.
    14.         /// </summary>
    15.         protected bool applyAfterDestroy = true;
    17.         /// <summary>
    18.         /// Our new method for safely destroying added children.
    19.         /// </summary>
    20.         /// <param name="go">The GameObject to destroy.</param>
    21.         protected void SafeDestroy(UnityEngine.Object go)
    22.         {
    23. #if UNITY_EDITOR //Added for debug purposes, remove if you want.
    24.             print("Attempting to destroy " + go.name);
    25. #endif
    26.             if (Application.isPlaying)
    27.             {
    28.                 UnityEngine.Object.Destroy(go);
    29.             }
    30.             else
    31.             {
    32. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    33.                 var asGameObject = go as GameObject;
    35.                 switch (safeDestroyMethod)
    36.                 {
    37.                     case (SafeDestroyMethod.UnpackAndDestroy):
    38.                         if (UnityEditor.PrefabUtility.IsPartOfPrefabInstance(go))
    39.                             UnityEditor.PrefabUtility.UnpackPrefabInstance(UnityEditor.PrefabUtility.GetNearestPrefabInstanceRoot(asGameObject), UnityEditor.PrefabUnpackMode.Completely, UnityEditor.InteractionMode.AutomatedAction);
    40.                         break;
    42.                     case (SafeDestroyMethod.RevertDestroy):
    43.                         if (UnityEditor.PrefabUtility.IsPartOfPrefabInstance(go))
    44.                             UnityEditor.PrefabUtility.RevertAddedGameObject(asGameObject, UnityEditor.InteractionMode.AutomatedAction);
    45.                         break;
    46.                 }
    48.                 UnityEngine.Object.DestroyImmediate(go);
    50.                 if (applyAfterDestroy)
    51.                     UnityEditor.PrefabUtility.ApplyPrefabInstance(asGameObject, UnityEditor.InteractionMode.AutomatedAction);
    52. #endif
    53.             }
    54.         }
    55.         #endregion
    1. Place this SafeDestroy method right under RemoveCreatedChildren()
    2. Replace all calls for MadGameObject.SafeDestroy() with SafeDestroy()
    3. After successfully doing this and getting rid of the error, you must run your game, then exit it. And you will see your prefab isn't referencing the prefab root anymore. This is because you have saved the prefab with the generated children that needed to be deleted. Find your prefab in the game folder, delete it, and remake it by dragging the now cleaned prefab that's in your scene that isn't a prefab anymore.
    4. @Kruko ,In the future, try to make sure your prefab is never saving the generated children if there is an error, because you will then get memory leaks for generating so many children that aren't properly discarded.

I don't have a lot of experience with Unity 2018.3's new prefab workflow, but this has worked fine for me. I'm not a developer for this asset, please don't message me asking for support. Use that code at your own risk. I'm only sharing my code because the developer hasn't updated us on this.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    Oshigawa and hopeful like this.
  42. Obsurveyor

Obsurveyor

Thanks @CloudWeight I'll need this if I decide to update to 2018.

Freznosis likes this.
  43. Oshigawa

Oshigawa

@CloudWeight

Thanks for the solution, i'll definitely have to resort to it, i don't know what's hsppening with @genail

Also, thanks for the memory leak tip, much appreciated :)

44. Freznosis

Freznosis

No problem.

I updated the method on my original post to include both unpack types so you can choose one by changing the safeDestroyMethod. The "Old Method" is a lot easier to use but the "New Method" is a bit more flexible. Also added a small disclaimer since someone messaged me asking for support.

I don't have a lot of experience with Unity 2018.3's new prefab workflow, but this has worked fine for me. I'm not a developer for this asset, please don't message me asking for support. Use that code at your own risk. I'm only sharing my code because the developer hasn't updated us on this.

45. genail

genail

Sorry guys for the delay. I'm working on it and I will release the new version very soon.

46. genail

genail

Hey, just released a new version! I'm sorry that it took so long. I had to outsource it to a friend since there were more things to fix and I'm currently not up to date with the latest Unity changes.

Please let me know if there are any issues with the latest release!

47. Zittacheng

Zittacheng

Assets\Energy Bar Toolkit\Scripts\MadGameObjectDestroy.cs(33,1): error CS1022: Type or namespace definition, or end-of-file expected

I got this when I'm trying to build, in Unity 2018.3 :(

48. genail

genail

@Zittacheng Ouch! Please replace Energy Bar Toolkit/Script/MadGameObjectDestroy.cs with the file attached. I'm releasing the patch right now.

Attached Files:

49. FunkyBuddha

FunkyBuddha

@genail

Exactly, how do I fix this error when I import the asset?
    Energy Bar Toolkit-import warning.png

50. genail

genail

@FunkyBuddha It seems like some kind of conflict. Do you have two copies of Energy Bar Toolkit in your project by any chance? Please try removing it and importing it again.