Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug EditorUtility.DisplayProgressBar not showing up anymore

Discussion in '2020.1 Beta' started by ImpossibleRobert, Jul 15, 2020.

1. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Is this a known bug? I have an editor script which worked just fine in 2019.4 and in 2020.1.b16 the progressbad is not displayed anymore in the GUI.

2. Prodigga

Prodigga

3. Prodigga

Prodigga

From release notes:
    Hmm. This is strange. Like I mentioned, maybe its not the a good use of the progress bar.. but if any editor tools depended on the progress bar as a way of preventing users input until a process is complete, there is a small window of time where those scripts might run into some problems. We were also using it as a way of showing the user that their action was acknowledged and was being worked on right now.

4. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

I had opened a bug for it yesterday: 1264191

LeonhardP, Peter77 and Prodigga like this.
  5. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

That would be the case only if that editor tool runs in parallel, like on another thread?

I would assume the change still blocks the main thread for those first 0.3s, because it's very simple to implement it that way, but it's not blocking anymore?

I find this change very interesting, because I wrote a "Reporting UI progress properly in Unity" article a few years ago and it seems it's exactly what they implemented now.
    http://web.archive.org/web/20160804220745/http://console-dev.de/?p=447

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  6. Prodigga

Prodigga

Yeah, that is the case for me (Web requests, file uploads, etc)

ImpossibleRobert and Peter77 like this.
  7. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

I also use it for file upload that runs async. The state is all shown correctly (eg buttons disabled) just the progress does not pop up anymore as it did in 2019.3

Peter77 likes this.
  8. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Just educated guessing, but @Aras could this be a potential side-effect of what I think your team has done with the nice progress popup that now shows more info while Unity is busy?

9. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

10. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Hmm yeah so the issue is that this API was only ever mean to be used for "blocking" operations, i.e. where the control never returns to Unity for the duration of the progress bar. Doing it from inside OnGUI does return control to Unity though, at which point (due to the new "busy" progress bar in 2020.1) the code goes "ha! I'm no longer not-responding! no need to keep on showing the progress bar"

For "background" operations in the editor, the https://docs.unity3d.com/2020.1/Documentation/ScriptReference/Progress.html class is what you most likely want to use.

TerraUnity and ImpossibleRobert like this.
  11. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

I just changed it to the new Progess() mechanism. This is so much cooler!! And looks way more professional. Thanks for providing this.

LeonhardP and Peter77 like this.
  12. moose0847

moose0847

Is there any existing documentation on this busy progress bar? I'm seeing a similar issue where I need to perform a blocking operation in the editor, but EditorUtility.DisplayProgressBar isn't drawing anything.

13. thesanketkale

thesanketkale

@Aras, all the background operations gets canceled when the editor enters play mode. What to do if a file upload operation needs to be blocking until it is running? (Like not get auto cancelled by doing something else in the editor)

14. thesanketkale

thesanketkale

Anyone? Please tell me if this is possible or not. The new background process in 2020 is good, but if by mistake the user hits the play button in the editor, the background process shuts down. How can I work around this to ask the user to wait until the process completes or keep the process running in background?

I am not able to find much information on this in the Unity Docs.

hand-baba-shouta likes this.
  15. Flying_Banana

Flying_Banana

In a blocking call, we can't update the progress of the current progress bar, but if we use EditorCoroutines, we lose the ability to block the user from performing potentially conflicting operations while the task is being performed. Any way to do a blocking task while also updating the progress bar?

Prodigga likes this.
  16. Prodigga

Prodigga

Yeah I need to block the editor while I am doing some work. I have an async method that does a bunch of stuff over the course of a few frames in the editor (web requests, configuring some services). during this time I want to prevent the user from clicking around the editor, so I want to display the progress bar. I want it shown when I 'display progress bar', and I want it gone only when I call 'clear progress bar'.

The new progress bar changes are confusing. The progress bar is trying to be too clever, and not allowing me to drive it the way I want. I want to drive the blocking progress bar popup window myself fully and completely.

'EditorUtility.DisplayProgressBar' is no longer a command but a suggestion, and this kinda sucks.

@Aras

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  17. Prodigga

Prodigga

bump I guess. I need a way to block the editor from input until I am done doing what I need to do. otherwise I need to write a lot of code to work around the fact that the user might perform some action (like hitting play) and interrupt what I am trying to do.

I understand this is a heavy handed solution (to block the entire editor), but this is for internal tools and we are a small team. It saves us a lot of work to just be able to suspend the editor until our work is done.

18. Deozaan

Deozaan

Just curious: if you want to block the entire editor anyway, why use an async method? If you want to be heavy handed, do it on the main thread and block the editor.

19. Flying_Banana

Flying_Banana

Because you want to show a progress bar if the task takes a while. Currently the progress bar won't update if you do a blocking call.

Deozaan likes this.
  20. Prodigga

Prodigga

In my case, I have a few Async methods that I need to chain together. Async/await is really easy to work with. I have an Async method to perform some git operations, another to launch a local nodejs server and wait for it to start listening so I can test locally, and another case where I want to perform a few http client Async web requests. It's just easier and cleaner to write Async/await code.

Problem is the editor isn't really frozen when I am doing these things and the progress bar Api refuses to let me block input like it used to.

