Search Unity

Encryption and securing project for distribution

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by etomp10291, May 7, 2010.

1. etomp10291

etomp10291

Hey guys,

Didn't see proper forum for this post so...

I am curious about how to secure a pc game before distributing. Is there software you can buy to encrypt and to add serial numbers, etc? I am a little unsure how to handle this stuff. When unity compiles a final project, can game files be extracted from the created folders?

Thanks for any input...

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

Working protection does not exist.

Assets need to be protected through law
    Licenses / piracy through being more attractive or absurd DRM like the perma online DRM from EA and Ubisoft

:)

3. etomp10291

etomp10291

I see, thanks...

4. Dreamora

Dreamora

I should have mentioned: basic protection is up to a given point possible through 3rd party technology thats normal in the field of portals and indie devs

but someone who has some knowledge and some experience will get the stuff out. Especially textures and sound are trivial basically as they need to be passed to devices through specific pipelines and there are tools to check the content there for debugging purpose and alike which basically allows them to grab the content

5. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Just to be clear, you can extract the game files from any commercial game. Many of them are even more open than Unity games, where they have graphics stored as plain .png or .jpg files and sound as .wav files. At least with Unity, the assets are compiled into their own format so it takes a little more work.

--Eric