Search Unity

ElectroServer 5.1 released!

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by jobemakar, Dec 17, 2010.

1. jobemakar

jobemakar

ElectroServer 5.1 was released today with tons of updates that you can read about in the release notes. Aside from added examples and documentation, the biggest enhancements are noted here.

Bandwidth optimization
    The bandwidth used for the most common message types was reduced significantly. It was already light weight but we were able to optimize it much further. In addition, messages can be set to automatically compress if over a certain size threshold.

Increased performance
    We tuned the low-level messaging layer to achieve unprecedented performance. We've done testing to more than 100,000 messages per second with very low CPU impact (on EC2). This level of performance gives the server-side portion of your game plenty of room for its own logic to be executed.

JavaScript client API
    A JavaScript client API was added to the arsenal. This is an important addition to the server to give it the broadest cross-platform reach of any multiplayer game server out there. ElectroServer has client APIs for ActionScript 2, ActionScript 3, Java, JavaScript, C#, and Objective-C. These APIs gives developers multiplayer support for Flash, AIR, Unity, .Net, XNA, iPhone/iPad, Android, native browser, and more.

Note: The JavaScript API isn't directly important for Unity developers since you can use the faster C# API (even when scripting using JavaScript).

Download the latest here:
    http://www.electrotank.com/resources/downloads.html

2. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

I can't seem to find any price information.

3. jobemakar

jobemakar

4. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Ah, thanks.

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

Congrats to the release :)

As for the pricing / tiers: I think the free CCU needs an upgrade, Electro is at the time rather weak on that end since SFS 2X and Photon both upgraded their free CCU to 100

6. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Will there ever be more Unity examples? I don't even really understand how to play the Unity RTS example. Something like a first person shooter or a 3d explorable chat (like SFS's multiplayer island demo) would be nice to dissect.

7. jobemakar

jobemakar

@dreamora
    Upping the free ccu is something that we are considering. I'm not sure when we'll address it. It hasn't been that big of a deal to our customers though as they generally anticipate much more than 100 ccu.

@legend411
    Yes! We have some things in the works. The Unity RTS game needs to have some instruction text added to the page, thanks for the feedback.

8. mowgliworf

mowgliworf

Awesome to see electroserver with Unity! I worked with it for years with my flash games.

Im going to check it out now :)

9. nevaran

nevaran

is this something like a master server for unity?

10. MTracerStudios

MTracerStudios

You told me you'd be finishing some sort of electro server demo around today? When is that happening?

PS: I'd like an example for syncing mobs and enemies.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  11. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

No. Its a networking backend.

12. jobemakar

jobemakar

MTracerStudios,

The example was finished this morning (12 hours ago). It was created by another member of Electrotank. I'm trying to find a good hour to review the code before I post it. It will definitely be an example that we'll iterate on over the course of a week or two.

So expect that I'll upload it before the end of the day...the next 4 hours or so.

13. jobemakar

jobemakar

MTracerStudios,

Shoot me an email and I'll provide you with the example. I just reviewed it and there are a few issues, so I don't want to make it publicly available yet. But I'll provide it to you with some notes. And we'll make it more solid after Christmas.

jobe at electrotank dot com

14. MTracerStudios

MTracerStudios

You can give me as many updates as you want. Please don't stop!!!

15. flamy

flamy

I would be pleased to see a video tutorial for installation and stuffs it is really tiring me out.... can u plz help...

I read the documentations but it is really hard for me to get the stuffs into my mind:(

16. NestorAlgieri

NestorAlgieri

Too bad since hi5 acquired them they no longer have support and doesn't work on ipv6 which iOS appstore requires. My license wasted. My game had to be rewritten! But it's cool! They were great still.