Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Educational version of Maya?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by N00B, Mar 19, 2006.

1. N00B

N00B

I'm just getting started with Unity and I'm looking around to find something that I can use for modeling and animating for a FPS typs game. Are there any limitations in using the Maya purchased through the educational licence (not the PLE version)?

The educational price of Maya is less than Cinema 4d and seems to have better support in Unity. Is there any drawback to this?

I qualify for the educational version and since it will be a while before I actually produce anything other than a demo I'm probably within the license, I'm just wondering if there are any technical limitations to it.

2. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

The EDU license should be equal to the "real" version in every way. You might want to read the license thoroughly to discern whether you can distribute games for sale using content created with this EDU license... but I wouldn't worry about it too much for now.

3. Sync1B

Sync1B

FYI, every one else looking at the PLE version stay away! I got very screwed by modeling a very big space station in that assuming PLE's would open in maya. I had ordered maya and it was taking a while due to some problems... Any way I tried (meaning jeff) to open my PLE document in regular maya. I was very suprised/pissed off and wanting to kill some one, to find that it wouldnt. So after some charming* emails to autodesk and a few days later im still stuck with a sweet model thats completely worthless. I hope you all can learn from my mistake.

No there are not any limitations but like antenna said read the agreement and enjoy maya, it's real nice. :D

Bill

4. greenland

greenland

They probably wanted to avoid people purchacing one licence for rendering and infinate PLE versions for all the workstations.

5. Sync1B

Sync1B

I realize that, but still I was very frustrated

Bill

6. jeremyace

jeremyace

PLE is basically a demo with no time limit. Generally demos don't like you saving files you can open in anything else. It sort of defeats the purpose of selling full software. Must have been a real pain though. I am suprized Alias/autodesk wouldn't convert it for you.

-Jeremy

7. greenland

greenland

I can imagine. You'd think there would be some way for people to start work on PLE, decide they like it, then finish it with the retail version... that would be the cool way to do it but then people would just exploit that. Maya should accept a PLE file... but only once. or something like that. If a hobbiest wants to try exporting from Maya, they either have to win the lottery or just blatantly steal a copy.

8. CryingRaven

CryingRaven

I know exactly how frustrating it can be to make a ccool model and not being able to use it... but let's not get into that, now

I actually read on the site before download that they do not allow import or export to or from PLE versions of any of thier software. It is for this reason that I do not bother with even trying out PLE versions. I mean what's the point?

They claim that by making a render of your work with a watermark over it is still good enough to show prospective employers your skills so that is a reward for using the free version of the software. That, however, is also ALL it is good for.

Now, in thier defence, if you think about it, it DOES make a lot of sense. What is to stop a community of people from creating work in a free version of a BLOODY expensive program (in my home country, the price of Maya is equivalent of what I earned in a year before deductions or expenses. I did a little calculation and found that I would have to save up for 2.5 years without buying anything in order to afford Maya...erm... how much time passed between the release of 6 and 6.5? And 7? Nice!) and then passing it on to one person who has a full release that allows for that free file to be opened "just once" before being saved to a format that can be used freely? It is for this reason that they disable all im/export features completely.

Heck, you are not even allowed to create your own exporters for your own file format...

I would recommend to those with the cash, get Maya full version. If you don't have it, go with Blender. It's powerful and free... 8)

9. Mr. Animator

Mr. Animator

I've used the educational and retail versions of maya, and they're identical. The edu license just kindly asks you not to do any professional work with it (aka don't make money with it). Unless you've got some big plans, the edu license should do you fine, and unlike PLE, files made in edu will work with retail, and vice versa. That way, if you ever DO create some wonderful bit of software you'd like to sell, you can always just give autodesk their money at that point and upgrade to the real deal.

10. CryingRaven

CryingRaven

So how big a saving are we talking here?

11. Sync1B

Sync1B

A lot, I got complete for around $300 USD. I bought it through the art institute there student store is here

Bill

12. CryingRaven

CryingRaven

I just had a look for myself and found a UK supplier at journeyedeurope.com

Maya 7 full version student bundle £205 and
    Motionbuilder full version student bundle only £125 (or thereabouts)!

Wow! I never realized I could have gotten it for this little! Thanks for that bit of info, mate! I will have to make sure I buy all my alias stuff before my course finishes this year :D