Search Unity

Bug Empty error in console

Discussion in 'Linux' started by wilson271117, Dec 17, 2017.

1. wilson271117

wilson271117

Hi guys,

I recently installed Unity Linux 2017.3.0f1 and when I added a new C# script I get an empty error in the console. I won't be able to run it in Unity as it will show an error (refer to attached image). Non of the solution offered in the forum work, .e.g., changing the locale to english US.

I'm able to use both MonoDevelop and VS code with all updates from the best I can get from the internet.

I'm running Debian 9. When people say fresh install, what does that entail? rm -r <folder> ?

Attached Files:

BenAtWork likes this.
  2. Deleted User

Deleted User

While you wait for the bug to be fixed, try double clicking on the empty error message in the console. Doing this should open MonoDevelop or VS on the line that contains the error. Once you've spotted the error, you should be able to fix it and use the script. ;)

BenAtWork likes this.
  3. wilson271117

wilson271117

I tried double clicking on it. Nothing happens. If I remove all scripts, the empty console error goes away.

The error exist by simply:
    1. Start a new project (either 3D or 2D, tried both)
    2. Create a new C# script with any legit name
    3. Empty console error appears
    4. Been troubleshooting for days now
    5. Guess I have to fork out for a Windows laptop. Current system is >5 years old (hence running linux).

4. 2dgame

2dgame

I have the same issue. Create new project. Create a script. Empty Error message in console that can't be cleared.
    Linux Mint 18.3 with Unity 2017.3

leshchenkoruua likes this.
  5. danz_the_deadly

danz_the_deadly

Hi, I have this as well.

I am using Linux Mint 18.3 and latest unity3d release.
    Unity works fine until I start using scripts.
    There is always empty error that can't be removed. I tried checking for mistakes in script, then just create a new script.
    Also I've tried downloaded monodevelop, sublime text 3 as script editor.
    Every time it is the same: the script does not compile with empty error.
    Example project does not work as well.

It also says "No MonoBehaviour scripts in the file..." etc, despite the file being just created.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  6. danz_the_deadly

danz_the_deadly

It may sound very stupid, but the problem disappeared when I installed mono-complete package.
    Probably unity's internal compiler doesn't work or smth.

Marcos-Elias, ilmario and metalbound like this.
  7. metalbound

metalbound

Greetings everybody. I have to say that i experience exactly the same problem as the user @danz_the_deadly (and all other above him). I get empty compiler errors already when creating a default script file with unity. I am currently working on a unity course where also all the projects coming from the previous version do not compile and run.
    Could this be related to a missing MonoDevelop install? I am currently using vim as a simple code editor. Do i need to point unity to a C# compiler or is it usually bundled with it?

8. Darkowic

Darkowic

wenderRondonia likes this.
  9. unity_YALXb_cuBIkeRg

unity_YALXb_cuBIkeRg

Hello friends...!!
    We could solve the problem by running the following command in the terminal:
    $ sudo apt-get install monodevelop mono-reference-assemblies-*
    which will install all the required dependencies to run Unity3d properly...in Linux Mint 18.3 KDE
    I did it last night...!! and it works for my system...
    for more information visit:
    https://medium.com/@felladrin/installing-and-running-unity3d-on-linux-mint-e9aa76a11d63

Enjoy...!!!

10. neonbulbs80

neonbulbs80

Hi everyone!

I've had the same issues. However I'm running it under Fedora 27. Installing mono-complete and referenceassemblies-pcl did not work as well. Have anyone here ever properly run Unity 2017 on Fedora 27? It would be great to share the workaround for this issue.

Here is my full log :

11. wenderRondonia

wenderRondonia

12. closethedamndooralready

closethedamndooralready

I was wrestling with the same issue half day. If you installed your build from the new Download Assistant definitely make sure you have necessary dependencies.

13. leshchenkoruua

leshchenkoruua

wenderRondonia likes this.
  14. DagasonHackason

DagasonHackason

have the same problem but am running windows... if it was linux i could have just installed the dependencies any help?

LGW_The7thCrest likes this.
  15. deistali

deistali

Same problem But On Windows Please Solve This One

16. Ladis_Codi

Ladis_Codi

I have the same error in Windows too :-(

17. Ducat

Ducat

Hey guys. I have the same problem in Windows.
    And i figured out - this have some kind of connection with chosen C# version.
    I have this problem with 4.x version, while 3,5.x - ok
    Go to BuildSettings/ProjectSettings/OtherSettings/ScriptingRuntimeVersion and change it
    Hope this'll help

raynotes and hitechnt like this.
  18. undefined666

undefined666

Could you specify where these folders are?I searched whole hdd with mask ScriptingRuntimeVersion - no luck

19. Deleted User

Deleted User

Build Settings, in editor, the build settings you choose when you want to... build your game; it's not a folder. :)

20. undefined666

undefined666

Thanks found it.Indeed the problem goes away with 3.5.But what if my project relies on 4.x features?

