Search Unity

Enabling / Adding Animator component and Playing a State Instantly. NO WAY!

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Guirao, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Guirao

Guirao

So apparently Unity decided to mess up and delete the old way of animating things via the Animation component. Now If I want to for instance animate the camera position it creates an animator controller for me and adds the animation.

And this is horrible, It forces to be in a state at all time. So, what If I wanted to Play some animation and then stop it and do some transforms via script? Well that's what I want to do. I've ended up destroying/enabling the Animator component, and when I want to control the object via script add it again, then play my animation.

The problem, when I add the Animator component (or doing .enabled = true), I want to instantly Play an animation, however, it takes two frames to do it. That means there a frame where the positions and everything is messed up.

Good job Unity.

2. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

The Animator is added by default, but you can still animate the old way, just get rid of the Animator and replace it with Animation.

I too have noticed that calling animator.Play is not instant, (called from Update not LateUpdate).