Deozaan likes this.
  21. moose0847

moose0847

22. Adrian

Adrian

The forums are not a good avenue for feedback, it's up to luck if the right Unity developer checks it and many times they don't. The encouraged way is to file bug reports for everything, this gets your feedback into Unity's system and makes sure it's looked at. All of you having a specific use-case should report a bug with it.

Not in my experience. You just call
    EditorUtility.DisplayProgressBar
    periodically in your blocking code and the progress bar gets updated fine.

Prodigga and Peter77 like this.
  23. moose0847

moose0847

@Adrian is there a ticketing system or site somewhere? I looked around and every link eventually pushed me to a forum post that said feature requests should be added in as forum posts.

Also regarding your experience what do you mean by "in your blocking code"? Do you just run a while loop and create a stall in the program?

24. Adrian

Adrian

@moose0847 AFAIK there are no Unity people hired to collect feedback and reports from the forums. The devs that do check the forum do it voluntarily and often irregularly. There's the public issue tracker but that's mostly for checking the state of current issues. The actual issue tracker is private and you can only submit bug from the editor. The bug reporter is maybe not the right avenue for requesting new features but in this case, where they changed an existing feature and you can create a repo case illustrating how you want to use it and why it's not working, I think it has the most prospects.

I'm using the progress bar when doing batch asset processing that's blocking the editor and update the progress bar in-between. The article @Peter77 posted earlier shows good examples of how it's supposed to be used.

25. Morphus74

Morphus74

Sorry to necro that post, but did anyone ever found a solution?

26. Prodigga

Prodigga

No. We need to over engineer our in-house tools to consider all sorts of different editor user interruptions (asset creation/deletion, play mode enter/exit, assembly reloading, your custom editor window being closed by user, etc). Aras says to use the "background operations" feature instead - because I guess its the *proper* way? :rolleyes:

Just let me block the damn editor. :p

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  27. Morphus74

Morphus74

Agree... I just try using an Editor Windows, it work... but it update about once every 15 seconds, while the Console keep editing non stop... so sad that something that simple, is so complicated... thank for feedback

28. Morphus74

Morphus74

I also try the "progress" class, and see no way to make it appear visually when call in editor by the menu.

Unity still use the ProgressBar or a similar class
    upload_2021-4-1_18-53-51.png

Why can't we have access to it?

29. sirleto

sirleto

i have the same problem, still.
    using 2021.3.5f1 and inside an OnGUI() i am having some blocking code running for 10+ seconds
    it is 3 for() loops each, taking about 4 seconds, and inside it i call EditorUtility.DisplayProgressBar("Light Probe Producer", "checking grid for possible sizes ", x / size_x);

the window is shown, with the text from the initial call, but then no progress bar visual is drawn - nor ever updated.
    even if i take mypercentage and add it to the string that never changes from the first showing.

i guess this is what Aras meant in this comment above, but with Progress class it also doesnt work for me.
    any ideas how to solve this?

arkano22 likes this.
  30. arkano22

arkano22

DisplayProgressBar is utterly broken for me in 2020 and up (currently using 2021.3.0f, but tried 2020 as well), compared to how it used to work. It may appear, it may not, if it does appear it may update the progress bar, or it may be frozen until it goes away.

In 2019 and older versions is consistently appeared and it was always updated just fine. The new Progress class won't work for me since I'm doing a blocking operation and Progress must be called inside a coroutine, returning control to the editor with yield. I want to block the editor while showing a progress bar.

This is the code I'm using for the ProgressBar:

Code (CSharp):
    2. IEnumerator coroutine = SomeCoroutine();
    3. CoroutineJob.ProgressInfo progressInfo;
    5. while (coroutine.MoveNext())
    6. {
    7.        var progressInfo = coroutine.Current as CoroutineJob.ProgressInfo;
    8.        EditorUtility.DisplayProgressBar(title, progressInfo.userReadableInfo, progressInfo.progress);
    9. }
    11. EditorUtility.ClearProgressBar();
    The ProgressInfo class is just the return type of my coroutine, which I'm manually advancing inside a while loop and calling DisplayProgressBar inside this loop. This is the intended use case I assume, for it to be called inside a tight loop?

If so, this has worked fine in all previous versions but is completely broken in >2020. Any ideas?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
  31. Jonathan-Tremblay

Jonathan-Tremblay

I found a workaround to get the progress bar to update: I added a Thread.Sleep() command in my loop.
    With a millisecond sleep time, update of the progress bar is working, but it is choppy. Update would be more fluid with a longer sleep time (e.g., 100 milliseconds), but of course, it would take much longer, because the loop execution is suspended every time...
    This workaround works with DisplayProgressBar and DisplayCancelableProgressBar. I tested it on Mac and Windows, with versions 2021.3.16 (LTS), 2022.1.11 and 2022.2.1.

32. nicoplv-auto

nicoplv-auto

sirleto and moose0847 like this.
  33. Jonathan-Tremblay

Jonathan-Tremblay

I used this Thread.Sleep() technique successfully in a small free tool now available on the Asset Store (https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/export-project-to-zip-243983). The code is also available on GitHub (https://github.com/JonathanTremblay/UnityExportToZip).

sirleto likes this.