Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Education License for an app used in lectures

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Roaninho, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Roaninho

Roaninho

Hello!
    I'm a student at an university in Germany and would like to create an app for a lecture. The app is supposed to be distributed to the students of the class (e.g., through the respective app store) at the start of the semester.

Why do I ask my question here?
    I tried to contact unity through https://unity3d.com/contact/get-in-touch , but they never answered (20 days ago) and I'm not willing to write a e-mail every week like Tim Robbins in the shawshank redemption.

I'm confident this little app could improve the learning experience and give Unity some exposure in one of Germanys leading universities in the STEM-field. The professors (the institute is the largest of that university, hence plural) would like to approach this project in the next few months. Unfortunately, a Unity Pro license is required to begin working on that project. The institute checks all requirements listed here:
    https://unity.com/education/license-grant-program for the educational programm.

Now the interesting part: The institute would like to use Unity as a teaching tool, not to teach Unity in classes, as mentioned above.

Is this a permissible use case for a free Unity Pro license through the educational license?

If there is another way to contact a unity representative I would be happy to send another e-mail.
    Thanks for your help.

2. mgear

mgear

3. Roaninho

Roaninho

Thanks for your quick answer!

If the FAQ etc. were just a little bit more detailled (e.g., educational license has restrictions in terms of publishing, but these restrictions aren't defined anywhere) the amount of necessary e-mails would reduce greatly (under the premise that people read the FAQ, etc., before submitting a ticket).

Anyway, I send another mail to the e-mail adress mentioned in linked thread. Apparently, you already pinged the respective Unity representatives, thank you for that, I'm open for anything that accelerates the process and allows me to finally start working with Unity.