21. andreim44

andreim44

Hi, I found a solution to this bug on windows that does not require downgrading to .Net 3.5 (which appears to be deprecated now).
    I don't know the exact component, but installing the entire Microsfot .NET desktop development suite seems to have fixed the issue. If someone wants to narrow down the component that would be nice, but what I can vouch for is installing the entire package, and then you can safely use .NET 4.x without the empty errors.

TitanX603 likes this.
  22. undefined666

undefined666

fixed this by upgrading to win10 from win7.
    Installing latest windows updates also may fix the issue.

omarabuelkassem likes this.
  23. amir0345

amir0345

same problem on window 7

Harinezumi likes this.
  24. Harinezumi

Harinezumi

Sorry, but that is not a solution. Windows 7 is officially still supported by Unity, so there should be no errors.

Any other way to solve this issue?

25. hitechnt

hitechnt

Thank you! This working!

raynotes likes this.
  26. TitanX603

TitanX603

Thank its work

27. undefined666

undefined666

Yes I know.For some reason my Win7 was unable to update and the were about 200+ windows updates to be installed.Some of these updates I believe were .Net-related.
    So the solution may be "check you have all OS updates installed"

omarabuelkassem likes this.
  28. roroco

roroco

see https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-on-linux-release-notes-and-known-issues.350256/
    I fix this bug with above link > "Dependencies and Recommended Packages", install all dependencies
    this is my ruby script:
    ```
    deps = %w(gconf-service lib32gcc1 lib32stdc++6 libasound2 libc6 libc6-i386 libcairo2 libcap2 libcups2 libdbus-1-3 libexpat1 libfontconfig1 libfreetype6 libgcc1 libgconf-2-4 libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1 libglib2.0-0 libglu1-mesa libglu1 libgtk2.0-0 libnspr4 libnss3 libpango1.0-0 libstdc++6 libx11-6 libxcomposite1 libxcursor1 libxdamage1 libxext6 libxfixes3 libxi6 libxrandr2 libxrender1 libxtst6 zlib1g debconf npm)

system %Q(sudo apt install #{deps.join(" ")} -y)
    ```

29. Armynator

Armynator

I had the same problem with 5 completely blank errors in the console on Kubuntu 19.04. I could find the actual errors in the Editor.log file, indicating that libssl was missing. So I installed libssl1.0.0 manually and all errors were gone.

So if you are having such issues as well... try checking out the Editor.log file. It probably tells you what's wrong :)

30. denis-andreevich

denis-andreevich

I confirm the existence of the problem. Works in Ubuntu 18.04 not working in Ubuntu 19.04. Displays 5 empty fields with errors when creating or opening a previous project.

31. ETPOF

ETPOF

Also experiencing this error in 16.04 (will be upgrading soon) on a new project. I have all the dependencies for Unity and MonoDevelop. When I change ScriptingRuntimeVersion to NET 3.5, I get about 60 new errors all along the lines of:

New Unity Project/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.textmeshpro@2.0.0/Scripts/Runtime/TMPro_UGUI_
    Private.cs(1089,59): error CS1644: Feature `out variable declaration' cannot be used because it
    is not part of the C# 4.0 language specification

So I'm sort of stuck since I can't use 3.5 or 4.x.

32. mosaic_school

mosaic_school

THX!

Had the same problem on a fresh Ubuntu 19.04 install. It worked perfectly on another machine which was upgraded to 19.04 and had libssl-1.0 still installed. As a workaround installing the 18.10 / cosmic package works ( https://packages.ubuntu.com/cosmic-updates/amd64/libssl1.0.0/download ) but Unity needs to fix it eventually.

P.S. the issue only seems to be present in 2019.1 and 2019.2. 2018.4 worked fine without the fix.

