Search Unity

''Embed Media'' option and unity asset store

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by X_Molecule, Oct 8, 2014.

1. X_Molecule

X_Molecule

I'm trying to finish up my model that I'd like to submit to the asset store, but i'm having problems. From my previous experience, I found that the package cannot be submitted if the ''embed media'' option is turned on when converting the .fbx file. If the option is disabled, I have to manually import textures and assign them to materials. Now, I do this, I put my model into the scene, and I assign the materials to different objects in the scene. But in the project panel, the model does not have any textures assigned, and it would be the same if I submitted the model to the store. I'm not very skilled with unity, and I believe the problem here is quite simple. So can someone please tell me how can I assign the materials to the model in the project panel, before I drop them into the scene?

Thank you for responses.

2. twiesner

twiesner

Have the textures saved inside you unity project folder. In your 3d program re-path the textures to read the ones from the the unity project. When you export export your fbx into the unity project and when the models are re-imported into unity they should automatically load materials with the textures attached. There is a material FAQ you can look at.
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/material-texture-faq.244786/

Depending on how you name your texture I do have beta unity 3d bitmap linker script on my website. Link is in my signature. I usually name my texture by the assetname_map extenstion (_diffuse) so essentially for me when texture linkes get broken in Unity I just launch my editor script, click the model and press link.

For example a selected mesh with the name "box" has a texture named box_Diffuse.tga that needs to be attached. I press the link button in the editor window and the texture gets linked automatically to the model named box.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014