Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

EditorVR not loading in Oculus headset

Discussion in 'EditorXR' started by nathanroberton, Jan 17, 2017.

1. nathanroberton

nathanroberton

I followed all the steps provided in the "Getting Started" doc, but when I open the EditorVR window and put on the headset I see a spinner and a message that says "Sorry, Unity.exe is taking a while to load. If this issue persists, please take off your headset and check this app on your computer."

I've waited 15+ minutes and nothing ever changes. I have tried quiting and restarting both Oculus and Unity, restarting Windows, creating a new project and repeating all the "Getting Started" steps, but always the same result. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have been experiencing Internet connectivity issues (bizarrely only when Oculus is running). Does anyone know if this requires an internet connection to run?

2. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

No internet connectivity is required on the EditorVR end.

What hardware specs / HMD are you using?
    Have you tried restarting the Oculus runtime under "Beta" in the settings?

3. JonHUnity

JonHUnity

This can happen when the "Oculus Utilities for Unity 5" package is not imported correctly into the project. Note that the download from https://developer3.oculus.com/downloads/ contains a .unitypackage which needs to be imported via Assets->Import Package->Custom Package...

4. nathanroberton

nathanroberton

Amirebrahimi, I'm running Oculus Rift (CV1) with Touch on a Razer Blade 14" with NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 graphics.

Hi, JonH. I have now tried importing it both ways and in different projects. I tried double-clicking and also through Assets->Import Package->Custom Package... as you described.

To be clear, then there are 3 packages to import altogether:
    1. EditorVR.unitypackage
    2. OculusUtilities.unitypackage
    3. OculusPlatform.unitypackage

I see in the instructions where it says to load the first 2 packages, but I didn't see any mention of the package you linked. Am I missing anything else?

5. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

The third package I'm not familiar with and isn't necessary.

6. nathanroberton

nathanroberton

OculusPlatform.unitypackage is what is contained in the download linked in the post above by JonHUnity. It lists a number of SDK's and then down under "Engine Integration" there is a line for "Oculus Utilities for Unity 5", which JonHUnity said was the improperly imported package. When I click the "details" button it takes me to a page that provides a download that contains only the "OculusPlatform.unitypackage".

I've tried it many times now both with and without the third package, always importing via Assets->Import Package->Import Custom Package...

I noticed that after importing OculusPlatform.unitypackage I get a new menu option of the same name with one item that says "Edit Settings". When I go there, I see in the inspector that an Oculus Rift App Id is required, but when I obtain and provide one I still get the same result. Since none of this is mentioned in the EditorVR instruction, it seems that this is indeed incorrect.

JonHUnity can you please clarify what unity package you were indicating I should import?

7. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

@JonHUnity only mentioned the "Oculus Utilities for Unity 5" in his post, so I'm not sure where you are getting the OculusPlatform part. This package isn't needed. I believe what he was mentioning is that you can't simply place the .unitypackage in your project folder and that you must import it.

8. BahuMan

BahuMan

Hi, I'm raising this thread from the dead because I'm getting the same error.
    I'm using an Oculus with 2 tracking cameras and 2 Oculus touch controllers. So far, I have made 3 projects in Unity using the VR tracking. Each project worked flawlessly initially: I was able to start the VR game in the Unity editor, mount my headset, and the position as well as orientation was tracked. After a while (I don't know what I changed), I started seeing the "Unity is taking a while to load" error and my headset only showed a blank space with a grid. However, in the unity editor the game seems to have started fine, with display1 showing a render of the left eye which moved and rotated correctly, as if tracking was working. No game in the HMD.

I saw this thread and I decided to create a new project from start. I imported the asset files again, making sure to import them in the right sequence and testing every step inbetween. Everything worked. I had tracking, I was able to load and display the touch controllers in the correct location. In the course of the project, I was experimenting with "grabbing" mechanics so I attached scripts to the "hand_right" and "hand_left" gameobjects in the LocalAvatar. As far as I know, nothing else changed. Suddenly, I am unable to load the game anymore.

I now get the same behaviour: the editor starts fine, no error messages, my pc monitor shows the left eye tracking for display1, the hand_left, hand_right and other objects are tracking correctly. But my HMD shows only "Unity.exe is taking a while to load".

TL,DR:
    1) HMD shows the error "Unity.exe is taking a while to load"
    2) import of assets is not the problem
    3) restarting pc, editor, and/or Oculus software doesn't help
    4) Unity seems to run fine and tracking seems to work

This is really frustrating. What can I do to investigate the issue?

UPDATE: when I build the project (x86_64), the built .exe works fine. I can start it from the Oculus library, close it from the oculus menu, and start it again. Tracking and HMD work perfectly.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  9. unity_andrewm

unity_andrewm

Unity Technologies

Bahuman - are you using EditorVR or just using the Unity Editor to make a VR Application?

10. digitald

digitald

I'm sort of happy to see I'm not the only person to have this problem. I have the exact same issues as described by Bahuman. Anytime I wanna test on the device I have to create a build which is a bit of pain. Things work find in the editor at first but then eventually I can't run on the device from editor. I always get the "Unity.exe is taking a while to load" message.

11. hhassan1230

hhassan1230

Hey @digitald did you find a solution to your "Unity.exe is taking a while to load?"
    I am getting the same error.

I am on the lastest unity using Oculus Utilities for Unity 1.18.1

12. unity_DrG5KGGUgbmWwA

unity_DrG5KGGUgbmWwA

Hi all,

is anyone able to help me out setting up the oculus rift for virutal presentations.

I work for a joinery company and want to use the oculus for model interation and walk throughs.

What would be the best software to get this up and running.

I am currently using VRED 2018 but i am having problems with the python script, as i no nothing about how they link and language etc.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Curtis

13. digitald

digitald

@hhassan1230 I have not, still have to create a build in order to actually test it on the device. Huge pain and slows things down a lot.

This thread is about EditorVR so I should mention I'm not using EditorVR. I also have suspicions that this starting happening after I updated to the Creators Update (not the fall one, before that).

Anyone at Unity have any tips or suggestions to figuring this out?

hhassan1230 likes this.
  14. unity_andrewm

unity_andrewm

Unity Technologies

15. hhassan1230

hhassan1230

yaffa and CloudyVR like this.