Search Unity

Edy's Vehicle Physics - official thread

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Edy, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Edy

Edy

Ok, I see the problem. I assume the latest picture are the non-trigger colliders, right?

The number one rule for WheelColliders is: ensure the top half of each WheelCollider component is inside the vehicle's non-trigger colliders. The pic below is from Vehicle Physics Pro (https://vehiclephysics.com/user-guide/3d-models/#vehicle-collider) but you get the point:

Other than that, I wonder if resembling the vehicle's shape in such detail with box colliders is really necessary. Such setups may cause many problems on the vehicle getting stuck in the scenery, or other objects getting stuck inside the vehicle. Here's an example of what can happen when using such detailed collider setup in PUBG:

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBGMobile/comments/aqg8h8/im_quite_proud_of_our_vehicle_physics_brendan/ (click to see the animation):

upload_2019-2-28_12-18-52.png

The best collider setup for a vehicle is either a convex shape enclosing it, or several overlapping convex shapes for better fitting to the geometry. The "overlapping" part is important as prevents other objects to get stuck in the middle of two colliders. The picture below shows a car with two convex colliders that are partially overlapped, which is correct:

upload_2019-2-28_12-21-54.png

imDanOush, sharkapps and devotid like this.
  2. Rowlan

Rowlan

When I try to use Unity's FreeLookCameraRig the car stutters like crazy. Any idea how to prevent that? I already disabled Vehicle View Config.

Looks like this, click thumbnail to see it animated:

edy.gif

3. devotid

devotid

Try setting the cameras rigidbody to "interpolate" (if there is one on it.). That should smooth it out. The vehicles in Edy Physics have their RB set to interpolate to make em super smooth.

Edy likes this.
  4. Rowlan

Rowlan

The camera doesn't have one, but the FreeLookCameraRig has one. And that's set to Interpolate. But setting the car's Rigidbody to Interpolate None helped. In case you have another suggestion, I'd like to try it, super smoothness is what i want :D

5. Edy

Edy

It looks like that camera rig has not interpolation and/or the movement is processed in FixedUpdate, not in Update or LateUpdate. The super smoothness requires:
    • Car's rigidbody interpolation enabled
    • Camera movements processed in Update or LateUpdate (the latest is more correct).
    • Camera using the vehicle's transform.position as reference of rotation, or looking at, or whatever the nature of the camera is (i.e not using rigidbody.position nor any other physics-based component as reference).
    • May be required by the nature of the camera: smooth movement using Lerp/Slerp and Time.deltaTime.

sharkapps and Rowlan like this.
  6. EIEE_assetstore

EIEE_assetstore

Hi Edy and oxydozg. I am using the EVP in my project with a Logitech G920. I need to apply Forcefeedback to the steering wheel using a constant force. How can I do this? What force, and where can I find that force(s) that I can use for this task? Thanks.

Rowlan likes this.
  7. Rowlan

Rowlan

Is there a way to prevent the particles going inside the car? Also the particles aren't affected by light, they are always bright, so at night they are white. How can I prevent this?

My scene currently looks like this and the smoke particles in the car are a bit distracting:

Thanks for the help!

8. Rowlan

Rowlan

Additional note: It would be really awesome if you guys could make a tutorial about how to rig a car from scratch with Edy's. It's been a pain to do so, lots of problems. The documentation is only a white page currently. A video using the current version of Edy's would be great. Other people have the same problem and keep asking me now how I did it, but I rather prefer the publisher would do this. Thanks for the consideration.

9. Rowlan

Rowlan

@Edy Will you guys create an updated documentation / video about how to rig a car model with Edy's? People keep asking me how to do that.

10. Edy

Edy

@Rowlan, this video shows the process from scratch to the working vehicle:

11. Edy

Edy

Particles are standard Unity particles so you may configure the Particle System in the way you want. In this case you may play with the Collision section of the Particle System component:

upload_2019-3-7_13-43-5.png

12. daniozi117

daniozi117

Hi!
    I have a problem related to wheels meshes Transform. When enter in trigger wheel meshes are not on correct position even though wheel colliders are on correct place where they have to be. Using all methods of triggers OnTriggerEnter, OnTriggerStay and OnTriggerExit. So any suggestion from your side ...

Attached Files:

13. lukeluzardo

lukeluzardo

hi im planning on building a bulldozer with this asset and i need a way to setup the tracks can anyone tell me please

14. Edy

Edy

15. lukeluzardo

lukeluzardo

edy i sent and email to you check your mail to find my email

16. lukeluzardo

lukeluzardo

edy can you make me a track script for my bulldozer please

17. ZenMicro

ZenMicro

Hi Edy, Can you report on your plans for Gears weather Auto or Manual over what currently is in place which is just the EVPAudio.simulatedGear? are you still planning to implement or is this abandoned?

