Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Efficient Collaborate Workflow

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by gonzo_cgcookie, Sep 1, 2016.

1. gonzo_cgcookie

gonzo_cgcookie

Hello,

I am a developer with a small team developing a game. Currently there are three of us involved within Unity to add art assets and in general test things out. I've personally used Collaborate alone for a while, but we're having issues using it as a team and wanted to know if we are using it improperly or if Collaborate is just having issues.

Some of the issues we've had include having "conflicts" with files. Typically one person was working on a scene and another as well and during the process we are prompted to make updates to our local project. When doing so we get a number of conflicts with files. I assume this is because similar files are being edited. Is there a way to notify other team members when a file is being modified in the project?

On a similar note is there a way to resolve these conflicts in a much quicker manner? In one instance there were 400 changes made which seemed a bit ridiculous and I had to manually try to "use theirs". It would be great to have a quick selection check box that allowed me to single out specific changes to be used as my version or theirs.

I eventually had an issue where I couldn't update a "meta" file for one the the FBX files that was clearly in my project. Does Collaborate have issues adding in assets/files that were previously deleted?

I ended up rebuilding the project by signing into Unity and downloading the latest version from the cloud which meant I lost a few things I was working on previously since I couldn't update or upload my version.

2. quixotic

quixotic

Administrator

What kind of conflicts do you run into?

We do have a feature that's currently in a preview build that gives you a quick look like so:

Little orange icon lets you know a person it working on it, and in the inspector it tells you the name of the person working on the scene or prefab. That will be available for use soon!

Right now there's isn't a quick way of resolving a large number of conflicts. Though, under Collaborate history you can "restore" to the latest version to get rid of changes you don't want. We are working on partial publish, which will let you just send up the changes you want.

Collaborate does have some bugs around things that are previously deleted, if it's something you run into I hope you'll file a bug and send the number my way--seeing how devs run into it is really useful.

Edit: fixing image link

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  3. gonzo_cgcookie

gonzo_cgcookie

I'm not able to see the image, not sure why. The icon would be great to have even more so with the name of the person working on it. I would say that's the biggest request we'd have regarding collaborate, well other than the quickly resolving multiple conflicts but I believe we can resolve that issue with better communication. So far Collaborate has been great and if we run into any big issues we'll be sure to submit bugs, thanks for the info!

4. slcrubes

slcrubes

Speaking of not seeing images, I haven't been able to see any images posted by any of the Unity people lately (including the one above). All I see are broken image holders.

holliebuckets likes this.
  5. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

ya.....

Green_Cafe likes this.
  6. Green_Cafe

Green_Cafe

@holliebuckets I see that image that you just posted. But like the others said, 95% of the images you guys post fail to show on my end. I don't know what is causing it.

holliebuckets likes this.
  7. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

they didn't post good links lol
    i don't see them either ^_^