Search Unity

Endless games vs level-based games

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Andrew203, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Andrew203

Andrew203

Im in the middle of planning my next mobile game but I dont really know if it should be based on beating levels like helix jump but with finite amount of levels or endless type of game like subway surfer. Personally I think that creating levels makes games more diverse and less boring. Though there are people who play subway surfer since 2012. I also thought about making helix jump like infinite number of levels with increasing diffculty but in my case it would need a massive amount of work. What do you think ? In which case players spent more time on game and what is your expierience with them.

2. dpcco

dpcco

both of them. :)

3. If you want to put in some story, you definitely need separate levels. Endless running and story usually don't mix well, since the interruption is arbitrary. Also, in endless level it's hard to build arches in game play, since you don't have really any reference points. Your player can exit any time, they can give up for the moment at any time. With levels, you usually know when the interruption will come, you can treat levels as one piece of content, one "story".
    Players _usually_ will put down your game between levels so you can calculate with it.

I don't think being endless or having levels would determinate if the game is good or interesting. Although myself isn't the biggest fan of the mobile games, so personally I don't have that much experience (other than a couple of dozens of games over the years).

4. Billy4184

Billy4184

Do you like crafting something until it's just right, or do you like coming up with formulas? Creating levels, most of the time, ends up with far better results but the amount of work, and the work cost of modification to some underlying system is very high.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

If you want to dynamically create levels you may need some algorithms experience. There's a really great blog about dynamic dungeon creation out there...