Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Enabling emission

Discussion in '5.3 Beta' started by mihakinova, Oct 27, 2015.

1. mihakinova

mihakinova

This may have a very simple solution but here it goes...

In Unity 5.2 you could enable and disable the ps emmision by doing:

Code (CSharp):
    1. ps.enableEmission = true;
    2. ps.enableEmission = false;

Now, in 5.3 this is deprecated, and we have ps.emission.enable. However, since it's a struct property you cant directly set the "enable" so you would have to do:

Code (CSharp):
    1. ParticleSystem.EmissionModule em = ps.emission;
    2. em.enabled = true;
    3. ps.emission = em;
    However, since the "emission" has a private setter, there is no way to set or get it.

Am I missing something or is there no way to enable or disable the emission?

NordicMothCEO and Deleted User like this.
  2. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Hi,

You don't need line #3, but otherwise your new code is correct and should work.
    We don't like that users must cache 'em' in a separate variable first, but we haven't found a solution to that yet.

3. mihakinova

mihakinova

That did the trick, thank you!

But this same method does not work with, say, transform.position, I still have to re-set it to the cached variable. Is there a reason for this?

4. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Not really a good one.. basically, we tried to expose the particle API in a way that caused no GC usage, and this is the end result. Hopefully we can improve the syntax in a future version - I'd really like to just say 'ps.emission.enabled = true;' without caching the other variable.

KUFgoddess, Orrib, domkia and 4 others like this.