Search Unity

Elementary OS: Editor layout is broken.

Discussion in 'Linux' started by byme, Feb 6, 2020.

1. byme

byme

When I am starting Unity editor in Elementary OS the editor layou is going nuts after each click. The top panel just disappear:

upload_2020-2-6_22-57-29.png
    upload_2020-2-6_22-58-16.png

You can check it on attached video .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  2. byme

byme

I managed to find what is causing the issue. It is GTK option GTK_CSD. Elementary uses GTK_CSD=1. Ubuntu uses GTK_CSD=0.I tried to set GTK_CSD=0 inside Elementary OS and it fixes Unity editor layout, but breaks other Elementary apps.

3. senkal_

senkal_

@byme
    I am happy you were able to fix your issue but I changed my way of working with Unity and I suggest you could think about doing the same.
    I switched from other distro to Ubuntu so bugs reported by me will be checked.
    If you think about using Unity professionally, I would suggest to
    1. Have backup Windows/Mac machine/installation
    2. Use only what is supported by Unity in terms of Linux
    As much as I would like for Unity to work "fine" in most popular distros it won't happen.

Why it's so tough to support many distros?
    Yours example shows it best.
    How many settings like that are configured differently in popular distributions, how many other bugs can happen?
    10, 100, more?

As a user, I would love for every major distribution to be supported.
    As a somebody who runs business, first thing I would do is limit systems to 1-2 most supported and popular. Especially when Linux customers is maybe few percent of the market.

That's why, for example, when I develop my game I focus first where my customers are, and later, once I have time and resources, work on less popular options. I have bills to pay, that's my only excuse.

I am really happy that Unity works in general on more systems, but knowing the reality, I am happy that they only fix bugs in 1-2 most popular Linux distributions. I can at least believe(maybe I am naive here) that important bugs won't be postponed because a lot of time is being spent on fixing distribution specific bugs.

4. andrews_unity

andrews_unity

Unity Technologies

Well we don't support ElementryOS for the Editor and thus we don't test on it which is why bugs like these doesn't get fixed.

I would recommend using one of the supported Distros to resolve issues like these.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Unity should work well on any distribution that are forks, based on, either Ubuntu or CentOS. It works as intended on Linux Mint for example.

6. senkal_

senkal_

@APSchmidt
    I understand where are you coming from but, especially in things like graphical environment, it's tough.
    Should Unity go to every fork and check GTK configuration?
    But as a price there will be substantial % drop of general fixes for Linux.
    Would you agree for this trade off?

For example, your general bug is not fixed/replicated/picked up because there are cases like Elementary OS and QA person time was spent there instead.

That's the reality of Linux at the moment, small market.
    I perfectly understand them.
    Would I wish things were better? Of course.
    But I want many things which will never happen, unfortunately :)

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

Okay, you misundestood my "should". I meant that Unity is likely to work fine with any Linux distro that is based on Ubuntu or CentOS. I hope this is clearer. :)

8. senkal_

senkal_

@APSchmidt
    Yeah, got it wrong.
    In theory you can be right, but I don't have enough knowledge in this field to be able to tell how hard it would be and how much work it requires.
    So for me, personally, I am happy with what we have at the moment.
    Of course I see places where I think things were a little rushed or could be improved in general.
    For now, I will focus on using Ubuntu but will monitor the situation, Ubuntu is not my favorite distro, that's for sure.

9. andrews_unity

andrews_unity

Unity Technologies

I am not saying it won’t work :) what I am saying is we don’t test it on anything but base Ubuntu 16.04,18.04 and Centos 7.

The forks clearly aren’t the same or there would be no need for them. So we cannot say that it will work correctly for example clearly elementary OS does have a different setup for gnome than standard Ubuntu.

10. Rublettio

Rublettio

Thank you for the feedback. Time to ditch Elementary for Ubuntu. Due to budget constraints Linux is my only option, I am grateful that unity at least offers support for the major distros.

11. IpyZ

IpyZ

Lars-Steenhoff and volfase like this.