Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions. On July 12, the Unity Forums will become read-only. On July 15, Unity Discussions will become read-only until July 18, when the new design and the migrated forum contents will go live. Read our full announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.

Electronic Arts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by taumel, Nov 2, 2005.

1. taumel

taumel

Hi,

i've just read an german article about the last quarter of Electronic Arts.

They say that 69% of the sales already come from consoles like PS, XBox, GC - wow!
    Only 14% come from computer platforms.
    Handhelds make out 9%.

Don't ask me where the rest of 8% comes in...mafia, sueing? :O)

Greetings,

taumel

2. robertseadog

robertseadog

ok, well that sounds resonable right to me; if you wonna game, do you buy a xxxx$ pc or a xxx$ console? When the new ones come I expect that number to rise even further, the pc just can't compete anymore with a console when it comes to performance per dollar.

Also the console give you less of a geek factor (+ multiplayer out of the box), which can be inportant for a whole lot of people just wanting a light entertainment, or so I think.

3. taumel

taumel

Hi,

>>>ok, well that sounds resonable right to me; if you wonna game, do you buy a xxxx$ pc or a xxx$ console? When the new ones come I expect that number to rise even further, the pc just can't compete anymore with a console when it comes to performance per dollar.<<<

Hmm i would buy a console if i could plug it to my computer monitor. I don't wanna ruin my eyes with playing in front of a ordinary tv so i'm out as i'm not the target audience, i guess. Another problem is the content. You can't play serious, complex, adult like games on consoles. I know this is changing but mailnly it's still not here so i would prefer buying the pc till now. But let's wait till the new monsters are out... ;O)

>>>Also the console give you less of a geek factor (+ multiplayer out of the box), which can be inportant for a whole lot of people just wanting a light entertainment, or so I think.<<<

Yes indeed! "Power on, wait a bit and then play" beats "installing, patching, looking for no cd-fixes and so" on with ease.

Greetings,

taumel

4. socksy

socksy

The majority of EA's games are console based, and the ones that aren't are just ports to the PC - ones that usually don't work with the keyboard and mouse stuff. I bet if Valve told you their figures it wouldn't be nearly as much for their console sells like CS for Xbox.

5. taumel

taumel

Yes but:

1) Valve isn't so huge as EAS.
    2) EAS is around since ages and they have their roots in the computer games.

Greetings,

taumel

6. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

No one is as big as EA. Jeff

7. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

EA has ~25% of the market if I recall correctly... and is twice as big as the second-largest (I forget who).

d.

8. taumel

taumel

otee? ;O)

9. socksy

socksy

Exactly. Despite having the majority of games for the pc at the time, the pc market was far different than anything like today. It is likely if they wanted to make games like Nightfire, battlefield and black and white when starting up today, they wouldn't get most of their sales from the consoles. As it is, EA sports, and EA big and platformers like harry potter are the majority of the type of games that EA make. And these games don't sell very well on computers.

10. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

Last months' Game Developer had a round up of the best selling franchises. Guess what? By far the best sells were GTA Halo. Funny thing is: GTA started out on PC, then got ported due to economic reasons.

Same thing with Danish AAA-developer IO interactive: Hitman 1 was PC only. It had a large enough sales volume that they were allowed to ship on PS2. Guess what? Hitman2 sales were approx 10x higher due in a large part to the PS2 platform. Again, this is a game which is not overly arcadey.

Looking at my kid brother's games collection, I see: 30 original PS2 titles, 20 original XBOX title, 5 original PC (and app. 200 homeburnt CDs for the PC). I'd say a big part of the reason was right there.

11. taumel

taumel

>>>Same thing with Danish AAA-developer IO interactive: Hitman 1 was PC only. It had a large enough sales volume that they were allowed to ship on PS2. Guess what? Hitman2 sales were approx 10x higher due in a large part to the PS2 platform. Again, this is a game which is not overly arcadey.<<<

Buah Hitman was such a bad game. I've never understood why they got a second chance with this game...at least it's not my type of game, too steril...

>>>Looking at my kid brother's games collection, I see: 30 original PS2 titles, 20 original XBOX title, 5 original PC (and app. 200 homeburnt CDs for the PC). I'd say a big part of the reason was right there.<<<

Copying on pc is wide common but on the other side there always are good titles around which sell millions of copies. Look at Blizzard, Ensemble and so on.

There is also enough copied stuff available for the consoles. But it seems that copying on the consoles isn't so widespread at least these days.

It's really nice to have a fixed defined platform back like it was common in 8/16Bit days. Now if only you could have easy access to devtools licence and distribution.

Anyway i'm hoping for Alan Wake. :O) And by the way the next Futuremark will include PhysiX Benchmarks for Hard and Software...

Greetings,

taumel

12. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Haha I can see why you don't like the game then, since that is the base of the game style :p

13. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

Sales.

14. taumel

taumel

Hi,

>>>Haha I can see why you don't like the game then, since that is the base of the game style :p<<<

I find it quite odd and useless to have the goal to make a steril game.

Greetings,

taumel

15. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

I played that game through, several times probably... just never stopped enjoying that sneaky-bastard gameplay.

Also, like Nicholas said, Hitman 1 sold well, Hitman 2 (and maybe 3) sold excellently. After that I'm not so sure, but by the time the money spent on development and PR was well recouped.

IOInteractive who were behind Hitman is based in Denmark and I know a guy who got some small % (maybe 0.5 or 1 or 1.5?) of the sales of Hitman 2. He's pretty well off still.

d.

16. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

Just a small correction: Hitman 3 (Contracts) hasn't sold very well (not very well still being numbers we can only dream of)... The tech was too old, and they still hadn't gotten all bugs out of the character control...

Hitman 4 looks mighty nice, though...

As for sterile, I guess that's a personal thing, but since they are portraying a cold, merciless world, it seems a fairly logical art direction choice...

17. taumel

taumel

Hi you two,

let's just say it's a personal thing...in my opinion there are far better games for sneaking and killing than hitman. When i wanna tell a story then it's also no plus to be steril. Neither if it's a game, a comic or a movie. And again each medium has far better examples how it could be done...

/me is counting his time till a hired hitman from the developer now comes home to him. Or will it be David on his own? ;O)

Greetings,

taumel