Search Unity

Feedback Enable dark mode in personal edition

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Casper-Chimp, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Casper-Chimp

Casper-Chimp

Since the previous post on the feedback site had more than 13k votes and I couldn't find a post on the forum I decided to create this thread to continue the discussion.

Allot of people prefer to use a dark theme in their IDE to prevent eye strain and some people even have medical conditions like photophobia that make it physically uncomfortable/unable for them to use light themes.

There is even a project to add different themes to the editor in the personal edition that got the okay from the Editor Team lead.

And since this advice from the support section on November 20, 2018 is no longer applicable.

"I can assure you this topic isn't ignored and it isn't pointless to make your thoughts unknown on the feedback page. In fact, the more you vote for it there, The likelihood if it being imprementented will be far greater despite there already being many votes so far. This is the whole reason we give our users the option of voting weekly."

"I know this is a bit of a pain to vote for it every week but I must ask you keep going as this is the only way your opinion will be heard."

I'm letting my opinion be known in the new suggested way.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    Volcano339, akathdrake and phobos2077 like this.
  2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I'm sure Unity is well aware that Unity Personal users would all like the last remaining paid features for free.

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  3. joshcamas

joshcamas

Unity knows very well that some people essentially cannot use unity. I'm sure adding dark theme would result in less income than having this small minority be able to use the software. From a business perspective, there is no reason for them to add dark mode to the free version.

Unity is a business after all, they need to keep the lights on somehow.

realPrunelle likes this.
  4. Of course all of the actual researches say that the light on dark is worse for the eye in every occasion except one: when you're sitting in the dark room staring at your monitor. Which is VERY unhealthy and sane people don't do it.
    In other words: this whole eye-strain and photo-phobia thing are a giant BS.

You can ask for the dark theme, no problem with that, but at least use credible reasons for it: you don't want to pay and because you personally like it more than the dark on light. Or because you're snob and don't want other people know that you're using personal edition. But please, do not use the medical reasons nonsense. It's actually harmful because people like you are getting their "facts" from the internet, form people like you instead of the credible sources like actual research.

BTW, Unity please, end this and just give the dark theme for these people.

(I suspect it will come 2019.4 or 2020.1 since the new UI will allow this change)

5. Ng0ns

Ng0ns

Unitys about as free as your first snort of cocaine :D Don't think about it, we'll talk later.

Could just darken the screen, guy at my work does this due to an eye problem.That said, I don't think it would cause a loss in revenue. Lots of people hate the light theme but won't shell out just for the feature alone(myself included).

phobos2077 likes this.
  6. Deleted User

Deleted User

Maybe the first place that should have a dark theme would be the forums? They are far more an eye sore than the editor... :D

This said, since we already know that UT will not allow the dark theme for the personal edition, maybe we could ask for a compromise: the personal theme could be darker but not as dark as the paid one?

7. Ng0ns

Ng0ns

Or, they could make the free version pink and force people to sub in order to get rid of it? :D

#hostagebythepink

8. Unity is a tool, not a painting, it should not be the first consideration if it looks good (maybe third or fourth). And it is highly personal, I own a Plus subscription, my editor runs on light theme because I don't want to hurt my eyes and I need enough screen time without eye-strain to actually accomplish things. Although I need to add, my Visual Studio and other applications are set to light themes as well.

The important thing is: do not sit in the dark in the front of your screen and set the f...ing brightness properly. Unity's gray is actually a little bit darker than it should be, the light new theme would be ideal.

9. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

the new theme will be even darker

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  10. xGeorgeV

xGeorgeV

I'm using Unity Pro with Light theme. It's better for me.

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  11. joshcamas

joshcamas

The new light theme seems to be more white

12. Yes, the new dark theme is closer to the Substance-family, where the theme generally was inspired from, I believe, and the new light theme is more light in order to increase contrast so ease on the eye, which is best for this purpose (very light, but not white and very dark text in general).

13. tretola

tretola

I can't fathom why this seems to be a controversial issue in 2019. This is a problem that this software shouldn't have.

bdb400 and phobos2077 like this.
  14. mentalgear

mentalgear

Please enable dark mode on any unity version to align with Apple's Design Guidelines. Very disapointed such a simple theme is considered a "pro feature".

phobos2077, ina, gillemp and 2 others like this.
  15. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Roger-W and Casper-Chimp like this.
  16. mentalgear

mentalgear

Dark Mode is really an Accessibility Feature, and as such should be made available for all users.

phobos2077, ina, marianomdq and 2 others like this.