Search Unity

Enabling cardboard or Daydream cause BLE to stop working on Android

Discussion in 'Daydream' started by Skywolf829, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Skywolf829

Skywolf829

Hi all,

I am using a plugin from the Asset store that has BLE functionality for both iOS and Android. Using its examples, I've made my own scene and successfully connected to a BLE module on an Arduino I'm using to retrieve sensor data. The app is built to my Pixel 2.

However, one I import the GoogleVR SDK and enable either Cardboard or Daydream in the supported XR SDKs, the bluetooth connectivity no longer works.

I thought this might be an issue with the AndroidManifest.xml and permissions, so I added
    <meta-data android:name="unityplayer.SkipPermissionsDialog" android:value="false"/>

so that the app is asking for coarse location(required for BLE on Orea).

Other permissions being asked for are:
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.BLUETOOTH_ADMIN"/>
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.BLUETOOTH"/>
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION"/>

Anyone have an idea why adding the Cardboard support would break previously working BLE connectivity?

Thanks so much,
    Skylar

2. FenBoy

FenBoy

I am trying to develop a Daydream app using the Bluetooth Le asset produced by Shatalmic. I am having similar problems. I've tried modifying the AndroidManifest.xml. But I can't get a manifest that enables the ble features without my phone deciding it is no longer a daydream app.

3. rrrus

rrrus

Official Google Employee

Could you send me an apk of an empty Cardboard scene so I can take a look at the final generated AndroidManifest.xml? Or you could install apktool and dump the manifest from your broken apk and send just that.