33. ETPOF

ETPOF

Turns out I also had the same issue with different libraries. After upgrading to 18.04 earlier, I ran Unity and checked my Editor.log (thanks for the reminder lol). Apparently, libunwind.so.8 was missing so I ran
    sudo apt-get install -y libunwind-dev
    and that fixed it!

mcyf97ujbt8v likes this.
  34. mythical_downs

mythical_downs

It looks like this has been fixed in 2019.3: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/linux-roslyn-fails-if-there-is-a-newer-libssl-than-1-dot-0. It's due to Ubuntu 19.04 coming with a version of libssl that Roslyn can't detect. Installing libssl-1.0 from cosmic-updates (alongside 1.1) as mentioned above is a valid workaround until you can upgrade.

PixelJ and Eyap like this.
  35. AlfieBooth

AlfieBooth

36. Helious73

Helious73

not working for me:(

37. mcyf97ujbt8v

mcyf97ujbt8v

Thank you! This helped fix my issue.
    Running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS with Unity 2019.1.14f1

denis-andreevich likes this.
  38. ArnoldoSilva

ArnoldoSilva

39. Eypidemik

Eypidemik

hello. what did you install? can you provide me a link please?

40. Zinge

Zinge

41. louis030195

louis030195

If you struggle like me with errors to install libssl1.0.0 try
    sudo apt --fix-broken install

It fixed my libssl !

42. ppavacic

ppavacic

If you are running fedora install monodevel, mono-tools, mono-tools-devel packages (sudo dnf install).
    I might have forgot one or two dependencies, but all of them start with mono

43. omarabuelkassem

omarabuelkassem

i had this error on win7, i used windows update and installed all the available updates and it fixed it. not sure which update solved it tho, there were so many updates

44. AnyQ

AnyQ

For me this same problem occurred in windows 7 but it appears twice, is it because the DDI version is 10 and the directx version is 11?
    upload_2021-9-25_13-56-8.png

upload_2021-9-25_13-56-8.png Screenshot_2.png

45. devnandan4

devnandan4

46. unity_udYPCQcGOowxLg

unity_udYPCQcGOowxLg

Short:
    I solved it on Linux by exporting a variable:
    export DOTNET_SYSTEM_GLOBALIZATION_INVARIANT=1

I added this line to my
     .profile 
    so that it will work when I log in.

I also installed
    dotnet-sdk
    but I don't know if not doing it would have affected the result.

Long:

I am using Arch Linux.
    I installed Unity Hub from AUR.
    And I installed editor version 2020.3.33f1.

I created a new 3d project and when in
    Load Scripting assemblies
    I got the following popup error:

Enter Safe Mode?

The project you are opening contains compilation errors.

Entering Safe Mode allows you to resolve these errors without waiting for the rest of your project to import.

If you select Ignore ( not recommended), your project will continue to import, but it may be in a broken or unusable state.

I chose the ignore option.
    When it opened I had two empty errors in the console.

After some research I went to:
    Unity/Hub/Editor/2020.3.33f1/Editor/Data/Tools/Roslyn

And ran:
    ./csc

I got this error:

Process terminated. Couldn't find a valid ICU package installed on the system. Set the configuration flag System.Globalization.Invariant to true if you want to run with no globalization support.
    at System.Environment.FailFast(System.String)
    at System.Globalization.GlobalizationMode.GetGlobalizationInvariantMode()
    at System.Globalization.GlobalizationMode..cctor()

So I researched more and found the solution:

export DOTNET_SYSTEM_GLOBALIZATION_INVARIANT=1

And I added this line to my .profile.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
  47. Dadrophenia

Dadrophenia

This fixed it for me on Gentoo, I was running into this error when upgrading my project from Unity 2019 to 2020.

ov1diu likes this.
  48. zakaprov

zakaprov

I encountered this issue on openSUSE Tumbleweed after one of the rolling updates, therefore I imagine it might happen on other rolling distros as well (e.g. Arch Linux).
    I'm using Unity version 2020.3.34f1.

Setting the dotnet globalization variable did not help (or at least I couldn't get it to work properly).
    In the end I figured out this had to do with the libicu package version (which dotnet uses for globalization on Linux).

After the last rolling update my installed version of libicu is 71 (you can check this by running zypper se libicu, you should see an "i" next to one of the packages - this indicates which ones are installed, in my case it was libicu71).
    The problem in Unity was resolved once I installed an older version alongside the most recent one. On openSUSE I used opi to install version 69 (the command is opi libicu69, then just pick the entry which says libicu69).

49. Cerberus1746

Cerberus1746

This worked in my Manjaro system!

ov1diu likes this.
  50. siddhiraj

siddhiraj

Have you solve Problem bro . Then please help me to solve this problem . how to solve this problem please tell me bro.
    Thanks in advance.