Search Unity

Question Emissive Lighting not working.

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by Durghan, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Durghan

Durghan

Hey all. So I'm setting up this room where I have a TV screen on one end that I want to have emitting the typical blue flickering light while having the black and white static animated. I have a 9 image sequence of static to use but I can't figure out how to get that to work in Unity (it's easy in Blender. Yes, I know they're different). But even with a single frame as the texture, I can either get the texture, or the glowing light, but not both.

Additionally, I have these light beams that I set up to move slowly from end of the room to the other. I would like them to not only be casting light, but also be reflected in the black surfaces. I've been going through lighting tutorials and posting on Discord and other places, and yes, even Googling (though I'm sure I'm not using correct terminology that would actually help me find an answer) but so far I'm not finding any solutions.

Any help here would be great! Thank you.

Oh, also I'm working in HDRP, 2020.3.3f1 if that helps at all.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  2. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

For your first question, it seems like it's a problem of fixed exposure, you can't expect having a dark room with a very bright emissive object and both (room detail and bright object) to be exposed correctly. There's no perfect solution but there's different exposure mode you can try and experiment that can help adjust exposure depending on what's on the screen.

For your second question, I think the confusion comes from the fact that you are expecting emissive material to be a light source. The light source will contribute to direct lighting, the emissive won't.

If you want them to "cast light" and be included in the specular reflection of metallic objects "out of the box" you need to use actual light source instead like for example real-time rectangular shaped or tube shaped area light.

If you need to keep the cylinders with emissive materials, you are going to need other techniques.
    For indirect specular reflections, you can either have Reflection Probes setup, Planar Reflection Probe, Screen Space Reflections or Ray Traced Reflections.
    For indirect diffuse light contribution, you can you can use Screen Space Global Illumination or Ray Traced Global Illumination for your emissive to actually contribute to the lighting of the scene.

upload_2021-8-18_12-28-7.png

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
    pierred_unity likes this.