If it's done with, has anybody else written a script to handle actual gears (cutting power during a shift etc)?

Cheers

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  18. sharkapps

sharkapps

Hi @Edy, do you know what could be causing this behavior with skidmarks on Unity 2018.3? I am working on a branch of a project that I updated from Unity 2017.3 to 2018.3.10f1. I inserted pauses in the video where the errant skidmarks appear.

19. Edy

Edy

Yes, it's a bug in the skidmarks code. It comes from a discrepancy between the physics contact point and the visual contact point. It will be fixed in the next update. Thanks for reporting!

Meanwhile, as workaround you can configure Wheel Position Mode = Fast in the advanced settings. This will remove the issue.

upload_2019-4-4_12-55-53.png

sharkapps likes this.
  20. sharkapps

sharkapps

This resolves the issue for me. Enjoying your twitter posts, btw! Thanks again.

21. b1gry4n

b1gry4n

What would be the easiest way to set up the tire smoke to show up on handbrake skid marks? Ive noticed it only shows up when the wheels dont have traction, but not when the handbrake skids happen. Tire marks are fine, I would just like to include tire marks + tire smoke.

Thanks

22. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

Would it be possible with Edy's Vechicle Physics to set up a weird suspension that would work in this sci-fi vehicle (from the asset store):

That asset comes with a simple physics setup with a suspension that just moves the wheels with terrain. The elaborately modeled suspension pieces are then static. Ideally the lower pieces that attach to two wheels each would rotate and the big upper suspension bar things would react at least somewhat to terrain.

If that's not a good fit for Edy's, is there another asset that is more geared toward that sort of thing? I already own Edy's, so of course that was my first thought.

23. lukeluzardo

lukeluzardo

every time i delete an object with box colliders it gives me an error saying Missing reference exception the object of type box collider has been destroyed

24. buc

buc

How to network the rear wheels movement?
    I've managed to move the car via network and also the front wheels are moving. But how would you go to have the rear wheels move according to the rigidbody speed?

25. buc

buc

Still having problems to get the car networked:

- I've copied the content of VehicleStandardInput into a custom NetworkedInput and adapted it so it can read the input transfered over the network. It's almost all the same code, just instead of Input.GetAxis, inserted the transmitted input values.

- the car body position gets replicated over the network and the front wheels can steer nicely to left/right

- but the wheel-spinning is not matching the car's velocity, especially they keep spinning when the car stands still or are not spinning at all when the car moves which looks weird like a sliding car. Which of them occurs depends on when the input occurs.

I've tried different things: with leaving all at how it was and also by stopping to execute and apply things to rigidbody and wheels if it is not the local-player. Nothing worked. Just poking around without help of the developer this can get frustrating.

26. amynox

amynox

Hello,

I just boght the asset.

I understand by reading the forum that the system is coded for 4 Wheels.

There is anyway to "cheat" and use it to rig a motocycle? (2 wheels)

I tried to add a other "virtual wheel" to make the motocycle "stand" but with no luck...

Thank your for your help

27. K1kk0z90_Unity

K1kk0z90_Unity

Hi @Edy ! :)
    How can I configure the number of gears of the car? I would like to keep the automatic transmission, but show the current gear to the player in the HUD. But I would like to choose how many gears does the car have.
    Thank you in advance! :)

28. Edy

Edy

Gears are computed in the VehicleAudio component, as currently they're used to play the engine audio only.

K1kk0z90_Unity likes this.
  29. K1kk0z90_Unity

K1kk0z90_Unity

Thank you very much for your answer!
    If I want to change the number of gears for a specific vehicle, can I do it without modifying the source code?
    Thanks again! :)

30. Edy

Edy

Yes, the parameters for the simulated engine and transmission are exposed in the audio component.

K1kk0z90_Unity likes this.
  31. ModularMining

ModularMining

Just started to use this add-on and I ran into something odd. The vehicle does not move at all unless the box collider is penetrating into the ground. If I raise the Box collider, the vehicle is not responsive to inputs. Not sure if the vehicle size has any issues, since we are using this on simulated Haul Trucks, these are 7 meters tall and about 250 tons empty. The tires are 13 feet tall. I checked the hierarchy and matches the demo vehicles. Only one exception, when i use Interpolate in rigidbody as demo vehicles, Unity crashes with infinite values? This model is pretty simple (body, 4 wheels) and using Standard Assets, I dont have any issues with physics. Any suggestions?

32. Edy

Edy

33. Camagine

Camagine

Silly question. How can i map a button, to put he car in reverse? i have EVP5 and cannot find anything that triggers reverse.

34. rajitgamingyt

rajitgamingyt

can you provide code so that we can rev up the engine with the press of accelerator even when the vehicle is stopped like in Vehicle Physics Pro demo?

