Search Unity

EditorWindow won't destroy

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by FeastSC2, Jun 19, 2017.

1. FeastSC2

FeastSC2

I have a custom EditorWindow and when I close it, it calls the OnDestroy() method.

So I assume it's been correctly deleted...
    However each time I create the window again with GetWindow it runs all the methods twice.
    And if I delete that 2nd EditorWindow, and create a new one, all the methods are running 3 times!

It's like the EditorWindow is not being deleted somehow! What can I do to make this stop?

EDIT: Oh nevermind I think it's something related to my OnEnable function. Someone handed me this code but I don't really understand it, I think it's the root of the problem.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. private void OnEnable()
    2.         {
    3.             if (SceneView.onSceneGUIDelegate != null) SceneView.onSceneGUIDelegate -= OnScene;
    4.             SceneView.onSceneGUIDelegate += OnScene;
    5.         }

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  2. shawn

shawn

Unity Technologies

Yeah, that code snippet isn't going to really work. Short answer is that your native representation of the EditorWindow is being destroyed (which calls OnDestroy), but the C# representation isn't because there's a reference being kept with this event. This code snippet is attempting but failing to remove the reference, because the OnScene this snippet is referring to is on a newer object than the original.

This is the pattern for registering for the onSceneGUIDelegate event we use internally:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. private void OnEnable ()
    2. {
    3.     SceneView.onSceneGUIDelegate += OnScene;
    4. }
    6. private void OnDisable ()
    7. {
    8.     SceneView.onSceneGUIDelegate -= OnScene;
    9. }

FeastSC2 likes this.
  3. FeastSC2

FeastSC2