Search Unity

Emission and lights disappear in fog

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Drown, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Drown

Drown

Hey guys!

This is the first time I post in these forums, so excuse me if I chose the wrong section !

To my problem :

I am working on a night level that is very dependant on fog. I am using Unity 2017.2 and work with the fog from the ligthing settings. The emissive objectsand lights appear exactly when I intend them to, but the emission and lighting happens a significant amount later, making my scene look really strange and unresponsive.

Here is an imgur link to an album explaining my problem in 4 steps. Ill attach the pictures to this post anyways.

https://imgur.com/a/O6urq

1. Fog settings:

These are my fog settings. The error warning confuses me, but it works so I guess that is alright. I tried an image effect fog from the "Camera Filter Pack" I purchased, it looks and behaves the same.

2. Scene look:

This is my scene - it is basically a forest with some ferns and trees - and a directional light acting as a moon. There is heavy color correction going on to transfrom it into a night scene while keeping all the shadows and specular details.

3. Emission set at 2 (HDR cam) viewed from small-medium distance:

this is part of a tube system I modeled and textured. It used an emissive map. This is viewed from small/medium range, take the trees as reference. There is no emission at all.

3. Emission set at 2 (HDR cam) viewed from close up distance (trees as reference):

One mouswheel scroll and boom, the emission (it is set to 2 HDR) kicks in. Is there a way to get this transition smoother ? It literally pops up last second :(.

Here is another example with 2 warning signs I made, same problem:

Is there any way to change this behaviour ? I found some posts about editing nofog into the standard shaders pragma, but no matter where I put it it didnt work (I know nothing about shader programming).

I tried rendering the signs on a different camera but that made the glowing objects stick out in a very ugly way. I am searching for a earlier fade in without losing the wall of fog I need for atmosphere and gameplay reasons.

Anyone has an idea ? I am very frustrated and would appreciate anything from a solution to a blind shot in a different direction.

best regards
    Alex

Max-Bot likes this.
  2. eduard1

eduard1

Hey, i know it was way to time ago but you could solve the problem? I think im having your inverse issue coz i want that ligths dissapear while ur moving away. Thanks in advance