35. topofsteel

topofsteel

Can't set up a car with small tires, golf cart actually. I went through the process with a car with normal sized wheels and didn't have this issue. On Play the front of the 'drivetrain' stretches out. Where can I start to troubleshoot this? Also, how do I set the distance in the 2nd Image? Mine always comes in at the elevation of the wheels? Thanks.

Suspension_02.PNG Suspension_01.PNG

36. topofsteel

topofsteel

I'm still working through the issue above. It's not the size of the wheels, but something is wrong with the Front Left wheel. How can I fix this, thanks.

Attached Files:

37. ajith_sreenivasan

ajith_sreenivasan

How do I change the size of the car??

38. samadqamar755

samadqamar755

Hi, i also just purchased this asset. I want to know where the mobile controls are? because i can't find a scene or a prefab for mobile controls. Please reply asap.

39. jeffmorris1956

jeffmorris1956

Edy, I'm surprised that you released Vehicle Physics Pro for free. I loaded some scenes into Unity 3D and tried to run them but the steering wheel icon doesn't show up on the left side of the screen. The icon shows up on the left side of the screen on the pickup truck demo that I downloaded from your website. How can I fix the problem?

40. jeffmorris1956

jeffmorris1956

Where is the VPDeviceInput script?

41. imDanOush

imDanOush

I have a Wheel Camber-related question @Edy , Imagine we increase the wheel cambers from -0 to -0.5 degrees. How this should affect the wheel colliders? I mean, Should changing the wheel-camber angel affect the wheelcollider properties at all? or does it affect tire friction? What exactly should be done for simulating the effects of wheel cambers? I actually have no idea and looking forward to your reply, Thanks.

42. Edy

Edy

The demos in the website were built with the Professional / Enterprise editions. The free Community edition supports steering wheels through the standard Unity Input class. Here are the instructions for configuring them:

https://support.vehiclephysics.com/16/logitech-g27wheel-pedal-set-setup

This component is included in the Professional and Enterprise editions.

Unity WheelColliders project their raycasts vertically with respect to the rigidbody they belong to. There's no physics effect on modifying the rotation of the wheels. I plan to implement camber as extra parameter to overcome this limitation. There's no date for this feature yet.

43. admin_unity486

admin_unity486

hey guys i was wondering if anyone knows how you can show and adjust the settings of the car power ect ect while its being played just like what i have here for the camber and ride height thanks guys

44. digiross

digiross

I've always wanted this asset. I see that it is on sale however it hasn't been updated since February 2018. So this still works with no glitches with say 2019.2. I know Edy has the Vehicle Pro for free but he recommends the other for simpler setup/usage. Thanks

45. Edy

Edy

Simply create an UI with an scripts that modifies the car's parameters when the user modifies the UI. All parameters are exposed in EVP, so it would be easy to configure them from an UI.

Indeed, I'm currently developing and testing it in Unity 2019.2.3f1. You'll only get the auto-upgrade process for the Terrain, which will generate a new folder with the generated terrain tiles.

digiross likes this.
  46. imDanOush

imDanOush

Well, I'm aware of how WC works, I want to manipulate the available values based on the camber. But I don't know if there is a mathematical equation or algorithm for it.

For example, the only thing I know is the radius and placement of the WheelCollider as shown below, but I don't know what else should I program to get changed when the player changes the wheel camber value. I hope I said it clearly!
    CamberSimulation.jpg
    Notice the upper right and the bottom tires are placed exactly at the same position of X-Axis.
    The green lines are wheelColliders, ofc.
    Kind regards,
    Looking forward to your reply, @Edy :)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  47. Untitl3d

Untitl3d

Thats interesting question and I also like to know! I dont think the radius of wheel colliders should change but the position should.

48. imDanOush

imDanOush

Good point @Untitl3d, but I disagree with you on not changing the Wheel Colliders' radius.

Based on the nature of Wheel Collider, we have to resize the radius to take the new dY of the y-component force of the tilted wheel into account. To illustrate it, let's have a look at the image below.
    • The Blue arrow shows the force vector.
    • The Green arrow shows the y-component of the force. It is obvious that the force equals its y-component at first. However, as we're tilting it sideways, the y-component will be F *Cos(Camber angle).
      AFAIK, The Wheel Collider doesn't care about the F, but the y-component. Hence we have to only calculate the component and serve it as the actual force for the Wheel component.
    • The Red rectangle roughly indicates the dY.
    ezgif.com-crop.gif
    I'm not a physicist and these are just my opinion.
    Best.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    Untitl3d likes this.
  49. admin_unity486

admin_unity486

hey guys i was wonder if someone could help me to display the VehicleController
    settings on the gui im having a hard time figuring it out be much appreciative thanks guys

50. iamtayyab14

iamtayyab14

Hiii
    I want to sit driver in my car So how can i put driver in car
    help plz