Search Unity

Question Encountered problem while doing Ruby's Adventures 2D Tutorial

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Fruchu, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Fruchu

Fruchu

Hi, couple days ago I started learning Unity and currently I'm doing the Ruby's Adventure 2D Begginer tutorial while I stumbled onto this problem.

In World Design - Tilemaps part tutorial tells me to:

1. In the Project window, go to Assets > Art.
    2. Right-click within the folder and select Create > Folder. Call your new folder “Tiles”.
    3. Double-click Tiles to open the folder.
    4. Right-click within the folder and select Create > Tile. In the dialog box, call this Tile “FirstTile” and save it.
    Although when I want to do that there is no tile element available on the list to select.
    Here's how it looks on my end:

I'm using latest version of Unity 2020.3.1f1 could that be the problem ?

2. vendaar

vendaar

sharpree89 likes this.
  3. Fruchu

Fruchu

Thanks man. It's weird that this tutorial says it's been updated in March 2021 yet they use instructions from earlier version of the editor regarding adding working with Tiles. I guess I will report that in feedback at the end.

Tweakabell likes this.
  4. Ahhhrealxombies

Ahhhrealxombies

noticed the same thing Fruchu

5. wonznzeros

wonznzeros

so whats the work around im still confused with the same issue lol

6. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

I started this one last night, using the 2019 version.

Managed the first page of the tutorial just fine, and then the bloomin' script didn't work.

7. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Please define "didn't work". You know how to post here using code tags and describing the issue, you've helped others similarly!

8. halfevil666

halfevil666

9. Zaerick

Zaerick

This is a very late reply but I have said this before on this project. When opening it up through the unity hub and downloading it through unity hub. It auto defaults it to a 3d project not a 2d project. This makes it so the tile set does not show as well as a few other things that I can not remember.

10. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

This is your first post on this thread, my reply was directed to Rich. Sorry for the confusion.

11. JTylerLi

JTylerLi

Yeah its really frustrating the sheer volume of tutorials that are currently operating on out of date versions that are no longer even remotely relevant. even after a literal hour of searching I've got no solution to this problem, and feel like I've wasted multiple hours on this.

12. dweimer

dweimer

The answer by mtoman in the link from above: https://answers.unity.com/questions/1663878/assets-create-tile-missing.html worked for me with unity 2020.3.26f1 .

13. Zaerick

Zaerick

Apologies it was my end that was confusing. I had posted on multiple threads the issue with Rubys Adventure 2D tutorial. I advise you guys to on a new PC with a new user download the Unity App, then download everything from the app and try and complete the tutorial. It needs updating on either the download end or the steps end. Sorry for late response end of year has been hectic.